Player Discussion Brett Howden

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I think that as players like PDG & Howden filter out, players like Rooney and Blackwell filter in.

Gauthier is very intriguing (we should probably just stick to discussing him in his own thread), but he really needs to be consistent a lot more. He has started to show some things (gasp.....signed of development....??) but needs to show a heck of a lot more before I can even think of him as a 3rd liner, let alone play with Chytil.
Obviously wishful thinking in my behalf. Just imagine if he were to become a 15 goal contributor. Wouldn't that be something, a RH Kreider in a crazy kind of way.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I can’t believe Howden actually scored 23 points in 66 games as a rookie. What was he 19/20?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Wow, was that an uncomfortable exchange with Stephenson or what?

It's tough. The kid does a really nice job on the PK, sacrifices himself, plays the system very well, displays a consistent effort every night and is trying his best to get some helpers and goals along the way.

But he just doesnt have the offense. It just isnt there inside the blue line. He can make some nice effort plays that can free up another player who can finish and provide the occasional eyebrow raising assist, but thats it.

He just doesnt have the one on one skills to beat a defender and he isnt strong enough on his skates to get into quality scoring positions at this level.

I feel bad for him, I do - because I know whats its like to work your tail off and do everything thats asked of you but you just arent producing despite knowing how to at the lower levels. He is a professional, he is intelligent and possibly still developing to a point in some areas, but let's be honest- time is running out on his career if he cant put the puck in the net.

On a really good team he is a tweener/extra forward at best. He has his youth on his side and his determination. I wish him the best but if he is still with this team in the role his is in now, without noticeable improvements with the puck on his stick - the Rangers have bigger problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad