Player Discussion Brett Howden

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I remember watching games in the WHL the last few years where the kid would go like 25 for 40 or some insane ratio like that.

I remember ther was one game where was like 75% successful or something crazy like that. He's a beast in that respect

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I am pegging him as a better version of Stepan. Better on the dot in faceoffs. Faster. Equally good vision. Better shot. And being deployed in all situations.

That's a good comparison. Seems like he is the type of player that you can already rely on even though he is still just a kid. Felt the same way with Stepan. He makes mistakes but he seems to have NHL fundamentals in place with a Motor to go with it.

I like him with Vesey. These two are similar to me, but Howden IMO has a much higher ceiling. As a Unit, they actually remind of of the 2nd line in Tampa. Not saying Howden is the next Brayden Point, but the he an Vesey as a duo seem to buzz the ice similar to the Point, Gourde and i think Johnson or Killorn is the other player.

Team is stinking up the ice right now, and its tough to watch them lose with regularity...but I do see this combo, regardless of the RW as a step in the right direction.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I think we almost forget that a healthy Stepan was a 60 point player, and just about a ppg player in the lockout shortened season.

Stepan scores 21 goals his rookie year, 18 at even strength.

I would be elated if Howden turned into the player Stepan was that young. But I think we need to pump the brakes and put it in perspective here. I like Howden a lot, and he’s contributing this season but that’s some huge shoes to fill with those comparisons.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Stepan scores 21 goals his rookie year, 18 at even strength.

I would be elated if Howden turned into the player Stepan was that young. But I think we need to pump the brakes and put it in perspective here. I like Howden a lot, and he’s contributing this season but that’s some huge shoes to fill with those comparisons.

I agree.

I’m a big fan of Howden, and have been for a while. But I’m hesitant to put too much fuel on the fire.

I think he could be a very good NHL player for a long time. I’d rather somewhat leave it at that for now.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Memory might not be serving me right, but didn't Stepan play with Gaborik quite a bit in his rookie season? I'm sure that helped

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Memory might not be serving me right, but didn't Stepan play with Gaborik quite a bit in his rookie season? I'm sure that helped

That was his second season 2011/2012. I went back to Behind the Net's linetool for Stepan's rookie season.

With Zucc most of any forward at 32% of TOI
With Gaborik 29% of TOI

That's really low. Lines were shuffled a lot.

Compared to the 2011/2012 season, when it was a solid line most of the season:

With Gaborik 66% of TOI
with Ansimov 56% of TOI

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I think we almost forget that a healthy Stepan was a 60 point player, and just about a ppg player in the lockout shortened season.

I dont think he once hit 60.

Close though. Hes had like 55, 56 and 58 I think. To me a 60 pt player means he consistently hits 60 or slightly above.
Maybe if he had 3 seasons of 58/59 I'd be more amenable to the 60 pt player label.

I also have np conceding it's close enough that I can understand saying he's a 60 guy.

He had a lot of seasons where he had a PPG pace. Then he'd fall off the face of the Earth

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

Close though. Hes had like 55, 56 and 58 I think. To me a 60 pt player means he consistently hits 60 or slightly above.
Maybe if he had 3 seasons of 58/59 I'd be more amenable to the 60 pt player label.

I also have np conceding it's close enough that I can understand saying he's a 60 guy.

He had a lot of seasons where he had a PPG pace. Then he'd fall off the face of the Earth
Two of those seasons were like 10/12 games short of a full season, I think he had 55 in 72 and like 53 in 68, I think he could’ve gotten passed the 60 point mark in either of those seasons if he played a full season. But I do get where you’re coming from because I’m not a huge fan of pace arguments

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Two of those seasons were like 10/12 games short of a full season, I think he had 55 in 72 and like 53 in 68, I think he could’ve gotten passed the 60 point mark in either of those seasons if he played a full season. But I do get where you’re coming from because I’m not a huge fan of pace arguments
Yea edge already said that. Fact remains hed get hurt or disappear for long stretches and always fell short

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

HF should ban extrapolating stat #s... like rumors from non-credible sources

If he never hit 60, he's NOT A 60 point player

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Eh, within reason.

I'd feel less comfortable saying he was a 70 point player based on the 2013 page. But from 2013-2016, I feel pretty comfortable considering him a 60 point player.

Reactions: pdogfizzle

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Ok so then he's a consistent 55 point player. Is there really that much of a difference between a 55 and 60 point player though?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
So, based on what I’ve been reading, we have a 60 point player in each of Chytil and Howden, at least a 50 point player in Andersson and a 70 point player in Kravtsov. Does this sound too rosy to anyone else? Or maybe I’m just cynical. Who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad