Speculation: Brian Burke Believes Matthews Will Leave Toronto In 5 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hahahah

Here’s what you said.

I did read it again. Everyone has.

Apparently Aho makes 8% less aav to counterbalance the 8% lower taxes in Carolina.

So there was NO financial advantage for playing in Carolina. They just lowered his aav.

So, if that’s the case, why do players want to go to cities with lower taxes?

You ever addressing this?

It has
Hahahah

Here’s what you said.

I did read it again. Everyone has.

Apparently Aho makes 8% less aav to counterbalance the 8% lower taxes in Carolina.

So there was NO financial advantage for playing in Carolina. They just lowered his aav.

So, if that’s the case, why do players want to go to cities with lower taxes?

You ever addressing this?

It has clearly been addressed. It’s simple. The leafs would have to pay the exact same player much more money to provide the same take home.....

Honestly. I don’t want to belittle someone who is having a hard time understanding.

But gimmick aside. Do you really not see this? If you don’t get it I don’t want to make fun of someone for not understanding

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
It has

It has clearly been addressed. It’s simple. The leafs would have to pay the exact same player much more money to provide the same take home.....

Honestly. I don’t want to belittle someone who is having a hard time understanding.

But gimmick aside. Do you really not see this? If you don’t get it I don’t want to make fun of someone for not understanding
So why do players want to go to cities with lower taxes? According to you, the tax differences are 100% offset by the aav.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
No, Dubas is going to pay Marner exactly what he deserves and has earned, just as he has in his other contracts.

And you will whine and complain because you intentionally choose to be blind to the reality of how good they are.
so what has Marner earned and deserved in your opinion ? i'm guessing you don't have a number and will just spew mindless crap t defend it regardless of how big the over payment

and come on dude tell me what your previous account(s) were , i knew all of Burke's boi's and i'm curios to see which one's still fail to understand that the GM in just an employee and not above having there performance evaluated

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So why do players want to go to cities with lower taxes? According to you, the tax differences are 100% offset by the aav.

Ugh. Honestly if it’s a gimmick it’s not working. If you clearly don’t understand then read up on it. It is all explained

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Ugh. Honestly if it’s a gimmick it’s not working. If you clearly don’t understand then read up on it. It is all explained
HAHah.

So let me get this straight...

Players in low tax cities are paid lower aav’s to compensate. Like... to the exact percentage (like you’re Aho 8% example).

Yet players still want to go to low tax cities? Why?

It doesn’t make any sense.

You refuse to address it.

I’m having a blast. This really is a lot of fun.

Reactions: hotpaws

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Tavares is a 2x Hart finalist who signed a 7 year deal with Toronto for 11 million per season

I don't understand why Matthews would insist on being paid more than JT, and just as importantly, why the Leafs would agree to it

If Matthews wanted to be here long term, I think he would've been more willing to buy into to the team concept and give the Leafs a team-friendlier deal

Being offered 10 million per year over 8 years should've been a dream come true for Matthews and his family, instead he opted for a shorter deal while at the same time seemingly taking up as much of his team's cap space as he could

From a fan's perspective, I'm not happy with what the player or the team did in this instance

Last edited:

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
we need something to talk about other than Marner, Babcock sucks and Liljrgren should have made the Leafs 2 years ago :)

I'll make a few changes and add a few things:

*Marner's a dick
Ceci is going to suck
Bring Gards back! No don't!
No D next year
Team has, no balls!
Matthews hates Babcock so he no longer tries
Feddy's gone in two
Rielly needs a raise in two
Everyone's overpaid
Our D prospects are overrated
Prospect cupboard is dry
Wasting draft picks
1967 and 14 years since last series win
Winter is coming

This is semi-satire

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'll make a few changes and add a few things:

*Marner's a dick
Ceci is going to suck
Bring Gards back! No don't!
No D next year
Team has, no balls!
Matthews hates Babcock so he no longer tries
Feddy's gone in two
Rielly needs a raise in two
Everyone's overpaid
Our D prospects are overrated
Prospect cupboard is dry
Wasting draft picks
1967 and 14 years since last series win
Winter is coming

This is satire
May be satire, however there is a pretty good chance these will be topics this year.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You guys need to calm down with the Chicken Little nonsense Brian Burke is peddling. Income tax is simply not the governing force in NHL free agency some of you think it is because sought after free agents literally sign everywhere for all sorts of reasons.

The only time where we really lost out to a tax free state was when we were trying to steal Steven Stamkos away from the Tampa Bay Lightninig. We were the 30th place team in the NHL, so it was a long shot for a number of reasons once you get beyond Stamkos' place of birth.

The Florida Panthers, Dallas Stars and Vegas Golden Knights are your other tax free state representatives. They're not exactly the teams leading the pack every July 1.

A lot of players like signing with Californian teams. They have a state tax.

A lot of players like signing with the New York Rangers. Some guys like the East Coast big city lifestyle and are willing to pay the taxes to do so. Sometimes a guy like Kevin Shattenkirk will even give a hometown discount to go there.

A lot of players like signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs. I'm sorry if this is upsetting. But it's true. They pay the taxes to be here.

A lot of players like re-signing with their successful, cup contending and cup winning teams. Because why mess with a good thing? Even if you have to pay taxes.

A lot of players give the Boston Bruins hometown discounts. They want to be in Boston and are amenable to their cap structure, and pay taxes to Massachusetts.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Tavares is a 2x Hart finalist who signed a 7 year deal with Toronto for 11 million per season

I don't understand why Matthews would insist on being paid more than JT, and just as importantly, why the Leafs would agree to it

If Matthews wanted to be here long term, I think he would've been more willing to buy into to the team concept and give the Leafs a team-friendlier deal

Being offered 10 million per year over 8 years should've been a dream come true for Matthews and his family, instead he opted for a shorter deal while at the same time seemingly taking up as much of his team's cap space as he could

From a fan's perspective, I'm not happy with what the player or the team did in this instance

I think this was part of an agent driven strategy to force the money paid for the second deal. A collusion to leverage more money for their young star clients. I think locking up the potentially generational McDavid long term was not.part of this, but giving in to Draisaitls demand may have created leverage outside Pasta and Ehlers reasonable deals. Willie was perhaps the first shot and the unsigned bunch right now are all waiting for a team to crack and reset the market.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Problem while that makes logical sense to reduce risk for the team, its also not possible due the CBA rules.

Contract years run from July 1st - June 30th and as per CBA Matthews (any multi-year contract) is not eligible for an extension/new deal until the final year begins.

So July 1st of his 5th year is when he would be eligible to sign his next deal, but June 30th the day prior is when year #4 ends and his NMC clause kicks in.
Yep I was told. Dubas really painted himself into a corner didn't he?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Wondering, can the Leafs prevent things like this coming out as discussion by the media?

Ultimately I'm sure they don't care what is speculated but the fanbase takes the hit. A lot of loyal but naive fans listen and slurp this shit up, it's disgusting what the media does to make money.

Why is the media allowed to speculate such nonsense with no consequences for their remarks? Shanahan should rip him a new one.

This take on Auston is just so pathetic because first of all countless stars have signed 5-yr contracts after ELC and have re-signed with the team upon expiry. Toronto does it and suddenly the team is going to destruct.

If only we had media that did it right, sadly the doom and gloom sells and garners clicks :thumbd:

Can't wait to see some actual hockey, and not hear about all this nonsense being spewed in the off-season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Who are these players signing in droves with no income tax teams? Just to be clear we are talking about Dallas, Florida, Tampa, Vegas, Nashville.

For every Bobrovsky or Pavelski you can name from this group or some cost effective Lightning re-signing, you can cite an example of someone who signed with the Rangers, Leafs or gave a fair hometown discount to Boston or whatever.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Doesn't really matter because we are going to sign McDavid the next year when he leaves Edmonton to come home... every star from now on will leave on UFA and go play for their home town. It's a given.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's kinda amusing how Burke (rightfully) would take shots at Simmons and call him out for his trash tier journalism, considering Burke has now resorted to pulling the same crap Simmons would, just in front of a camera.

How the turn tables...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Wondering, can the Leafs prevent things like this coming out as discussion by the media?

Ultimately I'm sure they don't care what is speculated but the fanbase takes the hit. A lot of loyal but naive fans listen and slurp this **** up, it's disgusting what the media does to make money.

Why is the media allowed to speculate such nonsense with no consequences for their remarks? Shanahan should rip him a new one.

This take on Auston is just so pathetic because first of all countless stars have signed 5-yr contracts after ELC and have re-signed with the team upon expiry. Toronto does it and suddenly the team is going to destruct.

If only we had media that did it right, sadly the doom and gloom sells and garners clicks :thumbd:

Can't wait to see some actual hockey, and not hear about all this nonsense being spewed in the off-season.

No they can’t. Nor should they.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
who cares if matthews want to leave in 5 years.

i just hope he shows up for an entire season at some point in the next 5 years.

he needs to step up in the next five years. play like a leader. play like he gives a shit....then fine, go home....

Reactions: dsred

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
who cares if matthews want to leave in 5 years.

i just hope he shows up for an entire season at some point in the next 5 years.

he needs to step up in the next five years. play like a leader. play like he gives a ****....then fine, go home....

We can't start assuming everybody is a home body.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
My thought process;

- I doubt even Auston Matthews knows what he plans to do. If the Leafs fail to make it out of the first round the next 5 years, yeah he probably leaves, and heck, could be traded. Brian Burke or anyone claiming to know what Matthews will do are bullshitters.

- There’s certainly more to indicate that Matthews plans on staying in Toronto, than there is that he already intends on leaving.

- It’s no coincidence that Burke said this, days after that commercial for a Arizona University comes out.

- At the end of the day, length of tenure doesn’t measure anything. 8 years would be longer than Gilmour’s stint with us. 8 years would be one year less than Clark’s original run with us. Those guys have statues out front of our arena and banners hanging in the rafters. If Matthews next 5 years are filled with hardware, both personal and team, he’ll go down in history.

- 5 years is a long time. Think of where you were 5 years ago compared to now. Did you do it? Great. Now shut up for at least the next 4 years.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

First Burke is an idiot who nearly destroyed this franchise. Poor evaluation of the talent on our team, bad drafting, some very questionable trades (all GM’s), awful contracts (Lupul, Phaneuf, etc). He basically walked into a SC in Anaheim as Murray built that team and was lucky enough to get Pronger after he asked to be moved from EDM. He is a loudmouth who parlayed his association with the NHL into a media personality.

That being said we can’t know Matthews would do in 5 years or what the team will exactly look like. Provided he has been healthy and productive the TML start negotiations at the end of season 4, what are your demands? If reasonable and willing to sign you offer him whatever the max term contract is available and sign him. If he says he wants to test free agency you trade him IMO. Look it’s every players right to go to UFA but given the what happened with JT I don’t think we can afford to gamble on our franchise C walking out of this city at 27 for nothing.

Regarding the whole tax situation we are one of only 5 teams or so that can pay the kind of bonus money that he got on his current contract. Matthews pay structure and playing in the the Toronto market is benefitting from the following:
  • He is a resident of the USA which has a lower tax rate for signing bonus than Salary. The amount of tax paid in the US and Canada is based on the number of days living in either country. I suspect he lives and trains most of his offseason in the US. That coupled its the amount of playing time in the US means about 55-60% is spent in the US. So while he is paying higher taxes on his time in Toronto there are other advantages;
  • Marketing and Endorsements. Toronto is one of maybe 5 teams in the NHL where endorsements deals can be extremely lucrative. If Matthews becomes the next captain of the TML and rises to near McDavid levels of production you can bet those deals will be flooding in;
  • Toronto is again one of the Hockey Mecca’s of the world, our fans are passionate and knowledgeable. Maybe that doesn’t matter to some but I would have to imagine if you are a player having 20K fans packing in to see you each and every night has some appeal. It would also be a huge ego boost to have the number one jersey sales each and every year;
  • Lastly if you become a legend in the city you will have a job for life. Post retirement endorsement and or media will provide you with a living well after your playing days should you pursue that.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
i'm guessing you don't have a number
I have posted my number multiple times.
and come on dude tell me what your previous account(s) were
Your weird obsession with second accounts makes me think Admins should be looking into your account...
i'm curios to see which one's still fail to understand that the GM in just an employee and not above having there performance evaluated
Nobody is above having their performance evaluated. However, it should be for a valid reason and not just blind hate because you're choosing to be misinformed.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Being offered 10 million per year over 8 years should've been a dream come true for Matthews and his family
Making less than vastly inferior Eichel is not "a dream come true".

instead he opted for a shorter deal while at the same time seemingly taking up as much of his team's cap space as he could
The team (not Matthews) opted for a shorter deal to keep everybody together, and Matthews did not take up as much cap space as he could. If he wanted to do that, he wouldn't have signed and would have waited for offer sheets.

Matthews took a deal that pays him fairly relative to modern and historical comparables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia