Speculation: Brian Burke Believes Matthews Will Leave Toronto In 5 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The worst thing about Burke becoming a pundit is that Leafs fan must co tune to differ his stupidity even though he's long been fired

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
I see no indication Matthews wants to go back to a low energy, low endorsement/advertising income market.
Arizona has been a dumpster fire for a while.

I do see the clear and deep longing in McDavid to come home :)

Reactions: Eric bungay

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
ALL HAIL AUSTIN MOTHEWS, FOR HE SHALL FLOAT LIKE A MOTH, STING LIKE A SPOON

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Both Bergeron and Crosby have been through the injury carousal more than enough times and it's never stopped them from doing the dirty work.

Carousel not carousal. I was trying to figure out what carousing had to do with injuries.

Reactions: IPS

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
What good does it do thinking about it right now? A lot of things can happen in 5 years. Let's just focus on this upcoming season.

giphy.gif

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Has Burke ever had an actual 1v1 conversation with Matthews?

Stuff like this is why most sports "analysis" is just tabloid bunk and a waste of time

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Most likely wants to go home and play and save on taxes.

If you read the following article it shows that taxes aren't a major concern JT is used as an example

John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract

Moreover, if you factor in the exchange rate; Matthews spends in Canadian dollars while earning US dollars staying in Toronto; that is even a further win for him financially

Third, most importantly Burke is a blowhard and his thought process is laughable. Example: Burke said he would do the kessel trade again in a heart beat :facepalm:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It would be really sad if he bolted as he's easily in the conversation as most talented player this franchise has ever had.

He should be a much more valued asset moving forward compared to Tavares when you factor in age and the fact Matthews is still going to get better.

Starting to think this fanbase is badly underrating just how incredible of a goalscorer and talent he is. I feel a bit of the Sundin effect here that many dont like the kid because A.) He's not physical and some might consider soft and B.) He's not Canadian.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
If you read the following article it shows that taxes aren't a major concern JT is used as an example

John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract

Moreover, if you factor in the exchange rate; Matthews spends in Canadian dollars while earning US dollars staying in Toronto; that is even a further win for him financially

Third, most importantly Burke is a blowhard and his thought process is laughable. Example: Burke said he would do the kessel trade again in a heart beat :facepalm:
What's annoying me is that the argument constantly changes.

I've been told so many many times that if a city has 10% lower taxes, the team simply pays them 10% lower aav. It's simply staggering how many times that's been flat out SCREAMED at me.

But now those same posters say things like "Players want to go to cities with lower taxes." But WHY? I thought they just get paid lower aav's if there's lower taxes?

There is NO consistency.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Matty already gets tax advantages because of the way the Leafs structured the deal.

"Lost in all the euphoria of Auston Matthews‘ contract extension is the structure of the contract, which emphasises signing bonuses over base salary. For example, of the total contract value of USD$ 58.17 million, USD$ 54 million is considered “signing bonuses.”
Why is this important?
Presuming that Auston Matthews is a non-resident of Canada, signing bonuses paid by a Canadian based NHL team to a non-resident of Canada are subject to a maximum tax rate in Canada of 15%, in accordance with the U.S.-Canada Income Tax Treaty, whereas one of Matthews’ Canadian resident teammates would be paying tax at 53.53% on those signing bonuses. Now, we’re not implying that the non-resident is paying 38.53% less in tax because, for example, Matthews would be still be paying at the highest marginal tax rate of 41.24% for a resident of the state of Arizona. But the tax savings over the length of the contract would still be $6.6 million, which is significant! Furthermore, a non-resident hockey player that resides in a tax-free state, such as Florida or Texas, would pay USD$ 2.4 million less than his Canadian teammate."

Matthews shoots...he scores...big tax savings!

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
That's more likely when John Tavares gets the Patrick Marleau treatment.
Maybe. Hockey fandom is a bit fickle and two faced.
There will be some fans that show up on the forum 5 years from now claiming that Tavares is completely crap and was over rated. Stats will be pulled to prove this. As of today they have yet to have seen a hockey game but you can bet in the future that they are among the smartest generation of young person ever...or will at least think so. This is how things are now. Think you're an expert and you are

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
How would he save on taxes if he goes back to Phoenix?

I've been told thousands of times here that the leafs just make up all tax disadvantages by paying higher aav's.

He pays his taxes as an Arizona resident. He only plays 41 home games in TO and the rest of the away games are taxed at different rate because he is not here. He makes his offseason home in AZ...the whole tax thing is a bunch of baloney that agents use to drive up the salaries. If he leaves, it's not for tax reasons...it's because he wants to get away from Babcock :nod:

Reactions: IPS

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He pays his taxes as an Arizona resident. He only plays 41 home games in TO and the rest of the away games are taxed at different rate because he is not here. He makes his offseason home in AZ...the whole tax thing is a bunch of baloney that agents use to drive up the salaries. If he leaves, it's not for tax reasons...it's because he wants to get away from Babcock :nod:

Living in the US has several tax advantages outside of just payroll taxes. Canada has punitive taxation.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I have more faith in auston holding dubas/ who ever is in charge over the barrel after the 5 years then I am in him leaving. He seems to like his money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad