Prospect Info: Brett Lernout

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I like Lernout...thought he quietly efficient in his 18 games last year.

He'll have an opportunity to play early with Weber's injury.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Defensive defense men aren't my favourite in hockey probably least, but this guy has a lot of good defensive tools, just don't see him being offensive d which habs need long term

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
You're describing every coach that's coached in Montreal the last 25yrs

LOL. Yes, yes I am. And that is why I want a change of the type of coach we hire on. Find me a Demers ( 25 years ago ) kind of guy.

Now CJ is better than MT in terms of development, and we saw the difference with Galchenyuk. I will give credit to CJ for helping Chuckys all around game, which MT could not/ would not do in 5 years. But CJ is still of the old school. See how he does.

Reactions: 417

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Defensive defense men aren't my favourite in hockey probably least, but this guy has a lot of good defensive tools, just don't see him being offensive d which habs need long term

I agree that he will never put up points. But one of Lernout's qualities is his skating and outlet pass. So he's not the classic sense of defensive defenseman à la Alzner or Benn.

He's kind of like Schlemko in the sense that he's not someone who stays back and does nothing more than defend, but can skate and move up the ice with the puck or join the rush.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I have liked what he has shown so far this camp - huge battle going on for defense spots but I'm wondering if Lernout can stay up thanks to his RHS? With Weber out and Juulsen waiver exempt this seems like a big opportunity for him to make the team. Certainly not guaranteed to happen but I think it could.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Just got cut and goes through waivers... We're going to have the softest team ever made :laugh: Kadri is going to be roughing our guys up FFS :help:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think he can be a decent 7th D, but have been saying he struggles in his own end and that's a huge problem for someone that doesn't bring much in the way of offense. He wasn't very good in the AHL, more of a 3rd pairing type. That said he's got size, skating, speed, mobility, a solid physical game and a decent shot. I would be surprised if he's picked off waivers, but I do think another year in the AHL with a different coaching staff will be good for him. Maybe in a year he can fight for the 7th D spot.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not a big fan of Lernout...but just sad that you have to waive a guy that might not have finished his progression, and yet you still have Jordie Benn and Karl Alzner in your lineup....a rebuild lineup....

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Pretty good comparison. Lernout would be lucky to reach Pateryn's level but that is his ceiling. I have no idea how some think Lernout can keep up in the NHL but Alzner can't.

I have no idea how some think he cant keep up in the nhl.he s looked solid to me from what i ve seen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have no idea how some think he cant keep up in the nhl.he s looked solid to me from what i ve seen.

Another bruiser who has limited mobility and skating. I hope he proves me wrong but he is clearly a physical defenseman that has limited offensive ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->