Player Discussion Brett Howden

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
One of the things we're not talking about, and understanbly so because Howden is a rookie, is his leadership potential as well.

This kid has a very good shot at wearing a letter in the NHL. I'd even say that if it wasn't for Andersson, we'd probably hear more quips about how he could the captain of this team someday.

Reactions: Trxjw and NY Lito

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
One of the things we're not talking about, and understanbly so because Howden is a rookie, is his leadership potential as well.

This kid has a very good shot at wearing a letter in the NHL. I'd even say that if it wasn't for Andersson, we'd probably hear more quips about how he could the captain of this team someday.
Dreaming of a Forsberg-Sakic captaincy combination that wins a cup

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

Edge... One thing that gets me really excited about Howden is how much you love the kid :)

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Howden put up too many points recently so send him down to Wolfpack - we don`t need points this season. :)

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
You know who howden really reminds me of?

Henrik zetterberg.

Obviously not in a 1 to 1 relationship...just..so many things about his game reminds me of zetterberg.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Howden has the same "problem" as Lias. They are prospects that aren't necessarily eye-catching flashy guys, but they are the most complete prospects we have. I love kids like that.

PS: It's not a problem at all. Or shouldn't be.

Reactions: Rongomania

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Howden has the same "problem" as Lias. They are prospects that aren't necessarily eye-catching flashy guys, but they are the most complete prospects we have. I love kids like that.

PS: It's not a problem at all. Or shouldn't be.

Ideally, if we catch a bit of luck, these are the kids that compliment the Kravtsov's, whoever we take in 2019, etc.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Im just glad that Howden is getting the minutes with the big club so he can continue to develop unlike Maholtra and Lundmark who rotted on the 4th line at young ages because the organization was trying to hold onto competing with the old guard.

This is also why Chytil needs to be moved back up or sent down

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Im just glad that Howden is getting the minutes with the big club so he can continue to develop unlike Maholtra and Lundmark who rotted on the 4th line at young ages because the organization was trying to hold onto competing with the old guard.

This is also why Chytil needs to be moved back up or sent down

This notion that management can ruin a player's career makes no sense to me. Good players create their own opportunities and their own development.

They force management to push them up the lineup. No one helped Howden. He earned it by making his bosses feel safe using him.

Lundmark and Malhotra were not good enough. No one held them back. Buchnevich is in danger of following the same path as Lundmark and Malhotra. Hopefully he figures it out, but if he doesn't, it will be his fault and no one else's.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This notion that management can ruin a player's career makes no sense to me. Good players create their own opportunities and their own development.

They force management to push them up the lineup. No one helped Howden. He earned it by making his bosses feel safe using him.

Landmark and Malhotra were not good enough. No one held them back. Buchnevich is in danger of following the same path as Lundmark and Malhotra. Hopefully he figures it out, but if he doesn't, it will be his fault and no one else's.

Exactly.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
So, based on what I’ve been reading, we have a 60 point player in each of Chytil and Howden, at least a 50 point player in Andersson and a 70 point player in Kravtsov. Does this sound too rosy to anyone else? Or maybe I’m just cynical. Who knows.

I don’t think it’s that much of a reach in today’s NHL to be honest. I think there are a few teams that play a somewhat interchangeable top 6 where in any given year any group of those players can lead the team in scoring and the following season perhaps the other 6. It seems like a bit of a trend, like Carolina, Jets, Nucks, Kings at times, Sharks. Some more than others.

But I certainly think Howden looks like a player that can one day score 60 points or more in an NHL season. Perhaps not consistently, perhaps one year, perhaps five years in a row. A lot of variables in play. I’d go as far as to say if he progresses as he has been and this isn’t a fluke, perhaps 60 is not his max possible, but that’s what think he is yet to show. That extra bit of offense that turns players from 60 point to 70 or ppg players.

With his current ability, given steady progression and ample opportunity, he seems like a player that can steadily do 50 to 60 a year. Kind Of see similarities with Jordan Staal or Bo Horvat a bit.

I honestly right now am less sure of Chytil even. And I wouldn’t be surprised in 5 years if Howden is the Rangers 1C and Andersson it’s 2c. Or perhaps vice versa. But I have seen way better offensive skills out of Howden than expected. He looks to have the ability to keep surprising. From everything I’ve read and seen from Andersson, he doesn’t sound or look that much more advanced offensively than what we are seeing from a Howden. Unless the Rangers bring in a true phenom type Center prospect, those two I think stand a good chance of being a semi interchangeable 1 and 2C. Not a prediction, just an assessment.

Last edited:
Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

Lundmark and Malhotra were not good enough. No one held them back. Buchnevich is in danger of following the same path as Lundmark and Malhotra. Hopefully he figures it out, but if he doesn't, it will be his fault and no one else's.

A young player needs to play in order to develop, preferably in a role akin to what they are projected to grow into. Chytil grinding out minutes on the 4th line at the age of 19 does not make any sense to me. If the coach does not feel he is ready to play a good chunk of minutes every night, he shouldn't be here.

Reactions: RGY

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017

Agree. IMO Buch must play better if he want to be in top 6. If he doesn't, he can be traded in February..

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Hopefully, Howden is OK after the collusion into the boards last night. Quinn said it was an upper body injury. It looked like Howden was also limping a little bit after he got up.

Howden is one of the last players the Rangers need to be seriously injured.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Quinn/Rangers Twitter also said he was held out for precautionary reasons, so it could be not as bad as we thought.

Either way, Quinn said they'd see how he felt/looked today, so we'll know more in a few hours.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com

Huh? Proof? This is your opinion.

Malhotra played in the NHL for 17 seasons... "not good enough"... lol. He did that as a defensive forward who if handled correctly and allowed to play in the OHL for a while longer, may have developed a little more confidence with the puck and had some more offensive components become part of his game. It's much harder to work on offensive creativity as a teenager when you're on a fourth line in the nhl being played against the top lines of the top teams... in the world.

Management can't ruin a career... LOL. Christian Dube says "hi." After management mandated that he bulk up before the following season... they told him that he was too bulky/slow and he should slim down... only to have the process repeated again.

Reactions: RGY

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yea I have to say while some young players may have the talent and skill alone to get them to the the NHL and be effective, others dont. I 100% disagree about Lundmark and Maholtra. The Rangers rushed/mishandled those guys so poorly. Same with Dube. Yeah they may not have become star players in the league but they certainly couldve been developed into more effective players that could contribute. At that time the Rangers had these young kids they wanted to infuse into the lineup but at the same time they were holding onto the older veterans trying to compete. They didnt weed some of those vets out to give the younger kids not just more minutes, but more minutes with more quality players around them. They rotted on the 3rd/4th line with junk...just like Chytil is getting the shaft playing with McLeod who has no business being in the NHL and Lettieri who cant do much other than forecheck and skate hard, guy has zero offensive ability at the NHL level. They shouldve let those young kids play in Juniors/AHL longer rather than squeeze them onto the NHL roster. Doing that to an 18-20 year can absolutely screw with their development. Think about how your mindset was at that age and playing a sport competitively...and then throw in the component of being injected into the NHL against grown men who have been doing it for so long. You cant expect that of your young prospects if they are not named McDavid, Eichel, etc.

Also hope Howden is ok. Kid has been incredible and is developing right in front of our eyes as Stepan did.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I didn't see the injury but I saw mention of a possible concussion? Anyone have a clip of it? I missed the game last night

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I didn't see the injury but I saw mention of a possible concussion? Anyone have a clip of it? I missed the game last night

MSG has a clip. Couldn't find one on Twitter.

Howden Injury Looks Scary, But Is It Serious? - MSGNetworks.com

To be an optimist, they said holding him out was precautionary, so it might not be so bad. His legs took an awkward angle and he got sandwiched pretty good between the boards and Sobotka. Probably going through concussion protocol, but I thought he maybe got the wind knocked out of him more than anything.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
MSG has a clip. Couldn't find one on Twitter.

Howden Injury Looks Scary, But Is It Serious? - MSGNetworks.com

To be an optimist, they said holding him out was precautionary, so it might not be so bad. His legs took an awkward angle and he got sandwiched pretty good between the boards and Sobotka. Probably going through concussion protocol, but I thought he maybe got the wind knocked out of him more than anything.

Thanks. I did find a gif on twitter of it. It’s an ugly spill. Hopefully it’s just precautionary as you said.

Reactions: Charlie Conway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad