Prospect Info: Brett Lernout

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Not sure how there is a comparison between how DLR was developed and how Juulsen has made the jump after 31 games.

I compare Gallagher and his 36 games in the AHL to Juulsen’s 31. Both only got to experience the ineptitude of Lefebvre and company for a little while.
He pointed out how Juulsen's 31 games didn't change anything in his development while JDLR's 34 games in 2015-2016 did. I asked him if he really thought 3 months in the AHL meant nothing to a player's development. I wasn't talking to you, because there is nothing to talk about with you. Montreal, on the other hand, I'm interested in discussing with.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How much could De la Rose have been ruined in 34 AHL games in 2015-2016, which was seen as a critical year in his stalled development? Pretty much the same amount of games as Juulsen this year no? You don't think these 3 months as a pro helped Juulsen at all in rounding out his game?

The "on pace for 10 goals" doesn't mean much as JDLR wasn't much of an offensive force when he played 33 games in 2014-2015, and you're presuming he could've reached that. One tip in goal and an empty netter (the other two goals I don't remember) if I remember correctly, really nothing to write home about.

If anything, bad management stalled his development/confidence by bringing him up and then retrograding him, not the guys in Laval specifically. He's shown improvement in 2015-2016, and in 2016-2017 where he scored 14 goals. Then again, he was never seen as an offensive player at any level.

The people who constantly **** on the Laval coaching staff just don't have much to say and are trying to fit in here with the general agenda.

It wouldn't have been 34 AHL games, it would have been 71 by then and then 133 after the next season. I watched in at 18 in the SHL and thought he looked good, in his rookie year in Hamilton at 19 he didn't produce much because he wasn't handled very well. He was playing 4th line and it wasn't until they moved him up after the WJC's and put him in a better position he started to produce and then of course they called him up to the NHL too soon. But he imo looked his best in the NHL at 19, and I'm not counting games this March when the Habs are limping to the off-season. So for me that's clear regression.

Now you say presuming he could have scored 10, which maybe he wouldn't have. Well he scored 4 in 33 games and then over 3 years he scored 1 in 67 games. I don't know how that's not regressing.

Yes bad management has their share of the blame as well as does Timmins and his staff to join the development side.

As for people constantly complaining about the Laval coaching staff, that's just bull shit. They have every right to complain about the job our AHL coaching staff has done. I consider myself a huge fan of our AHL teams and usually every year I follow/watch them very closely. I hate this coaching staff, I have been saying it for years, I think they are doing a terrible job because I think we have one of the better scouts and I think the AHL coaching staff make a lot of poor decisions that at least to me are not a good way to develop prospects.

Reactions: Tyson

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I was totally on the "Sly must go" camp, this season has been good for our prospects, so i'm becoming neutral toward him.

Reactions: Fixxer

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I had high hopes for him not very long ago. Like ell other Habs prospects he seems to have regressed over the past 1/2 years. That’s what the AHL coaches seem to be good at.

Has anyone research Nick Carriere to see exactly what qualified him to be the best option for an AHL coach who task it is to develop players?

He was a head coach in USA (university) with an overall losing record from what i can recall.

He's resume is not very good.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Lernout didn't look too good last night. Many young players are skittish with the puck at first. But he's not going to get too many opportunities. He better pick it up quick.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Lernout didn't look too good last night. Many young players are skittish with the puck at first. But he's not going to get too many opportunities. He better pick it up quick.

Honestly, he wasn't that bad, as some here are pretending.

Pertry and Benn were far more awful yesterday.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Honestly, he wasn't that bad, as some here are pretending.

Pertry and Benn were far more awful yesterday.

I found him to be unsure of what to do with the puck. Many young players are that way at first. But I don't think Lernout will be given a long leash by the organization. This is a good time for him to get comfortable.

Mete and Juulsen were the exceptions, poised with the puck from the get go. But Mete still needs to learn when to read and deal with the on coming forecheck.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Putting things in perspective-
Lernout and Juulsen have not been as bad as most other D in the current line up-

Question- can Lernout develop into a decent bottom pairing D? His upside has to be better than Benn, Alzner or Schlemko...

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I think he looked good since his second lineup.

Most people here writed him off after his game against edmonton.

He's a young 22 years old defenceman. Already more than 200 games in the AHL. He's gonna be a good 5-6 dman. Give him time.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I think he looked good since his second lineup.

Most people here writed him off after his game against edmonton.

He's a young 22 years old defenceman. Already more than 200 games in the AHL. He's gonna be a good 5-6 dman. Give him time.

He's going to have to play though to develop/gain confidence. Who come out of the lineup to give him playing time, especially if we add a dman to play with Weber over the summer:

XXXXX Weber
Reilly Petry
Alzner Juulsen
Mete, Lernout, Benn, Valiev, Schlemko

Plus, Lernout plays the right side. Weber, Petry, and Juulsen are ahead of him on the right side.

It seems he'll either be in the press box until one of those 3 is injured or they'll try to squeak him through the waiver wire, or trade him for a pick.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
He's going to have to play though to develop/gain confidence. Who come out of the lineup to give him playing time, especially if we add a dman to play with Weber over the summer:

XXXXX Weber
Reilly Petry
Alzner Juulsen
Mete, Lernout, Benn, Valiev, Schlemko

Plus, Lernout plays the right side. Weber, Petry, and Juulsen are ahead of him on the right side.
If Reilly is a 2nd pair d-man next year, the habs are in worse shape than I thought.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Putting things in perspective-
Lernout and Juulsen have not been as bad as most other D in the current line up-

Question- can Lernout develop into a decent bottom pairing D? His upside has to be better than Benn, Alzner or Schlemko...
Does it have to be? You can hope but the likelihood is he’s no more than a 6-7 dman

Reactions: Tyson

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I would leave Juulsen in the AHL for one more year and have Lernout play in the NHL next season.

Exactly.

They won't let Lernout go through waiver. They will let Juulsen be the top dman in Laval next season.

Next year defence should look like this:

Xxxx-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Mete-Lernout
Reilly

Benn Schlemko to waiver land.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Exactly.

They won't let Lernout go through waiver. They will let Juulsen be the top dman in Laval next season.

Next year defence should look like this:

Xxxx-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Mete-Lernout
Reilly

Benn Schlemko to waiver land.

That makes sense from an asset management point of view. But, imo Juulsen is better than Lernout. If you do that, you're not icing the best lineup.

And, the only way you invest in Lernout and Juulsen as right dmen, is if you forsee trading one of Petry or Weber in the next couple of years. I suppose ideally Petry or Weber are traded for a dman of equal talent who plays the left side. But that's a hard trade to make.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
That makes sense from an asset management point of view. But, imo Juulsen is better than Lernout. If you do that, you're not icing the best lineup.

Maybe they will trade petry during the season? Who knows?

They won't risk loosing Lernout to the waiver. They will choose the easy decision by sending Juulsen to the AHL and playing 25 minutes. After that injuries can happen or even a trade to make room for him.

Reactions: Tyson and Habs100

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I definitely prefer Mete over Reilly. Reilly D game is awful
Mete has a higher upside than Reilly plus this team is not contending for a while so give Mete the minutes.

I haven't been watching Reilly closely recently, but usually there's a reason you get a guy for a 5th, as we saw will Schlemko, so it's not surprising to hear people aren't happy with him.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I haven't been watching Reilly closely recently, but usually there's a reason you get a guy for a 5th, as we saw will Schlemko.
He’s got some O upside but his D game is all over the place. I would prefer mete on 2nd pairing
I will agree though we desperately need someone to play wiht Weber. That’s a almost as big a black hole as our centre position

Reactions: Tyson and Hannibal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad