Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2019-20 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I swear this team is playing with no defensive structure! It is currently horrible as is... Thompson for sure is not the answer as a head coach developing our youngsters. :ha:

I liked him as an assistant with the isles. I don’t like him as a talent/prospect developer.

I’m actually surprised Lou didn’t make a change there.

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
I liked him as an assistant with the isles. I don’t like him as a talent/prospect developer.

I’m actually surprised Lou didn’t make a change there.
Maybe Mitch Korn will let some notes for Uncle Lou at the GMs office... I am just happy that Soderstrom is not playing with that headless "chicken run" in front of him!

Reactions: SI90

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Without looking too much into this 4-0 loss, several things are very disappointing.

I'm surprised by BPort's ineptitude to this point. They're dead last in their division and they've scored all of 11 goals in 6 games. Not even 2 goals per game!!!

Looking at that roster, with a good group of proven vets and several of our most promising prospects, that is anything but inspiring.

I find myself asking:
- Where the f*** is the 56-goal Bellows of his draft year?
- Why aren't the more experienced Bernier, Fritz, Lorito, McDonald, St. Denis, and Bourque creating some offense in those more difficult times?
- Where is the 25-year old Mason Jobst who looked so good in the NHL preseason? Where is his former Ohio State linemate who has 39 AHL points last year? Each with just one point this season...
- Bardreau looked fine as a 4th line center call-up for our Isles, but he doesn't have a point this season for the farm team. Why not?
- How did Hutton have 6 points in 9 AHL games last season, just to have 0 in 6 games this season? He's got a canon of a shot. Is he not using it?
- And do we have to start worrying that Koivula may have just been a flash in the pan last season?

So, like, what in all of God's great greeness is going on down there?

Blueline depth:
Hickey has only played 3 games and other than one penalty, doesn't have any stats. We know he got clobbered to the head in his first game down there, but suited up for the next game. Nonetheless, I suspect he hasn't really recovered from that hit.

Vande Sompel is still out with an injury. Wilde naturally as well, should he ultimately be lined up for play with BPort whatsoever this season.

Last edited:

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
BPT really needs HoSang to report to get things rolling. 3 more games coming up this weekend. Would be a great time to get him back in the fold.

In all seriousness, on paper this should be a solid to good AHL team. To see them getting obliterated isn't acceptable.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
BPT really needs HoSang to report to get things rolling. 3 more games coming up this weekend. Would be a great time to get him back in the fold.

In all seriousness, on paper this should be a solid to good AHL team. To see them getting obliterated isn't acceptable.

Full disclosure: I was a big JHS fan but got off the bus late last year.

I appreciate your sarcasm regarding JHS but I hate to say there's a kernel of truth in there.

Unless they're about to pull the trigger on a minor deal sending him elsewhere, what exactly are they doing with this kid?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Full disclosure: I was a big JHS fan but got off the bus late last year.

I appreciate your sarcasm regarding JHS but I hate to say there's a kernel of truth in there.

Unless they're about to pull the trigger on a minor deal sending him elsewhere, what exactly are they doing with this kid?

Obliging him.

Believe it or not.

He and his agent asked for a trade directly after he was cut. HE told the Islanders he wouldn't report to Bridgeport until the team had explored all avenues to move him.

After a certain period of time seeking a trade, the amount of which the public has not been made privy to, he'd then report to the AHL.

Supposedly...

This is how Staple described the situation.

And Lamoriello answered reporters, telling them that they'd be exploring a trade and that Ho-Sang would be taking personal time off while they do so. As such, it's more than verified.

Now, as to whether Lou really is looking for a deal or is just letting Josh rot, is anybody's guess. I can't imagine there is any love - or respect - more for this kid on management's side of things.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Without looking too much into this 4-0 loss, several things are very disappointing.

I'm surprised by BPort's ineptitude to this point. They're dead last in their division and they've scored all of 11 goals in 6 games. Not even 2 goals per game!!!

Looking at that roster, with a good group of proven vets and several of our most promising prospects, that is anything but inspiring.

I find myself asking:
- Where the **** is the 56-goal Bellows of his draft year?
- Why aren't the more experienced Bernier, Fritz, Lorito, McDonald, St. Denis, and Bourque creating some offense in those more difficult times?
- Where is the 25-year old Mason Jobst who looked so good in the NHL preseason? Where is his former Ohio State linemate who has 39 AHL points last year? Each with just one point this season...
- Bardreau looked fine as a 4th line center call-up for our Isles, but he doesn't have a point this season for the farm team. Why not?
- How did Hutton have 6 points in 9 AHL games last season, just to have 0 in 6 games this season? He's got a canon of a shot. Is he not using it?
- And do we have to start worrying that Koivula may have just been a flash in the pan last season?

So, like, what in all of God's great greeness is going on down there?

Blueline depth:
Hickey has only played 3 games and other than one penalty, doesn't have any stats. We know he got clobbered to the head in his first game down there, but suited up for the next game. Nonetheless, I suspect he hasn't really recovered from that hit.

Vande Sompel is still out with an injury. Wilde naturally as well, should he ultimately be lined up for play with BPort whatsoever this season.

Bridgeport's lines are trash; their leading scoring is Lorito with four points and Providence's leading scorer is Bjork with eight points. I don't even think there are six top six forwards on that team right now. Just a bunch of AHL/ECHL tweeners and either over-the-hill grinders or inexperienced prospects.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Ho-Sang isn't changing that team...

Reactions: YearlyLottery

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You have those connections on every team, hockey is a fraternity and a it feels like a quarter of the league is related.

This may come as a surprise, but it's not just hockey.

"Life" is all about who you know.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Bridgeport's lines are trash; their leading scoring is Lorito with four points and Providence's leading scorer is Bjork with eight points. I don't even think there are six top six forwards on that team right now. Just a bunch of AHL/ECHL tweeners and either over-the-hill grinders or inexperienced prospects.

While it's still way too early for rash decisions, let's do it anyway.

From my vantage point, I'd say there are 3 perspectives on the current state of the Bridgeport Squad.

#1. Thompson is the problem and should be replaced.
#2. We need to given it time for the new players to meld into a cohesive unit.
#3. Maybe our talent pool isn't as good as many of us think? Some of the posters think that there are at least 2 or 3 NHL ready Dmen playing regularly at Bridgeport. Aside from Hutton as a bottom pair Dman. I'm not convinced. I also heard more than one poster saying Otto was s a viable #3C for this year.

For my money, I'd go with argument #1 but to be fair we have to give the team a little longer.
It would be too depressing to consider #3 is true.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002

On the broadcast last night they said Hickey has a lower-body injury.

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
It’s been more than a few days. Kinda weird to just make the kid sit out. Especially, since BT can use him and it would showcase him more potentially

Barry would not play Ho-Sang after his agent asking for a trade. He's in Lou's dog house and that means nothin' good... Lou can drag this out until......
Please fill in, the missing time frame. :DD

Reactions: SI90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad