Player Discussion Brett Howden

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This kid is a hard worker. But in a good way, you know what I mean? You see it reflect in the results. He's not one of these guys who tries real hard but he's a possession drag and doesn't score. It's quality work.

If I'm understanding him correctly, I think that's something Gorton was going for.

Sometimes I wish he had it on 9.5 instead of 11 because he's hurting himself, but that will come with age.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This kid is a hard worker. But in a good way, you know what I mean? You see it reflect in the results. He's not one of these guys who tries real hard but he's a possession drag and doesn't score. It's quality work.
Sorry, but what is an example of being a hard worker in a bad way? Working hard and not having possession stats means your overall workload has low quality??

Anyway, back to Howden. He fits what Quinn and Gorton are trying to build. Has size, skill and work habits. Not much not to like. Seems to be living in the moment.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Sorry, but what is an example of being a hard worker in a bad way? Working hard and not having possession stats means your overall workload has low quality??

Anyway, back to Howden. He fits what Quinn and Gorton are trying to build. Has size, skill and work habits. Not much not to like. Seems to be living in the moment.
He’s saying being a hard worker doesn’t always make you a good player and poor play can get overlooked more often if you’re a hard worker

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I was thinking more Ryan Hollwegg. Did absolutely nothing but take dumb penalties.
But they were of such quality.....I actually think that Hollweg's penalties wound up being a lot based on reputation. But that is neither here not there. Point taken. Hollweg, Ortmeyer......the song remains the same.

Reactions: Machinehead

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Not enough credit is being given to Howden for singlehandedly jump-starting Chytil.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Not enough credit is being given to Howden for singlehandedly jump-starting Chytil.
Just doing a glance through NaturalStatTrick line combos, and...

...Howden and Chytil have played ~7 minutes of 5v5 time together, just under 18 minutes all-strengths.

At 5v5 they are...how do you say it...trash. Also, at all-strengths and only 5v5, Chytil has been performing better w/o Howden than Howden has w/o Chytil. Unless you go just by the scoresheet (goals/assists/points), that is. In that case, yes Howden has been better w/o Chytil than the reverse.

Brett Howden did not jump-start Filip Chytil. This is a bad narrative. Chytil was playing well without Howden.

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Just doing a glance through NaturalStatTrick line combos, and...

...Howden and Chytil have played ~7 minutes of 5v5 time together, just under 18 minutes all-strengths.

At 5v5 they are...how do you say it...trash. Also, at all-strengths and only 5v5, Chytil has been performing better w/o Howden than Howden has w/o Chytil. Unless you go just by the scoresheet (goals/assists/points), that is. In that case, yes Howden has been better w/o Chytil than the reverse.

Brett Howden did not jump-start Filip Chytil. This is a bad narrative. Chytil was playing well without Howden.

Filip Chytil: 0 goals before Howden face-planted himself, letting Filip take his spot on the power play
Filip Chytil: 5 goals after Howden face-planted himself, letting Filip take his spot on the power play

Edit: added 1 more goal tonight against NYI
Your-argument-is-invalid-lincon-lazer-bear.jpg

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
According to Joe every bad team in the league is dangerous because they work hard. In fact if you just listened to him you'd think there's a entirely inverse relationship between team record and hard working.

Every player in the NHL works hard. Without hard work, they never reach that level.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Every player in the NHL works hard. Without hard work, they never reach that level.

Well, it's like saying everybody in the NHL is skilled. True but there are different levels. I don't think the variance is as big for hard work but it's possible that some players and/or teams work harder than others.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
TBL have been cloning good forwards and watching Howden now reminds me what I saw from B Point when he played against the Rangers in his rookie/sophomore year.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I have no idea how to embed tweets but So far Howdy is tied for 2nd in the NHL in rookie scoring, with 11 points (tied with Colin White)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad