Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part II

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Love Boeser he's great. How can anyone not love Boeser? Just look at the guy, watch him play, he's got heart, you don't trade a guy like that...we need him.

Reactions: sting101

sid232

Oct 9, 2019
He had 50% of our scoring chances this game and a post ....
First of all, its not like he created any of those chances. They were great passes off the rush or when the team was 6 on 5 and on the man advantage. Second it was his job as a scorer making six million to finish one of those great chances and he didn't. I would be fine if he provided some other tangible attribute for the team whether as a playmaker, skater, defensive prowess, or physicality, but he doesn't really have any of those attributes. His job is to score and he didn't and he hasn't really been proficient scorer for the team for a long time. Think about this for a second, Tyler Motte had two more shots then Boesar and the same amount of goals in those playoffs despite Motte not getting any PP time. That is frankly embarrassing for a supposed shooter making six million.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
give him two weeks off then stick him in a bubble with a skills coach and make him practice nothing but sealing off the boards when the other team's d is clearing the zone on his side over and over and over and over and over

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Boeser has shown some strong boards edge work and solid playmaking ability. Saying he does not have these attributes is dumb.

If we can get a young top 4-man of very similar age and value, you do it, but otherwise keep him because hes one of our best wingers and part of the core.

He had a great series all around.

sid232

Oct 9, 2019
Boeser has shown some strong boards edge work and solid playmaking ability. Saying he does not have these attributes is dumb.

If we can get a young top 4-man of very similar age and value, you do it, but otherwise keep him because hes one of our best wingers and part of the core.

He had a great series all around.

During both the Blues series and the Vegas series he was constantly outmuscled off the puck when he was battling for the puck on the boards so I disagree on that front. Playmaking..... his seven assists were more a byproduct off playing with extremely skilled players. Again whatever skill he has as a playmaker do not justify paying him the money he is paid. He has himself said in interviews that he is a shooter first and to be outshot by a player who plays on the fourth line without any PP time is inexcusable. He had one great game this series and thats it.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
During both the Blues series and the Vegas series he was constantly outmuscled off the puck when he was battling for the puck on the boards so I disagree on that front. Playmaking..... his seven assists were more a byproduct off playing with extremely skilled players. Again whatever skill he has as a playmaker do not justify paying him the money he is paid. He has himself said in interviews that he is a shooter first and to be outshot by a player who plays on the fourth line without any PP time is inexcusable. He had one great game this series and thats it.

Boeser was not very good in the Blues series besides Game 6. He was also not good in the first two or three games in the Vegas series but since then has been one of the best Canucks forwards. He won most of his puck battles, showed a boost in speed, and did a lot of good things while trying his ass off.

He was playing with skilled players because he is a skilled player himself. You are underrating his playmaking skills. Boeser was also quite noticeable today out of the forwards and atleast created chances. He also had Lehner beat but hit the post. Motte has played exceptionally well, so no harm there. The problem here is that Newell Brown and his shitty system has failed to make any adjustments and used Boeser poorly in terms of where to place him.

Boeser had 3 great games in this series and was ok in this one.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
4 goals in 17 playoff games and Chris Tanev scored more ES points than Boeser did.

I did think there was occasionally some battle level along the boards that I didn't know he had, but it came in fits and starts and was far from consistent. And he didn't hurt the team defensively. But as a skill player, he was generally left behind by the ES pace of playoff games and struggled to make an impact.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Boeser reminds me a bit of when the Sedins were in their early years. While he doesn't share their elite hockey sense, it is very good but he's still a step behind and not quite agile or strong enough.

He did show a propsensity to battle harder and get into the dirty areas, and was pretty strong defensively (though still too often indecisive with the puck).

Overall I think this is a player who can improve a lot by getting leaner, stronger and with the right attitude/compete level (which I think he has).

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Wonder how long this will haunt him

image0.jpg

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Boeser reminds me a bit of when the Sedins were in their early years. While he doesn't share their elite hockey sense, it is very good but he's still a step behind and not quite agile or strong enough.

He did show a propsensity to battle harder and get into the dirty areas, and was pretty strong defensively (though still too often indecisive with the puck).

Overall I think this is a player who can improve a lot by getting leaner, stronger and with the right attitude/compete level (which I think he has).

honestly, in a vacuum (as in, boeser doesn't have an identical twin brother he's played with since he first held a stick) boeser does have their elite hockey sense.

he just lacks the fundamentals to use it effectively. and i think you're right on the money that he needs a physical leap like the one they had between 2004 and 2005.

but just as important, he knows where to go he just doesn't know how to get his stick in the right passing lane or how to knock the puck loose or how to hug the boards to hold the zone or how to use his body to shield the puck when he's carrying it or... so many little things the sedins drilled and drilled until they were stars, then superstars.

in a way, i think boeser also reminds me of someone like rob brown, who scored 50 goals/100 points on mario's line in 1989. he was a guy who got by totally on elite (offensive) hockey sense and hand skills. but he was slow, didn't work hard away from the puck, and never improved, and by 1994 he was back in the minors fulltime. boeser as far as i can tell has the work ethic and the desire to do the little things. he just needs someone to show him how to do what he wants to do effectively, because up to now he's been smart enough and skilled enough to never have to learn.

in a spectrum from rob brown to ray sheppard to brett hull, i don't think there's that much separating those guys in terms of talent. it's really just effort and attention to details.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Boesers problem has always been taking too long to do something.. passes, shots.. now that hes known players will stick to him and he will no longer be as effective

Trade him while he still has value

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Boeser is an integral part of the Canucks' young corps, and one of Jimbo's greatest draft successes considered where he was picked.

I thought once the Canucks might be kicking the tires on a possible trade, but I've changed my mind. He isn't going anywhere.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Boeser is an integral part of the Canucks' young corps, and one of Jimbo's greatest draft successes considered where he was picked.

I thought once the Canucks might be kicking the tires on a possible trade, but I've changed my mind. He isn't going anywhere.
Agreed. If somebody finds me a better 1st line RW, we can start discussing a potential trade for Boeser. "trade him while he still has value". I think he's a steal at $5.8M. My prediction is his PPG will bounce back up over the next 2 seasons and he could become a $7M player like Pastrnak.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Only way we should look at trading him is if we get a young stud RHD in return. Something like Boeser for Dobson. Otherwise we keep him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I understand the push-back on the 'trade Brock' talk. And under normal circumstances trading a young scoring winger just entering the prime of his career would be nonsense.

The problem for the Canucks is their substandard blueline. Unless they can fix it and quickly, they risk squandering some of the best seasons of their young corps.

I suppose there's hope that Rafferty, Juolevi and Rathbone can eventually step-up and play. But that's far from a certain thing.

As the old saying goes in the trade market--sometimes you have give up 'something' to get 'something'.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I understand the push-back on the 'trade Brock' talk. And under normal circumstances trading a young scoring winger just entering the prime of his career would be nonsense.

The problem for the Canucks is their substandard blueline. Unless they can fix it and quickly, they risk squandering some of the best seasons of their young corps.

I suppose there's hope that Rafferty, Juolevi and Rathbone can eventually step-up and play. But that's far from a certain thing.

As the old saying goes in the trade market--sometimes you have give up 'something' to get 'something'.
I’d trade Boeser for Ekblad. Not a chance would I trade him for a guy if Dumba’s level though.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I’d trade Boeser for Ekblad. Not a chance would I trade him for a guy if Dumba’s level though.

Yeah, does anybody really think we're shopping Brock just to shake things up?
We need a young top 2-3 Dman way more than we do a winger. But we trade Brock to make the team better, nothing less.

Brock is a fabulous young talent. If he's the key piece that gets us our Werenski, McAvoy, Ekblad, Chabot type, we have to do it.

Reactions: Luckylarry

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
These dramatic one-for-one blockbusters have a habit of blowing up in the face of at least one of the teams.

Do you think the Oilers would like a 'do-over' in trading Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson? And what about the Habs-Bolts getting together on a one-for-one--Sergachev for Drouin? I remember some posters saying that Bergevin and the Habs had made out like bandits.

But watching Sergachev in these playoffs and Drouin float around out there for the Habs, it's looking lopsided now.

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your point of view), the Canucks and Wild just aren't a fit on a Dumba trade. Wild need centers and the Canucks don't have any, other than Sutter. And that ain't happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad