Speculation: Brian Burke Believes Matthews Will Leave Toronto In 5 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I was more saying his hockey opinion is informed, as in he knows how the NHL works, front office, etc. I agree though, as a talking head it's very transparent what he's trying to do.

On a side note, I don't get why people are worried about what might happen in 5 years. :laugh:

Agree completely. Guy knows his stuff for the most part.

Just super annoying that he doesn't make a valid argument and people agree with him. Like it's not even hard to see through the bullcrap.

In 5 years there is so much that can change (I totally agree on that point too).

Reactions: Jmo89

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Why are we worrying? It's out of our control. Is it possible? Yes, John Tavares did it to the New York Islanders. But it's so far from now, Arizona may not even have a team in 5 years.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If the Leafs win the Cup within the next 5 years of this Matthews contract then the Risk of losing him thereafter was worth the Reward of a Cup Win.

In order to contend for a Cup, one of the young goalies will have to be really good and both of the young D will have to exceed expectations, which means they’ll all need to be paid......round and round we go....

Last edited:

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
In this instance, we know that he doesn't know his belief to be anything except a modest prediction based on incongruent factors. No sense getting wound up about strong feelings absent evidence.

I'd be more interested in why he buys ties.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
If Matthews would have added more UFA years to the deal his contract would have exceeded McDavid's deal in AAV.

Now Matthews has set himself up in 5 years to have a $15 mil or more AAV whether he stays or not. If Toronto isn't willing to give him that then he and Burke knows some other team gladly will. So Toronto is in a match other UFA offers or have him leave in 5 years.

Taking less years and hitting UFA sooner is not taking one for the team, its actually positioning himself for the greatest potential earnings throughout his career.

Even if he had taken the exact McDavid deal, he would be locked in for 3 more extra years at $12.5 mil, and now the sky is the limit with potentially making +$3 mil a season more than Conner, starting in 5 years at the ripe old age of 26.

I find it amazing that Matthew's was asking for 13.5+ on an 8 year deal.

Does he honestly think he's worth more/ is better then McDavid?

I know it's bad to say but I kind of hope some of these RFA's get injured, even Matthew's as well. It would be good to see some of these young guys miss out on money for their next contract because they werent healthy. Maybe then players will start signing 8 years again.

We gave him the most front loaded contract possible (that's a benifit for the player)(about 90% of his contract is in signing bonus') and yet he still couldn't give us anything back? Pretty sick of him tbh

Edit: the funny thing is if dubas had of waited even 2-3 months to sign auston, his value wouldve been lower as his production and play drastically fell off towards the end of the season. We need someone else to negotiate contracts as dubas has shown to be very poor.

Last edited:

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Burkie's tax-related logic was self-contradicting in that segment. I think he was avoiding saying it, but I think his real concerns are similar to everyone's concerns - the shorter term contract and the (likely) desire to play at home in Arizona.

Legitimate concerns if you're a Leaf fan, I think, but ultimately Matthews' choice.

Still, something to worry about in 4 years, not now. For now, Auston is a Maple Leaf and a damn good one at that.

I will say that if Matthews' doesn't have an extension by trade deadline of the final year of his contract, I hope Leafs' management attempts a trade rather than waiting like the Islanders did in the Tavares scenario. I've seen the bitterness it produces towards a player exercising his free agency rights, and we've got enough bitterness in Leaf Nation as it is.

Unfortunately he has a full NMC in his final year...that was the thing that pissed me off about the deal more than the term. They could have at least traded him if he was not willing to sign an extension. The way it sits now is crap. He can't sign an extension until July 1st of the final year which is also the date of his NMC kicking in. So you would have to trade him before then if you think he is leaving.

If he leaves I don't think it will be for money. The Leafs will basically just hand over a blank check at that point (unless he continues to be injured and miss 1/4 of the seasons) and if he still leaves with a blank check in front of him...nothing you can do..he wants to go home.

If I was Dubas I would have gone 8 and $13.5 if I had to...this is just stupid what he did and now it affects the Marner deal as well. I guess he might have been worried about paying Marner $13M if he signed AM to that much...who knows. It just sucks.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
leafs paid Matty

I know it's bad to say but I kind of hope some of these RFA's get injured, even Matthew's as well. It would be good to see some of these young guys miss out on money for their next contract because they werent healthy. Maybe then players will start signing 8 years again.

We gave him the most front loaded contract possible (that's a benifit for the player)(about 90% of his contract is in signing bonus') and yet he still couldn't give us anything back? Pretty sick of him tbh

Edit: the funny thing is if dubas had of waited even 2-3 months to sign auston, his value wouldve been lower as his production and play drastically fell off towards the end of the season. We need someone else to negotiate contracts as dubas has shown to be very poor.
Even sadder is what Leafs paid Matty was a pimple on their *ss. Bottom line is we are all paying them way too much money for a very long period of time. The Leafs can front load everyone and it is a rounding error. Money corrupts and Leafs are laughing to bank every day. Imagine every year $400M US rolls in the summer between leafs and arena sponsors and you only have to declare $232M to the players in HRR. Bank baby bank.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

This may be the greediest, most selfish post I’ve read. And there have been some dillies by greedy Leafs’ fans.

Reactions: bax

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews has already had smoke events. Meeting with Babs, Commodore tweet and I think a couple other little remarks along the way. Not what you want to hear from the could be Captain. If he is not Captain, does he leave? He may have an ego, wait, he does. How does that play? Dubas didn't do us any favors, guy better go all out to win within 3y with Matthews! After that all bets are off.

Add in his effort-level on-ice after he signed his extension to your "smoke events", that's the one that concerns me the most.

One can speculate the origin of these "smoke events" but they're not good signs no matter where they came from.

Airing out player-coach drama to the public in any way shape or form is an absolute no-no.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Add in his effort-level on-ice after he signed his extension to your "smoke events", that's the one that concerns me the most.

One can speculate the origin of these "smoke events" but they're not good signs no matter where they came from.

Airing out player-coach drama to the public in any way shape or form is an absolute no-no.
They determined that the metal rod in his leg was the cause of his back issues. That tells me 2 things. He was never at 100%, or close to that because of his back. And it tells me he should be skating better than ever.

Looking for a big year to match the contract. Plus playing with 3rd liners or worse does tend to affect his output.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The meeting and Commodore post are public record. I thought I heard a couple other instances of conduct that may be frowned upon. Everyone has an ego, at his level, he wants to be the big cheese obviously proof not needed. I mean, Captains even make more money as well.

There you have it.

“I think everybody would love to be out there as much as possible,” Matthews said on Thursday. “You have to share that ice time around, but I’m not deploying myself out there. I think that is something more that the coaches decide on and manage more than the players.

https://torontosun.com/sports/hocke...to-his-vision-and-norris-crossed-riellys-mind

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They determined that the metal rod in his leg was the cause of his back issues. That tells me 2 things. He was never at 100%, or close to that because of his back. And it tells me he should be skating better than ever.

Looking for a big year to match the contract. Plus playing with 3rd liners or worse does tend to affect his output.
His effort level in the corners hasn't been the same since his rookie year and is somewhat reflected in his possession stats. He actually started off very strong early in his NHL in possession metric, and seemed much more involved trying to win pucks off the boards and drive center ice. Considering he's had shoulder and back issues, it wouldn't surprise me if that has impacted his willingness to do that, and wants to be more of a sniper when guys can get him the puck. He's de-emphasized that aspect of his game over the last two years. I would hope if this did remove any constant back-issues that this solves the issue. Because the ability to constantly win battles on the boards has been a significant reason guys like Bergeron and Barkov are consistently strong possession players.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
His effort level in the corners hasn't been the same since his rookie year and is somewhat reflected in his possession stats. He actually started off very strong early in his NHL in possession metric, and seemed much more involved trying to win pucks off the boards and drive center ice. Considering he's had shoulder and back issues, it wouldn't surprise me if that has impacted his willingness to do that, and wants to be more of a sniper when guys can get him the puck. He's de-emphasized that aspect of his game over the last two years. I would hope if this did remove any constant back-issues that this solves the issue. Because the ability to constantly win battles on the boards has been a significant reason guys like Bergeron and Barkov are consistently strong possession players.

Both Bergeron and Crosby have been through the injury carousal more than enough times and it's never stopped them from doing the dirty work.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Let's hope so. Nobody roots harder for Matthews than me.

Reactions: kb

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Both Bergeron and Crosby have been through the injury carousal more than enough times and it's never stopped them from doing the dirty work.
Both were concussion based primarily, which is much different than a nagging back injury when it comes to the type of battles along the boards. Concussions tend to happen much more in open ice.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Both were concussion based primarily, which is much different than a nagging back injury when it comes to the type of battles along the boards. Concussions tend to happen much more in open ice.
I believe Bergeron has indeed had a seperated shoulder and multiple rib injuries which no doubt factor into board battles.

I do understand where you're coming from, I'm just not big on applying that excuse to Matthews when multiple others around the league have suffered similar injuries.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I have posted my number multiple times.

Your weird obsession with second accounts makes me think Admins should be looking into your account...

Nobody is above having their performance evaluated. However, it should be for a valid reason and not just blind hate because you're choosing to be misinformed.
then it should be easy to post your num again since i don't follow your every post

don't need to keep making accounts since i've never been perma banned like you obviously have

so again you're saying the GM is above being evaluated unless it's for some some mysterious reason you didn't give , lol

Burke traded our 1st's and they turned into the 2nd and 9th overall picks and yet you still thought he was above being held accountable and i still remember how you wept like a baby when he was fired . lol .

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
so again you're saying the GM is above being evaluated unless it's for some some mysterious reason you didn't give
There's no reason to dislike what Dubas has done. That doesn't mean he's above being evaluated.

Burke traded our 1st's and they turned into the 2nd and 9th overall picks and yet you still thought he was above being held accountable and i still remember how you wept like a baby when he was fired . lol .
I've said nothing about Burke or his trades or his firing. You seem to like clumping everybody into one group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino