Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2019-20 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
Thompson has to go. This has to be his last season. I really don't see what he brings to the table.
He hasn't done much in developing talent and doesn't win games.
Perhaps our lack of goalie development in the Ahl over the years bothers me the most. Bringing Sorokin over here and having him play for Thompson would be a mistake.
Thank god, he will not get his hands on Sorokin. If Sorokin comes overseas he will not see Bridgeport, otherwise, he will be gone as fast as he was here, take Kirill Petrov as a reminder.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Thompson has to go. This has to be his last season. I really don't see what he brings to the table.
He hasn't done much in developing talent and doesn't win games.
Perhaps our lack of goalie development in the Ahl over the years bothers me the most. Bringing Sorokin over here and having him play for Thompson would be a mistake.

I am pretty sure Sorokin is not going to sign here to make $70,000 in the AHL...

Reactions: Rengi and BTrotts19

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
EHSYr6tXUAA5PaZ
CT Insider - Game recap from yesterday

Bellows had two shots on goal Saturday and picked up an assist on Nick Schilkey’s power-play goal, the Sound Tigers’ first with the extra man since opening night.

He’s working to get to loose pucks. He’s engaged a little more. He’s going to the net. He’s shooting, and he’s finding the areas to shoot,” Bridgeport coach Brent Thompson said. “Sometimes it takes guys a little bit longer to kind of get used to what they need to do to be a solid pro, and he’s playing a solid 200-foot game right now.”

Mason Jobst stepped into the lineup for Bardreau and got an assist on Bridgeport’s first goal, carrying the puck into the zone and setting up Ryan MacKinnon for a shot that Ryan Bourque tipped in. Thompson said it was the rookie Jobst’s best game of the four he has played.

Full article:
Bellows gets chances in Sound Tigers' shootout loss

Last edited:
Reactions: dood and xECK29x

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007

Islanders Insight article by Michael Zahn on the development progress of Simon Holmstrom.

Simon Holmstrom’s abilities were on full display Saturday evening. The 2019 first-round pick didn’t miss a beat in the Sound Tigers’ 3-2 shootout loss to fall to 1-2-1-1 on the season. The 18-year-old forward embraced going in the corners for pucks and certainly wasn’t timid about jostling for positioning against bigger, more mature players.
“I think it’s a lot more physical,” Holmstrom said about adapting to the North American style of play. “All the guys are a lot stronger and there’s a lot more structure out there.”
The Swedish-born forward was credited with one shot on goal in 65 minutes of play but impressed his teammates and coaches as well.

“I thought he was outstanding,” head coach Brent Thompson said while grinning. “His IQ is off the charts. He has a great stick. He looks strong on the puck. He has a lot of poise for an 18-year-old kid. Some of those things you can’t teach.”

Holmstrom—a lefty—cut down the right-wing wall in search of his first professional goal late in the second period. He earned possession of the puck after outmuscling 6-foot-4 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins defenseman Matt Abt in neutral ice. The play ended with Abt tripping up the shifty forward and putting the Sound Tigers on their third power play of the game.

“I think I’m more of a threat on the right wing and can protect the puck more easily,” Holmstrom said. “I just tried to get the puck to the net and get the goalie to move. He hugged the far post.”

Last edited:
Reactions: xECK29x and dood

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
If Sorokin is coming for sure, I'd like us to trade Gibson at the TDL for something..we can package him up too..I am sure a backup with solid numbers is for everyone wanting to go on a long run. We can call up Gibson until Sorokin coms over. I like what he brings to the table and I think Gibson has the talent to be a number 1 himself.

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
If Sorokin is coming for sure, I'd like us to trade Gibson at the TDL for something..we can package him up too..I am sure a backup with solid numbers is for everyone wanting to go on a long run. We can call up Gibson until Sorokin coms over. I like what he brings to the table and I think Gibson has the talent to be a number 1 himself.
You mean trading Greiss at the TDL, right?

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
burroughs-web-0882441670.jpg
THE BRIDGEPORT REPORT: WEEK 3

Sebastian’s Strong Start: Two-time AHL All-Star Sebastian Aho has three points (1g, 2a) in his first five games this season, including a team-leading two points on the power play. He's also third on the club in shots (12). Along with forward Otto Koivula, Aho is Bridgeport's top returning scorer after a 46-point performance (9g, 37a) in 2018-19. That led all Sound Tigers defensemen and his 37 assists were fifth-most among AHL blue-liners.

Quick Hits: Cole Bardreau became the second Sound Tigers forward to earn his first NHL recall this season, making his debut against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday night… The first was Oliver Wahlstrom… The Sound Tigers will certainly be focused on putting more shots on target this weekend, having been outshot in each of their first five games... Bridgeport is last in the AHL in shots for (24.60/game), which is a big reason the team is tied for 29th in goals scored (2.20/game) this season.

Team Leaders:
Goals: Matt Lorito (3)
Assists: Six players tied (2)
Plus/Minus: Ryan Bourque, Jeff Kubiak (+2)
Penalty Minutes: Nick Schilkey (19)
Power-Play Goals: Matt Lorito, Nick Schilkey (1)
Shots: Matt Lorito, Kieffer Bellows (14)
Wins: Christopher Gibson (1)

Bridgeport will look to bounce back this week with a very busy slate that includes four games in six days. It begins Tuesday when the Providence Bruins make the trip to Webster Bank Arena for the first time this season.

The week ahead:
Tuesday, Oct. 22 vs. Providence Bruins (7 p.m.):
The Sound Tigers continue a three-game homestand with their first of 12 matchups against the Providence Bruins this season. Bridgeport went 7-4-1-0 against the Bruins in 2018-19, and 10 of those meetings were decided by two goals or less. Get your tickets now!

Friday, Oct. 25 vs. Springfield Thunderbirds (7 p.m.): The Sound Tigers will host Springfield for the first time this season to open their first 3-in-3 weekend series. Bridgeport began its 2019-20 season in Springfield with a 5-1 setback to the Thunderbirds, in which Matt Lorito scored the Sound Tigers’ lone tally on the power play.

Saturday, Oct. 26 at Hartford Wolf Pack (7 p.m.): The early leader in the Atlantic Division, Hartford will host the Sound Tigers for the second time this season on Saturday night. The two teams first met at XL Center on Oct. 6 with Hartford coming away with a 4-3 victory in overtime.

Sunday, Oct. 27 vs. Hartford Wolf Pack (3 p.m.): Bridgeport wraps up its eventful weekend on Sunday afternoon with a matinee matchup against Hartford. It’s Youth Sports Day, and the Sound Tigers are recognizing youth teams from across the region by offering a free ticket to any young athlete, plus the opportunity to take a picture at center-ice following the game.

Full coverage of the article:
The Bridgeport Report: Week 3 | Bridgeport Sound Tigers

Reactions: SI90

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
yeah..you're right...got Gibson on the brain ya know. es...trade Greiss at the TDL if his numbers are roughly the same as last year.
Yes, it will be determined by TDL where the Isles are in the standings, considering going into the playoffs or not... maybe also one of Soderstrom & Skarek emerges until then.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Hey Rengi... being a real pain right now, lol.

Seeing Schilkey's name popping up a lot. Any chance he signs a contract with us? Seems really engaged and has a good work ethic, got a bit of skillz too.

I know.. I know... it's WAY too early, lol

Reactions: Rengi

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
Hey Rengi... being a real pain right now, lol.

Seeing Schilkey's name popping up a lot. Any chance he signs a contract with us? Seems really engaged and has a good work ethic, got a bit of skillz too.

I know.. I know... it's WAY too early, lol
Nick Schilkey is coming off a great season last year as a Calder Cup winner with the Charlotte Checkers. He plays with intensity and also has a knack for physical play like Cole Bardreau alongside with decent soft hands. I think Lou & Chris will have a long look at him, could see him get a contract, if injuries hit further on the big club.

Reactions: dood

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Nick Schilkey is coming off a great season last year as a Calder Cup winner with the Charlotte Checkers. He plays with intensity and also has a knack for physical play like Cole Bardreau alongside with decent soft hands. I think Lou & Chris will have a long look at him, could see him get a contract, if injuries hit further on the big club.

I could see him taking Easor’s contract spot for sure.

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
GAME DAY #6 - GAME PREVIEW: BRUINS vs SOUND TIGERS

12prv-50ac914536.jpg

Providence Bruins at Bridgeport Sound Tigers
WHEN:
Tuesday, 7 p.m.
WHERE: Webster Bank Arena, Bridgeport
LIVE RADIO: www.bit.ly/BSTRadio
WATCH AHLTV: www.theahl.com/AHLTV
* Broadcast begins at 6:45 p.m. ET

RECORDS: Providence 4-2-0-1; Bridgeport 1-2-1-1
SEASON SERIES: First meeting of 12. Bridgeport won seven of 12 last season, though the teams both earned 15 points.

LAST MEETING: Bridgeport won 4-3 at home April 6.

ABOUT THE BRUINS: F Anders Bjork leads the Bruins at 3-5-8, three points better than four teammates. Bjork has played 50 games for the parent Boston Bruins over the past two seasons. ... Providence has allowed nine power-play goals on 30 chances. ... With G Dan Vladar injured, Kyle Keyser is up from Atlanta (ECHL).

ABOUT THE SOUND TIGERS: In the AHL shootout era (16 seasons now), this is the first time Bridgeport (15-9 beyond regulation last year, 44-28 the past four seasons) has two losses beyond regulation in the first five games. ... LW Matt Lorito still leads the team at 3-1-4. ... RW Oliver Wahlstrom and C Cole Bardreau remained up with the New York Islanders on Monday.

HEAD TO HEAD
Previous Season
309.png
5-2-4-1
317.png
7-4-1-0
Current Season
309.png
0-0-0-0
317.png
0-0-0-0
Last 5 Seasons
309.png
21-16-6-3
317.png
25-18-2-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TOP SCORERS
LAST 5 GAMES
MATCH UP
Providence BruinsBridgeport Sound Tigers
Season Record4-2-0-01-2-0-1
Last 10 Games4-2-0-01-2-0-1
Streak1-0-0-00-1-0-1
Last Game7-4 W @ Belleville (2019-10-19)3-2 L vs Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (2019-10-19)
Home Record1-1-0-00-0-0-0
Away Record3-1-0-01-2-0-1
Goals For2311
Goals Against1917
Power Plays4/28 (14.29%)2/19 (10.53%)
Power Plays (Home)2/12 (16.67%)1/5 (20%)
Power Plays (Away)2/16 (12.5%)1/14 (7.14%)
Penalty Killing9/30 (30%)4/25 (16%)
Penalty Killing (Home)3/6 (50%)1/6 (83.33%)
Penalty Killing (Away)6/24 (75%)3/19 (84.21%)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
NEWS & NOTES

THE STORY COMING IN

The Bridgeport Sound Tigers (1-2-1-1), American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Islanders, continue a three-game homestand this evening with their first of 12 matchups against the Providence Bruins (4-2-0-1). The 7 p.m. contest at Webster Bank Arena is the team's second home game of the season, following a 3-2 shootout loss to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Saturday night. Nick Schilkey (PPG) and Ryan Bourque each scored in Bridgeport's home opener, but the Penguins prevailed in a three-round shootout, ended by Stamford native Ryan Haggarty. The Sound Tigers look to get back to .500 tonight as they continue a stretch of nine straight games against Atlantic Division opponents to start the year.

TIGERS VS. BRUINS
Tonight's game is the first of 12 meetings between the Sound Tigers and P-Bruins this season, and the first of six matchups at Webster Bank Arena. Bridgeport went 7-4-1-0 against Providence last year and 5-0-1-0 in those games at home. Ten of the 12 meetings last season were decided by two goals or less.

HOME SWEET HOME
The Sound Tigers stay within the friendly confines of Webster Bank Arena this evening and will play eight of their next 10 games at home. Last season, Bridgeport was one of the strongest teams on home ice, going 26-7-3-2 and collecting 57 points - tied for the most in the AHL. The Sound Tigers' 128 goals at home were also fifth most in the league.

STARTS WITH SHOTS
The Sound Tigers will certainly be focused on putting more shots on target tonight, having been outshot in each of their first five games. Bridgeport is last in the AHL in shots for (24.60/game), which is a big reason the team is tied for 29th in goals scored (2.20/game) this season.

SEBASTIAN'S STRONG START
Two-time AHL All-Star Sebastian Aho has three points (1g, 2a) in his first five games this seaon, including a team-leading two points on the power play. He's also third on the club in shots (12). Along with forward Otto Koivula, Aho is Bridgeport's top returning scorer after a 46-point performance (9g, 37a) in 2018-19. That led all Sound Tigers defensemen and his 37 assists were fifth-most among AHL blue-liners.

GETTING THAT FIRST CALL
The Sound Tigers will continue to play without forwards Oliver Wahlstrom and Cole Bardreau tonight due to transactions with the New York Islanders. Wahlstrom, the 11th overall pick in 2018, earned his first NHL recall on Monday, Oct. 14 and made his debut that afternoon in New York's thrilling win against the reigning Stanley Cup champion St. Louis Blues. Meanwhile, Bardreau received his first NHL call-up on Saturday and made his debut in the Isles' overtime win against the Columbus Blue Jackets that night. He arrived at the game 90 minutes before puck drop after participating in morning skate with the Sound Tigers.

QUICK HITS
Colin McDonald played his 700th AHL game on Friday, Oct. 11 in Charlotte... He is trying to crack into the top 50 in all-time AHL games played, currently sitting 49 appearances behind Noel Price and Jeff Hoggan... Chris Gibson is third on the team's all-time wins list (67), two behind Kevin Poulin (2010-15)... Steve Bernier is tied for fifth on the club's all-time goals list (61), 10 behind Jeff Tambellini (2005-09)...Tanner Fritz is 10th on the all-time points list (129), one behind Justin Mapletoft (2001-05)... Matt Lorito scored a goal in each of the Sound Tigers' first three games this season and had the only shootout tally on Saturday.

VIEW FROM PROVIDENCE
The Bruins have nine points in their first seven games and are currently tied with Hershey for second place in the Atlantic Division. On Saturday, Providence crushed Belleville, 7-4, during a three-game road trip north of the border. Every P-Bruins' forward recorded at least one point and 16 of the 18 skaters also had a point. The Bruins are led by Anders Bjork with eight points (3g, 5a) in seven games, which is also tied for fourth in the AHL overall. Jack Studnicka is tied for fifth among all AHL rookies with four points (1g, 3a).

LINE-UPS

PROVIDENCE BRUINS

Forwards:

Hughes-Studnicka-Carey (C)
Cehlarik-Shen-Lantosi
Lauko-Woods (A)-Senyshyn
Fitzgerald-Frederic-Steen

Defense:
Vaakanainen-Didier (A)
Sherman-Petrovic
Lauzon-Zboril (Zech-apparent scratch)

Goalie: Lagace Keyser

BRIDGEPORT SOUND TIGERS

Forwards:
Bellows-St. Denis-Schilkey
Lorito-Koivula-Holmstrom
Stevens-Kubiak-Bernier
R.Bourque-Jobst-McDonald (A) (Thomson-apparent scratch)

Defense:
Wotherspoon-Burroughs (C)
Aho-Hutton
Helgeson (A)-Quenneville

Goalies:
Coreau
Soderstrom

Last edited:

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007

Five games are early to get too obsessed. But a couple of things stand out even from a cursory look at Bridgeport’s first games:

1) The Sound Tigers have been outshot on the whole. The exception is their last game, so maybe it’s a trend and not just a blip in a small sample, but total shots are 132-98 for the opponents (Hartford scored on the only shot of overtime). Yeah, Corsis, Fenwicks, quality, out-power-played 19-14, don’t confuse effort with achievement (with apologies to the Barry Trotz version everyone keeps quoting, this is the one my dad always told me), etc. But still.

B) Their goals have come mostly on the rush. Of nine goals in four games, seven have come directly off or on the rebound of transition (including the power-play goal), and you could argue for an eighth, Sebastian Aho’s pulling a rebound out into the right circle last Friday. The exception is Ryan Bourque’s tying goal in Hartford, on which the fourth line gained the zone, started to cycle, lost it, got it back, lost it again, got it back and scored.

“Offensively, no,” they’re not, he said, “We need to learn to protect the puck, control zone time, control the puck, win the walls, win the hard areas. There’s a lot of details that go into that. We’re just not doing it consistently enough through the course of the first four games. Now, this last week of practice felt like it was the best week we’ve had. Hopefully, that’ll translate into the next group of games.”

Reactions: dood

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
Line-Ups are edited... take away: very interesting 2nd line to watch today!

Lorito - Koivula - Holmström

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
Latest insights:

Tanner Fritz has rejoined the team but hasn’t skated in a few days so won’t play tonight. But Otto Koivula gets back in. David Quenneville plays his first AHL game since his ATO.
Linus Soderstrom backs up, his first time dressed. Not sure if that’s planned or not.

Bridgeport scratches (presumed healthy unless noted): Gibson, Hickey (lower), MacKinnon, Wilde (ankle), Brown (lower), Durandeau, Fritz (personal), Ho-Sang, Turcotte (upper), apparently Thomson

Last edited:

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Good to see Soderstrom in there. I'm still high on him.

What's the top line tonight?

And... aren't we considered young for an AHL team? Sure seems so, but I'm not certain.

Wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while to get them going.

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
Good to see Soderstrom in there. I'm still high on him.

What's the top line tonight?

And... aren't we considered young for an AHL team? Sure seems so, but I'm not certain.

Wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while to get them going.
L1: Bellows-St. Denis-Schilkey

We sure have a complete mixed up team with youngsters and veterans, which still is finding their way to bond and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad