Player Discussion Brett Howden

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I don't think 60 points is a reasonable projection for Howden and Chytil just yet.

My sentiments exactly. I’m afraid Chytil could end up being anywhere between a very skilled third line scoring forward or a solid second liner. I don’t know much about Howden beyond a handful of games I’ve seen him play this season.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Stepan scores 21 goals his rookie year, 18 at even strength.

I would be elated if Howden turned into the player Stepan was that young. But I think we need to pump the brakes and put it in perspective here. I like Howden a lot, and he’s contributing this season but that’s some huge shoes to fill with those comparisons.
The hatrick in Stepan’s first game was phenomenal. As impressive as Howden has been, he didn’t net a hatty in his first taste of real NHL hockey. Seriously though, this kid is already playing like a vet. For a rookie, he is so poised and heady and always around the play. Well ahead of the curve, he has that Towes or Holik type game. Solid at the dot, reliable in his own zone and hopefully scores timely goals for winning teams.

Reactions: haveandare

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'd take a reverse Stepan for Howden. 40pt player in the regular season but a 60pt player in the playoffs

I don't foresee Howden getting PP1 time. Who knows

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Kid looks good out there. Expect him to slow down later in the season but that's ok.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Stepan was a lazy dog as soon as he hit his big pay day. He also was a complete imbecile at faceoffs. He barely tried. Then then new rule changes came in and that helped him. It rewards lazy faceoff players. I find it hysterical he's winning 54% of his draws this season now that he's basically been sent to Siberia. Of course, he has a whopping 6 points for the absurd money he's making. Howden is already a superior player in many regards to Stepan. Stepan was physically pathetic. He was weak with little ability to win pucks in the corner where Howden is the opposite. Stepan had no net front presence and little ability to score garbage goals which you need in to do in the playoffs. Howden is the opposite of that. Stepan IMO, got way too much credit for his defensive play. He was solid. Nothing great. Howden seems to have the skills to be elite defensively. If DeAngelo can actually learn to play hockey at the NHL level, that trade will be one of the biggest heists in Rangers history.

A few playoff moments by Stepan doesn't erase the countless games where he barely even showed up. Best part about Stepan was his mom.

The only thing that is correct in your post is that his name is indeed Stepan.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Stepan was a lazy dog as soon as he hit his big pay day. He also was a complete imbecile at faceoffs. He barely tried. Then then new rule changes came in and that helped him. It rewards lazy faceoff players. I find it hysterical he's winning 54% of his draws this season now that he's basically been sent to Siberia. Of course, he has a whopping 6 points for the absurd money he's making. Howden is already a superior player in many regards to Stepan. Stepan was physically pathetic. He was weak with little ability to win pucks in the corner where Howden is the opposite. Stepan had no net front presence and little ability to score garbage goals which you need in to do in the playoffs. Howden is the opposite of that. Stepan IMO, got way too much credit for his defensive play. He was solid. Nothing great. Howden seems to have the skills to be elite defensively. If DeAngelo can actually learn to play hockey at the NHL level, that trade will be one of the biggest heists in Rangers history.

A few playoff moments by Stepan doesn't erase the countless games where he barely even showed up. Best part about Stepan was his mom.
Wow. Wrong on many levels. A bit harsh. Game 7 OT vs Caps. Makes his entire tenure here worth it. And I’m on record for saying I liked the Trade and think Stepan was at best a 2nd line center

I did have the hots for his mom though

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

Every player aside from HOF's have flaws and Stepan was no exception. He was a solid player for us and had some big, big goals. Saying Howden is already ahead is a little absurd.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kid looks good out there. Expect him to slow down later in the season but that's ok.

Eh I dunno if that’s set in stone.

His toi isn’t crazy and he’s been conditioned to playing a pretty full schedule being a CHL guy.

Regardless, he’s looked better as a 20 year old rookie than stepan did through the first month. Not only has he been more productive, his overall game has been much better.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I dont see many similarities between Howden and Stepan, outside of they are/were both mature players for their age and wear #21.

I guess they are also both smart and have good offensive instincts. But Howden is bigger and faster while Stepan is probably the better playmaker.

Stepan had about as productive a rookie campaign as you can expect but he didn't hit 8 points until game 17.

Its hard to find a comparison for Howden because players that fit his profile: big, fast, talented, and hard working... tend to be really good players. Which continues us on the "it's hard not to expect too much from him" path.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The only thing that is correct in your post is that his name is indeed Stepan.
Agreed.

Stepan and Howden are not similar at all, except for the hard work. As McRanger points out, Howden is bigger and faster. Is it fair to expect him to slow down? Sure it is. But as others have said, let's just see how he does for as long as he does. In what is probably a lost season for the Rangers (playoff wise), he could be a very nice bright spot.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Agreed.

Stepan and Howden are not similar at all, except for the hard work. As McRanger points out, Howden is bigger and faster. Is it fair to expect him to slow down? Sure it is. But as others have said, let's just see how he does for as long as he does. In what is probably a lost season for the Rangers (playoff wise), he could be a very nice bright spot.

I think that player comparisons are a lazy way to evaluate someone.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It's pretty funny how underrated Dstep has become.

Anyway, Howden has contributed by cashing in and being in the right spots thus far. You can see he knows where to go in the offensive zone.

Haven't seen too much of a dynamic side yet in terms of carrying the puck and making plays. Stepan showed a lot more of that side at a similar age, IMO. Just 16 shots in 13 games so far.

That's why I feel like these 'Stepan 2.0 and better' comparisons are jumping the gun. Stepan is a 55-60 point player since about age 21-22. Not elite but not an easy player to find either.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I haven’t seen Howden much before this season so I’ve been closely reading a lot of our posters on him to get a sense of the player he can become.

One of the things that’s stood out for me is his awareness in the O-zone. When we have the puck (he’s off the puck tho) he moves around and finds space. Especially on the PP last couple games. He sees the open space and moves to it. It helps spread things out and gets guys chances even when he doesn’t get the puck. Sounds simple but hell if we don’t have plenty of guys who go to a spot and wait for the puck ready to shoot all game. Very encouraging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad