Speculation: Brian Burke Believes Matthews Will Leave Toronto In 5 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I have more faith in auston holding dubas/ who ever is in charge over the barrel after the 5 years then I am in him leaving. He seems to like his money

How long did Matthews hold out demanding more money than the team felt he was worth? Was it months? Years?

Reactions: bax

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
How long did Matthews hold out demanding more money than the team felt he was worth? Was it months? Years?

He didnt have to hold out. Dubas bent like a sapling and gave him one of, if not, the best contracts in the league. What was there for him to hold out for?

93% of his contract is signing bonuses, nmc in the final year and an absurdly high aav for the term.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He didnt have to hold out. Dubas bent like a sapling and gave him one of, if not, the best contracts in the league. What was there for him to hold out for?

93% of his contract is signing bonuses, nmc in the final year and an absurdly high aav for the term.
Do you honestly think for one second that Matthews has the worst contract in the league from a team perspective?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Do you honestly think for one second that Matthews has the worst contract in the league from a team perspective?
he didn't say it was worst contract , he said he got the best contract in the league and he did from a players perspective

there were no negotiations , Dubas just dropped his pants and bent over and the entire league was shocked when the numbers came out

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
From the same mind that thought challenging Kevin Lowe to a fist fight in a barn was an appropriate response to an offer sheet being signed/offered.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he didn't say it was worst contract , he said he got the best contract in the league and he did from a players perspective

there were no negotiations , Dubas just dropped his pants and bent over and the entire league was shocked when the numbers came out
I would think that if it is the best contract from a player's standpoint then it would follow that it's the worst from a team standpoint. If you honestly believe that the player is compensated for what they bring in their favour to the highest degree in the league, it sort of has to hurt the team the most.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Disagree. Matthews contract was more of a function of the team and player finding immediate success after he was drafted first overall in a franchise player meets franchise kind of fairy tale. The escalator here is the Jack Eichel contract, which inflated those dollar amounts to an eight figure salary despite largely being an abject failure.

Translation: we are going to pay Matthews a lot of money because he's really good. And so are we.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Disagree. Matthews contract was more of a function of the team and player finding immediate success after he was drafted first overall in a franchise player meets franchise kind of fairy tale. The escalator here is the Jack Eichel contract, which inflated those dollar amounts to an eight figure salary despite largely being an abject failure.

Translation: we are going to pay Matthews a lot of money because he's really good. And so are we.
Eichel an abject failure ? lol the lengths people go to defend an incompetent employee like Dubas is hilarious

and i have no problem paying Mathews a lot money , i do however have a problem with an incompetent employee like Dubas blowing the bar sky high

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I would think that if it is the best contract from a player's standpoint then it would follow that it's the worst from a team standpoint. If you honestly believe that the player is compensated for what they bring in their favour to the highest degree in the league, it sort of has to hurt the team the most.
you can try to spin it any way you like but the entire league was shocked at how hard Dubas got bent over

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Eichel an abject failure ? lol the lengths people go to defend an incompetent employee like Dubas is hilarious

and i have no problem paying Mathews a lot money , i do however have a problem with an incompetent employee like Dubas blowing the bar sky high

When Eichel got $10 million a season he was fresh off a 57 point in 61 game injury filled season, and by the end of that year the Sabres were busy drafting Rasmus Dahlin first overall, while Eichel was busy with another, you guessed it, injury filled season of 64 points in 67 games.

Last time I checked, you can't do worse than dead last.

So yeah. Abject failure.

Know your history.

Reactions: kb

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

the amount of people who were shocked that Dubas did what he did were the same amount of people that Eichel got that much money for that many years for someone who hadn't been healthy and his team didn't even come close to the playoffs.

if it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
you can try to spin it any way you like but the entire league was shocked at how hard Dubas got bent over

You would only be shocked by that Matthews AAV if you lived in a Leaf centric bubble with zero understanding of what kind of contracts are being signed elsewhere. Yes, Matthews and Tavares are now making north of $11 million, but Panarin, Karlsson and Doughty were also signed to contracts of those amounts in the same calendar year, and it's only going to continue.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You would only be shocked by that Matthews AAV if you lived in a Leaf centric bubble with zero understanding of what kind of contracts are being signed elsewhere. Yes, Matthews and Tavares are now making north of $11 million, but Panarin, Karlsson and Doughty were also signed to contracts of those amounts in the same calendar year, and it's only going to continue.
people weren't shocked at Mathews AAV , they were shocked Dubas was so incompetent that he gave him that AAV for only five years

and every agent loves the Dube since he was the one who keeps setting the bar higher with the Tavares/Nylander/Mathews deals and that's why it keeps getting reported that the agents for the rest of the high profile rfa's are waiting for Ferris to f*** Dubas to use Marner's deal as a comparable

but hey i don't really care how poorly Dubas runs the team since like you i'm just a fan of the GM and not the team

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
the amount of people who were shocked that Dubas did what he did were the same amount of people that Eichel got that much money for that many years for someone who hadn't been healthy and his team didn't even come close to the playoffs.

if it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.
i didn't see our fans spin themselves stupid defending Eichel's deal like they are Mathews and in fact were saying he was overpaid , yet Mathews got the most player friendly deal in the league and people are praising the Dube for giving it to him , lol

funny how objective fans can be when discussing another team as opposed to there own

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
people weren't shocked at Mathews AAV , they were shocked Dubas was so incompetent that he gave him that AAV for only five years

and every agent loves the Dube since he was the one who keeps setting the bar higher and that's why it keeps getting reported that the agents for the rest of the high profile rfa's are waiting for Ferris to **** Dubas to use Marner's deal as a comparable

but hey i don't really care how poorly Dubas runs the team since like you i'm just a fan of the GM and not the team

Five years is a long term contract in any sport that isn't as conservative as the NHL. And by the time Matthews is up for UFA status, the Leafs will only need to pay Matthews the incremental raise from $11.634 million to whatever he'll be worth at that time. Whereas another team is going to have to somehow clear $12-15 million whatever it is to get him while maintaining contender status.

If the Leafs stay their course and build a proper winner, they're not going to lose their man.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
i didn't see our fans spin themselves stupid defending Eichel's deal like they are Mathews and if fact were saying he was overpaid , yet Mathews got the most player friendly deal in the league and people are praising the Dube for giving it to him , lol

funny how objective fans can be when discussing another team as opposed to there own

The Eichel deal created the RFA reality we are in now.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
i didn't see our fans spin themselves stupid defending Eichel's deal like they are Mathews and if fact were saying he was overpaid , yet Mathews got the most player friendly deal in the league and people are praising the Dube for giving it to him , lol

I don’t think I’ve seen or heard anybody praise the deal.
I’ve seen people say they feel Matthews is paid close to his worth and it is good that he wasn’t RFA going into the summer but that’s about it.
Everybody probably groaned when the deal was announced, it was obvious there was zero discount for the leafs, but many were just happy it was done one way or another.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Five years is a long term contract in any sport that isn't as conservative as the NHL. And by the time Matthews is up for UFA status, the Leafs will only need to pay Matthews the incremental raise from $11.634 million to whatever he'll be worth at that time. Whereas another team is going to have to somehow clear $12-15 million whatever it is to get him while maintaining contender status.

If the Leafs stay their course and build a proper winner, they're not going to lose their man.
or a competent GM would have signed him for 8yrs like McD/Eichel/Drais were and not have worry he may bolt like Tavares did as well as getting a cap hit that will just keep getting cheaper as a % of the cap the longer it is

but hey as i said , who really give a damn what's best for the team since we're only are fans of the GM , am i right ?

Reactions: Stamkos4life

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)

Lol

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The Eichel deal created the RFA reality we are in now.
how did what Eichel signed for over 8yrs lead to AM singing for a higher cap hit for only 5 ?

i'm with you in trying to shift the blame away from Dumbass (since he's really the only reason i follow hockey) , i'm just not really sure how i can come up with an excuse that won't make me look like a complete f***ing delusional idiot

Reactions: dsred

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

incompetent employee lol, you are something man.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
how did what Eichel signed for over 8yrs lead to AM singing for a higher cap hit for only 5 ?

i'm with you in trying to shift the blame away from Dumbass (since he's really the only reason i follow hockey) , i'm just not really sure how i can come up with an excuse that won't make me look like a complete ****ing delusional idiot

Because Matthews has been orders of magnitude better than Eichel as a franchise cornerstone and that is usually expressed in more money, and in this case a shorter term as well so Matthews can make even more money than Eichel across the full 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->