Player Discussion Brett Howden

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
bl02, can you add the light blue "player discussion" tag to the thread title?

I liked what he showed. Deserves more minutes. Maybe play him on a higher line. I don't think he needs to play center either.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes it will be fun to watch him in some days - I hope he get some more ice time for sure.

Reactions: bl02

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Looks like he's pretty far along at such a young age.

Maybe his offensive ceiling is limited, but in the new NHL guys with size and speed can put up points even if they aren't snipers with great hands.

Not loving that he'll be looking at only 9-10 minutes a night though, which they would find a way to use him on the PK. Anisimov did when he played 4th line his rookie year.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
Better than I expected. I wasn’t sure he’d be able to go junior to NHL playing the role it looks like they want from him.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
voluntarily eating crow on this one. don't think i ever actually expressed it on the board but i wasn't a fan of howden being a big part of the mac return. just feels like a lot of similarly built junior/even canada wjc standouts really haven't panned out to expectations. the way the game is played/called now the shorter/more explosive small area guys are at a huge advantage, and the taller/leaner guys have become the most disadvantaged as its rare they have the footspeed to compete. with that in mind i basically assumed and prepared for the worst with him and have been very pleasantly surprised.

while hes certainly not gonna be a ppg guy, i love his hockey sense and ability to handle just about any puck coming into him - also has a great awareness and feel for the ice. would give him best case upside of trevor linden, worst of artie anisimov.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Looks like he's pretty far along at such a young age.

Maybe his offensive ceiling is limited, but in the new NHL guys with size and speed can put up points even if they aren't snipers with great hands.

Not loving that he'll be looking at only 9-10 minutes a night though, which they would find a way to use him on the PK. Anisimov did when he played 4th line his rookie year.
I think if Howden continues to be good on faceoffs, with his speed, he will likely eventually be on the PK

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm a fan of Howden and have been for a few years.

If he keeps progressing, you'll see that he's a smart and pretty versatile player. He can slide around in a lineup and not look out of place with grinders, in a shut down role, or in an offensive role. He's a very smart player who, not unlike Andersson, often knows where to be on the ice. As a result, he's not typically a highlight reel kind of player.

He's good on faceoffs and continues to grow in that area and I think his offensive ceiling is higher than most give him credit for. Not that I expect 30 goals and 65 points, but I don't think the 20+ goal and 50+ point range is out of the question down the road. I think he could be capable of playing on a second line someday, though the line is less important than what he brings to the table. If he's playing on an effective third line and posting the numbers I just mentioned, I don't think most people would lament about him not being on a second line.

The thing with Howden is that his game has grown a lot since being drafted. There's a tendency to still view him like it's 2016 and that's not quite accurate anymore. He's got a shot to be a core player, and I think that's what the Rangers envision as well. But there are going to be some growing pains, he's still young and frankly, he's still growing. There was this misconception that he was plowing over people in juniors and that's not entirely accurate. But give him a couple of years and I think added strength will enhance is game even further.

As for developing with the big club, I think he's one of those players who could be just fine starting in a bottom six role and working his way up. That doesn't necessarily work for all kids, but his game could be a good fit. I don't expect him to get 10 minutes every night, but I also think the Rangers are going to bring him a long progressively. Frankly, they don't need to be force feeding him minutes right now. I think this is the time to ease guys like Howden in, and lean on the likes of Zibanejad and Hayes to start the season. Let the former acclimate, and allow the latter to develop a rhythm or pulse to their games.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He had a great shift at the end of the game and made tons of solid defensive plays. Every time he was on the ice he made a sneaky good play. He played it safe this game but that shift at the end was a good flash to see. Keeping him up here was a good decision

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What is it limited to? The fact that he is not considered to be an an elite level,top line scoring material? That would make a lot of players have an offensive ceiling that is limited. The kid played in juniors last year. His game has been developing fairly well. Not sure of "limited" is the right word here.

As for 10 minutes of playing time. That is about right for him at this stage. No need to force feed him minutes.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
He's so big and so quick and so smart. It's almost impossible not to expect too much from him.

Reactions: E-Train

CaptBagel

May 2, 2018
Thought Howden played well but not nearly enough minutes.
Rather him play 20 mins in Hartford.
They should just play all 4 lines equally.

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
sorry if this is a dumb question, but i do not follow minors and prospects all that much. does he have Stepan upside? or is that too optimistic? who does he compare to?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
sorry if this is a dumb question, but i do not follow minors and prospects all that much. does he have Stepan upside? or is that too optimistic? who does he compare to?
I don’t think 50 points is out of the question for Howden in a peak season.

He’s a good playmaker and obviously strong down low. Like Stepan, Howden is also very smart and thinks the game well. I like his offesive upside a bit more than most Rangers fans seem to.

Edit: Yeah, Edge already made a way better post than this, read that one :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->