Player Discussion Brett Howden

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Ignoring the realities of the lottery, I don't think they've played like the worst team in the league, especially the first two games. Not sure why the shot at the team at the end.

Most teams will perform pretty close at the start of the season and it could stretch even through the year end. But then contenders and true playoff hopefuls will be able to raise their games while pretenders won’t.

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Ignoring the realities of the lottery, I don't think they've played like the worst team in the league, especially the first two games. Not sure why the shot at the team at the end.

First two, certainly not. Though they’re also a Lundqvist world-besting performance from being 0-4 as well.

But either way, they’re a probable lottery team — and likely on the higher side of the odds spectrum.

Reactions: jas

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I like his game better at 20 than I did stepans, and step was a very, very good rookie.

Hes only going to get better too.
I have to agree with this. I know it's blasphemy but stepan to me always... Felt...like more of a passenger than the stats showed. I always felt like yeah, he put up strong numbers and was a great ranger....but I also always felt like his linemates made him better a lot more than he made his linemates better...I'm sure the wowy show the opposite...but it felt that way ..this is an eye test thing

Reactions: Bozle

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I have to agree with this. I know it's blasphemy but stepan to me always... Felt...like more of a passenger than the stats showed. I always felt like yeah, he put up strong numbers and was a great ranger....but I also always felt like his linemates made him better a lot more than he made his linemates better...I'm sure the wowy show the opposite...but it felt that way ..this is an eye test thing

I think that’s fair. When he was on the ice good things happened more often than not but he didn’t really take any player to the next level.

It’s a shame though, he was such a dominant amateur. The foot speed held him back from being excellent at the NHL level. Howden has the extra gear (and size) that Step doesn’t and looks like a natural play driver.

Stepan also had/has spooner like ability to be completely invisible but still end up with a 3 point game. It’s uncanny

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like his game better at 20 than I did stepans, and step was a very, very good rookie.

Hes only going to get better too.

I think it's a little early for me to go there. Derek is a hell of a player though skating for him is not a strength. See where Brett is around thanksgiving maybe. So far though very good. Very high hockey IQ--good size, very good skating. If he can keep on contributing on offense he could win the Stepan comparison.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Howden is playing like the kind of the player I was hoping Hayes would turn into. Howden seem to be able to change pace, shows some creativity, has a tough area presence that Hayes seems to be lacking. I figured Hayes would be able to add more of those traits to his game, but maybe that is why the Rangers decided on a one year.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I wonder if howdens got the motor to keep this up. I've never watched him 1 second in juniors so I don't know how he plays...but he's constantly moving out there at a high pace....can a guy his size sustain that for 82 games? I have my doubts. We'll see.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Stepan didn’t impact all three zones much at all his rookie season. He was a very good rookie, but he didn’t really turn into a strong 2 way presence until his 3rd season.

Not saying that Howden will have a better year, but he’s doing things now at 20 that stepan wasn’t doing at 20, that’s all.

The day Zuccarello is benched, the fanboys will come out in droves to ask for Quinn's head. But with the way Zuccarello has been playing, I would not mind a benching.

He’s out spooner’d spooner.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wonder if howdens got the motor to keep this up. I've never watched him 1 second in juniors so I don't know how he plays...but he's constantly moving out there at a high pace....can a guy his size sustain that for 82 games? I have my doubts. We'll see.

I'm also less concerned with how a rookie looks in October than I am with how they look in December and January. That seems to be where they jump to the NHL catches up to them.

Teams adapt, fatigue appears, the grind dulls the edge a bit. These will all be challenges for guys like Howden, Chytil and others. Ideally, that might also be a time the Rangers can bring up a kid or two and have their energy in the lineup.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm also less concerned with how a rookie looks in October than I am with how they look in December and January. That seems to be where they jump to the NHL catches up to them.

Teams adapt, fatigue appears, the grind dulls the edge a bit. These will all be challenges for guys like Howden, Chytil and others. Ideally, that might also be a time the Rangers can bring up a kid or two and have their energy in the lineup.

Remember how good Vesey and hell, Prucha, looked at the start of their NHL careers? The grind is real.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Yeah the sheer number of no shows thus far is shocking. A good veteran benching works tho. Namestnikov definitely played better since his benching.

Is it?

Our leadership group consists of a ton of extremely flawed, inconsistent players. This is the name of the game for guys like Zib and Kreider. Zucc had serious issues with it when he first came over the NHL as well.

I figured most would have seen this coming a mile away. It’s another thing that made the last few seasons so unbearable, despite the Rangers success.

For every success story we’ve had like Grabner, Boyle, Pouliot, etc, we’ve had 4 veterans playing below their usual quality or dogging it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Always hesitant to push too firmly on the gas when a player starts strong.

I still remember the Lindberg hype train accelerating fast when he came up to the NHL. He too was originally pegged as more of a support player before projections got creative.

That golden helmet, bro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad