Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2019-20 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Barry would not play Ho-Sang after his agent asking for a trade. He's in Lou's dog house and that means nothin' good... Lou can drag this out until......
Please fill in, the missing time frame. :DD

I kinda thought it was weird Wahlstrom was assigned number 26. Not sure if that was on purpose or to send a message but the optics are kinda petty.

Reactions: Rengi

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
I kinda thought it was weird Wahlstrom was assigned number 26. Not sure if that was on purpose or to send a message but the optics are kinda petty.
Well, guess what... Lou is sending this message to a prospects who thinks he deserves to be playing with the big boys, while he himself and his agent are his biggest enemy. Work hard, shut-up and you get your chance... that is Lou's old school approach and he is right there! He deserved nothing, yet!

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Thompson has done a decent job handling D like Mayfield, Pulock, Pelech , Toews however his resume with forwards leaves a lot to be desired. Is this because of the talent he has gotten or is it due to his ability to coach these guys into NHL talents? Probably a little bit of both.

Strome is now a 3rd liner, MDC is now a 3rd liner and likely would not be on any other playoff teams and Bellows is not lighting it up like you'd think he would be. Yes, they are all Garth Snow draft picks but all came into the system as guys with high ceilings, why are those ceilings not being reached? Why is Bridgeport, despite having a decent enough paper roster for the A , not competitive?

Not only do I think Wahlstrom is ready for the NHL, I want to keep him away from Thompson.

Holmstrom, Bellows & Koivula, that's good talent for an AHL team, plus you throw in Wilde, that team should be scoring. It's time for. Thompson to get that team really competing or pack his shit.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Thompson has done a decent job handling D like Mayfield, Pulock, Pelech , Toews however his resume with forwards leaves a lot to be desired. Is this because of the talent he has gotten or is it due to his ability to coach these guys into NHL talents? Probably a little bit of both.

Strome is now a 3rd liner, MDC is now a 3rd liner and likely would not be on any other playoff teams and Bellows is not lighting it up like you'd think he would be. Yes, they are all Garth Snow draft picks but all came into the system as guys with high ceilings, why are those ceilings not being reached? Why is Bridgeport, despite having a decent enough paper roster for the A , not competitive?

Not only do I think Wahlstrom is ready for the NHL, I want to keep him away from Thompson.

Holmstrom, Bellows & Koivula, that's good talent for an AHL team, plus you throw in Wilde, that team should be scoring. It's time for. Thompson to get that team really competing or pack his ****.

Just one thing here...

Wilde is still injured and hasn't played a game yet this season.

Reactions: Finster8

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
Some takeaways on Islanders insight article:

The Sound Tigers enter this weekend 2-for-25 on the power play through six games. Following Tuesday’s 4-0 loss, Bridgeport is ranked 26th in that department in the American Hockey League.

“I think it’s a combination of things,” said forward Matt Lorito when discussing the slow start on the power play. “I think we’re just scratching the surface of our potential. We have a lot more.”

“I like the execution of our power play,” said head coach Brent Thompson. “If you look at the last two games, they’re starting to feel each other out. The unit with Koivula was moving the puck really well. They’re starting to get that chemistry.”

“You can’t play one period in a hockey game and expect to win. I don’t think we competed hard enough on the walls. I think was on their toes and we weren’t. You have to play a 60-minute hockey game or you’re never going to win.”

Bridgeport is expected to play those games without forward Tanner Fritz and defenseman Thomas Hickey, both of whom are week-to-week with lower-body injuries according to Thompson.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
Reward for Skarek, and Soderstrom gets some playing time. OK. Good.

Curiouser and curiouser, the tending situation in BP is becoming.
Coreau is not looking like being a keeper for the long run, though team defensive effort was ridiculous at times in front of him...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Coreau is not looking like being a keeper for the long run, though team defensive effort was ridiculous at times in front of him...
Next stop for Corau should be Europe. He's not going to be able to resurrect himself as an NHL backup.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I find that the only players that stick out are Aho and Skilky (sp?) ...though I do not think skilky's skills will translate to the next level. Aho is way overripe. We need to do a trade to get him up.

I don't see any similarity with the system in the AHL vs NHL.....do you guys?

From what I can see..we do run the AHL vets a lot...I hear Lorito's name a lot and McDonald's too.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I find that the only players that stick out are Aho and Skilky (sp?) ...though I do not think skilky's skills will translate to the next level. Aho is way overripe. We need to do a trade to get him up.

I don't see any similarity with the system in the AHL vs NHL.....do you guys?

From what I can see..we do run the AHL vets a lot...I hear Lorito's name a lot and McDonald's too.

That's not good considering how bad Aho looked during the pre-season. I understand that's not always indicative of how a player will perform in the season, but for a guy trying to make the team and/or keeping his stock as the first call up, he should've had a better showing. He was small and was abused fairly regularly. Hutton has already surpassed him to me.

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
The AHL has also a piece on Simon Holmstrom. :nod:

Remark: Sebastian Aho is helping him to adjust, nice piece!

While his dad is the biggest mentor and motivator at home, Holmstrom has found many leaders and friends to lean on with the Sound Tigers as well. One player that is very familiar with Holmstrom’s international move is 23-year-old defenseman Sebastian Aho, who came over from Sweden prior to the 2017-18 campaign.

“He doesn’t need much advice from me,” Aho said. “On the ice, everybody can see how good of a player he is. He’s already got the raw talent and desire that it takes to play well over here. I’m excited to see him develop and take steps forward every day.”

Perhaps Aho can better assist off the ice, helping to ease the transition to living in North America. After all, Holmstrom is still closer to his high school graduation than being able to rent a car -– and moving across the Atlantic is a transition for a player of any age.

“But of course, I try to always be there for him and help out and explain things that he doesn’t really understand yet,” Aho added. “It’s easier when we both speak the same language.”

Last edited:

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
GAME DAY #7 - GAME PREVIEW: THUNDERBIRDS vs SOUND TIGERS

holmstrom-face-e4cc0df688.jpg

SPRINGFIELD THUNDERBIRDS at BRIDGEPORT SOUND TIGERS

WHEN:
Friday, 7 p.m.
WHERE: Webster Bank Arena, Bridgeport
LIVE RADIO: www.bit.ly/BSTRadio
WATCH AHLTV: www.theahl.com/AHLTV
* Broadcast begins at 6:45 p.m. ET

RECORDS: Springfield 3-4-0-0; Bridgeport 1-3-1-1
SEASON SERIES: Springfield leads 1-0.
LAST MEETING: Springfield won 5-1 at home Oct. 5.

ABOUT THE THUNDERBIRDS: Springfield has won two of three after a three-game losing streak. ... Parent Florida traded D Ian McCoshen to Chicago on Tuesday for C Aleksi Saarela, who’ll join Springfield. Saarela scored 25 and 30 goals for Charlotte the past two years and won the Calder Cup last year. ... D Ethan Prow leads the team at 1-5-6.

ABOUT THE SOUND TIGERS: Only once has Bridgeport had fewer points than four in the first six games of a season (1-4-1-0, 2013-14). ... G Christopher Gibson (lower body) is expected to miss the weekend. C Tanner Fritz (lower) and D Thomas Hickey (lower) are out. ... The team swapped rookie goalies with affiliate Worcester (ECHL), sending Linus Soderstrom down and calling up Jakub Skarek, who stopped 48 of 51 shots for the Railers in his first two North American wins.

HEAD TO HEAD
Previous Season
411.png
3-5-1-1
317.png
7-3-0-0
Current Season
411.png
1-0-0-0
317.png
0-1-0-0
Last 5 Seasons
411.png
15-14-3-1
317.png
18-14-0-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Previous Meetings This Season
1:5Oct 5, 2019Final
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TOP SCORERS
LAST 5 GAMES
MATCH UP
Springfield ThunderbirdsBridgeport Sound Tigers
Season Record3-4-0-01-3-0-1
Last 10 Games3-4-0-01-3-0-1
Streak1-0-0-00-2-0-1
Last Game4-3 W @ Lehigh Valley (2019-10-19)4-0 L vs Providence (2019-10-22)
Home Record1-2-0-00-1-0-0
Away Record2-2-0-01-2-0-1
Goals For1711
Goals Against1621
Power Plays5/33 (15.15%)2/25 (8%)
Power Plays (Home)2/17 (11.76%)1/11 (9.09%)
Power Plays (Away)3/16 (18.75%)1/14 (7.14%)
Penalty Killing6/33 (18.18%)5/31 (16.13%)
Penalty Killing (Home)4/12 (66.67%)2/12 (83.33%)
Penalty Killing (Away)2/21 (90.48%)3/19 (84.21%)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
NEWS & NOTES

THE STORY COMING IN

The Bridgeport Sound Tigers (1-3-1-0), American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Islanders, battle the Springfield Thunderbirds (3-4-0-0) and Hartford Wolf Pack (5-0-0-1) in their first "three-in-three" of the season this weekend. It all begins Friday with a 7 p.m. matchup against Springfield at Webster Bank Arena, continuing a busy stretch of four games in six days.

LAST TIME OUT

Bridgeport lost its third straight game with a 4-0 setback to the Providence Bruins at home on Tuesday. The Sound Tigers placed a season-high 30 shots on target, but couldn't solve goaltender Max Legace and fell to 1-3-1-1 on the young season. The offense has been especially frustrated lately, coming up empty in the last 105:46 of regulation/overtime play (dating back to the first period against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton last Saturday).

TIGERS VS. THUNDERBIRDS
Friday's game is the second of 12 meetings between the Sound Tigers and Thunderbirds this season, and the first of six matchups in Connecticut. Bridgeport dominated the series a year ago, going 7-3-0-0 against the T-Birds and a perfect 5-0-0-0 in those games at home. However, Springfield took the opening game this season, 5-1, on Oct. 5. Matt Lorito scored a power-play goal in the first period before the T-Birds responded with five straight to end the night.

HOME SWEET HOME
The Sound Tigers stay within the friendly confines of Webster Bank Arena on Friday and will play seven of their next nine games at home. Last season, Bridgeport was one of the strongest teams on home ice, going 26-7-3-2 and collecting 57 points - tied for the most in the AHL. The Sound Tigers' 128 goals at home were also fifth most in the league, however Bridgeport is still looking for its first home win this year.

STARTS WITH SHOTS
The Sound Tigers will certainly be focused on putting more shots on target tonight, having been outshot in each of their first six games. Bridgeport is 30th in the AHL in shots for (25.50/game), which is a big reason the team is also tied for 30th in goals scored (1.83/game) this season.

GOALIE SWAP
The New York Islanders reassigned goalies Jakub Skarek to Bridgeport (from ECHL Worcester) and Linus Soderstrom to the Railers (from Bridgeport) in corresponding moves on Thursday. Skarek, 19, is in his first North American season and could make his AHL debut this weekend. He was 2-0-0-0 with a 2.41 GAA and .941 save percentage in Worcester this year. Soderstrom has not yet played for either team.

QUICK HITS
Bridgeport has been outscored 22-11 in the first six games of the season... The Sound Tigers are 1-for-23 on the power play in their last five games... Otto Koivula returned to the lineup Tuesday after missing three games with an upper-body injury... David Quenneville made his season debut on Tuesday, his first AHL game since he was on an ATO at the end of 2017-18.

VIEW FROM SPRINGFIELD
The Thunderbirds have won two of their last three games, but lost three of four to begin the season and are currently tied for fifth in the Atlantic Division (six points). Last time out, Springfield defeated Lehigh Valley in a shootout, 4-3, at PPL Center on Saturday. Tommy Cross, Daniel Audette and Anthony Greco each scored in regulation, while Kevin Roy earned the winner in a lengthy, seven-round shootout. Between the pipes, Philippe Desrosiers made 38 saves in regulation and overtime to collect his first win with the T-Birds. Meanwhile, teammate Chris Driedger is currently third in the AHL in saves (153) and 15th in GAA (2.02).

LINE-UPS

SPRINGFIELD THUNDERBIRDS

TBA

BRIDGEPORT SOUND TIGERS

TBA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad