Player Discussion Brett Howden

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Of course Howden will hit the rookie wall. Not to expect that is silly. There will be ebbs and flows to his game. Just as long as he keeps learning and taking steps forward, I am happy. But it's only 4 games. Many have burst out of the gate before. But there is something to his game. And he will wind up becoming bigger physically, which will only aid it.

Reactions: egelband

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
This kid reminds me of a bigger faster version of a cross between Adam Graves/Derek Stephan. IMHO (yes I know it’s early) he alone is a win straight up for a declining 7 million dollar McDonough. Never mind the additional prospects and picks.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This kid reminds me of a bigger faster version of a cross between Adam Graves/Derek Stephan. IMHO (yes I know it’s early) he alone is a win straight up for a declining 7 million dollar McDonough. Never mind the additional prospects and picks.

Agreed, it's still early but getting Howden, Namestnikov, Hajek, Lundkvist + whatever the 2nd/1st rounder in 2019 will turn out to be is a great package

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Of course Howden will hit the rookie wall. Not to expect that is silly. There will be ebbs and flows to his game. Just as long as he keeps learning and taking steps forward, I am happy. But it's only 4 games. Many have burst out of the gate before. But there is something to his game. And he will wind up becoming bigger physically, which will only aid it.

Howden's room for growth, physically and production wise, is fairly significant.

It's not so much that Howden is raw, because he's actually a pretty sound player, but rather that he's still maturing and growing.

He got pigeonholed as a bottom six forward prior to the draft and I feel like he's had to fight to show that he has scoring chops as well. The kid's creative and smart. What he lacks in skills competition abilities he more than makes up for with intelligence.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

That something IMO is that he isn't overwhelmed by things that normally overwhelm people his age.

He's been great in all 3 zones AND in the dot which is less important, but still better to have than to not have.

More than the goal, he play he made to strip Burns on his side of the NZ and take it the other way was awesome.

Reactions: Riche16

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
First two, certainly not. Though they’re also a Lundqvist world-besting performance from being 0-4 as well.

But either way, they’re a probable lottery team — and likely on the higher side of the odds spectrum.

Sorry, Edge I don't like when people do this. You're basically giving one side of the story. Another way of looking at it is we're a couple of blown calls from possibly being 3-1 or at least 1-1-2. This is like the haters on the main board saying we were a puck sitting on the goalline away from being swept and not mentioning some of blown calls and non-calls that contributed to 2 losses.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Sorry, Edge I don't like when people do this. You're basically giving one side of the story. Another way of looking at it is we're a couple of blown calls from possibly being 3-1 or at least 1-1-2. This is like the haters on the main board saying we were a puck sitting on the goalline away from being swept and not mentioning some of blown calls and non-calls that contributed to 2 losses.

Eh, I kind of feel the same way about the blown call approach.

But, again, whether the team started 1-3, 3-1, 2-2, 4-0, 0-4, it really doesn't strike me as a playoff team. So circling back to the original comment, that would put them in the lottery for a guy like Hughes, which I believe was the original aspect you objected to.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Dude We've had both Stepan and McDonagh for over 5 seasons, the least you could do is to learn how to spell their damn names.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Seems Chytil should have some more apples, some opportunities for Names have been layups. Decent chemistry between the two of them. Gotta send Lettieri down, I just don't see his game complimenting either of them. How's Boo doing?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I actually think that the ability to win draws is pretty important. Feels like the Rangers are usually on the loosing end of those.

It's nice to have but hardly a necessity.

Look at it this way, Howden has been dominant at face offs so far this year - One of the ones he lost directly ended up in the back of his own net (Nashville's 2nd goal.)

OTOH, he won 3 straight at one point after his team iced the puck twice in a span of like 8 seconds. I cracked a grin when he won the third one against Pavelski, almost in reaction to how there seems to be nothing that he can't do.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I remember watching him in last year's playoffs and just dominating the faceoff assignments.

Before this board had a chance to see Howden, there were some suggestions about playing him as a wing. One of the reasons I was not crazy about the idea was/is because Howden to me is best as a center. In other words, his style of play just particularly fits the position.

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If this is what Howden continues to be, it'll completely change my opinion on that trade.

Granted, it's been 4 games (remember Prucha?) but he's a promising prospect.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Thrilled that he's playing so well and winning people over. I'm sure he's going to level off or struggle throughout the season, but this is exactly why I've been so high on him for so long. The hockey sense is just off the charts.

I’ll say what I said when you and Edge gave me your respective opinions on him...Derek Stepan with size and better skating ability? Sounds like a top six center to me.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
He's produced in every league he's played in and additionally in the WJ games. I think he has every chance of turn into a super solid top 6 center

He was a first round pick for a reason... Doesn't have a ton of flaws in his game

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Starting to think that #21 will be one of, if not the most important peace of this "rebuild"

I've always felt he had a legit shot to be a part of that core and was flying a bit under the radar.

He's never going to be the flashiest piece, or the most talented, or lead the team in scoring, but I think he can potentially bring a crucial all-around game and play in any situation.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Physically he is going to fill out more, mature more and that will only help cement in this league for several years to come to go along with a lot of his great attributes.

This is no knock on others, but he certainly has more of an impact and been more noticeable than Chytil, Andersson, and even Buch due to the fact that you see the offensive skill show up in games but also he helps contribute to the possibility of a win in all aspects of a 60 minute game

Reactions: Lion Hound

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
His faceoff % as a rookie is absolutely incredible. There are only a handful of rookies that are able to crack anywhere near 50% each year let alone 60%. He could easily be an elite faceoff man in the NHL for years to come.

I remember watching games in the WHL the last few years where the kid would go like 25 for 40 or some insane ratio like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->