Player Discussion Brett Howden

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Filip Chytil: 0 goals before Howden face-planted himself, letting Filip take his spot on the power play
Filip Chytil: 3 goals after Howden face-planted himself, letting Filip take his spot on the power play

Edit: added 1 more goal tonight against Fla
Your-argument-is-invalid-lincon-lazer-bear.jpg
Updated

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
TBL have been cloning good forwards and watching Howden now reminds me what I saw from B Point when he played against the Rangers in his rookie/sophomore year.

Funny you mention that, in the time after we acquired him I was asking if it was reasonable to expect a similar trajectory to Point, seeing that they played on the same team in the WHL and their numbers down there followed a similar trend.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't think Howden has Point's offensive upside, but I also think Point's numbers are elevated playing in Tampa.

I've projected Howden as a 20 goal, 50+ point center in the past, though it will be interesting to see where he goes from him.

Some kids come in at a certain level and kind of stay there, some take it up a notch. I'm hesitant to put that expectation on Howden because it's a lot to ask for a kid who can't even buy a post-game beer in NY until April.

But I will say that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he pulled it off. I also think that when this team makes it back to the playoffs, this board will gain an even deeper appreciation for this kid.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Filip Chytil: 0 goals before Howden face-planted himself, letting Filip take his spot on the power play
Filip Chytil: 5 goals after Howden face-planted himself, letting Filip take his spot on the power play

Edit: added 1 more goal tonight against NYI
Your-argument-is-invalid-lincon-lazer-bear.jpg
Updated lolol

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
But I will say that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he pulled it off. I also think that when this team makes it back to the playoffs, this board will gain an even deeper appreciation for this kid.

Kid’s a gamer, you can already tell.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
He's slowed down a lot of late. Anyone know what might have changed? Is he getting tired out there or just being used differently? He still has an edge on Andersson I think who has been underwhelming at all levels. Still think he has top 6 potential long term.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He's slowed down a lot of late. Anyone know what might have changed? Is he getting tired out there or just being used differently? He still has an edge on Andersson I think who has been underwhelming at all levels. Still think he has top 6 potential long term.

Personally, I don't think he was ever quite the same after that injury scare.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Andersson has been good at literally every level but the NHL. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Unless he's slowed down significantly in the AHL.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think the Rangers will give him five or seven games after the break to see if the rest has helped him get untracked a bit. If he’s still struggling they’ll send him down through the trade deadline. But I suspect he’ll be rejuvenated with the time to rest, reflect, and recuperate.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How serious is his injury? I wonder if Lias will be called up now. It would be perfect timing with me flying in for the game next week Friday

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
How serious is his injury? I wonder if Lias will be called up now. It would be perfect timing with me flying in for the game next week Friday
We'll find out more today, but I'd still hold back on calling Lias up. There's no need to let him accrue the 40 games and burn a year off UFA. I haven't been thrilled with his recent stint in Hartford.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We'll find out more today, but I'd still hold back on calling Lias up. There's no need to let him accrue the 40 games and burn a year off UFA. I haven't been thrilled with his recent stint in Hartford.

I don't think that matters for Lias this year since he's already 20. Let me check the CBA

Edit: I think you're right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I feel like Howden is a complete injury prone mess. Been this way in juniors as well. Minor injuries all the time that as he gets older will be worse. I wouldn't count on penciling him into any long term plans at this point. I'm not even sure what he was trying to do when he made that hit yesterday. It was a unnecessary hit that he made because he was frustrated over his scoring chance not going in.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Out of 300+ Junior games I think he played in 280 or so, the rest he was either injured or playing in the World Junior Championships.

Hardly an injury prone mess.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Out of 300+ Junior games I think he played in 280 or so, the rest he was either injured or playing in the World Junior Championships.

Hardly an injury prone mess.
But if you actually did a little research and not just logging onto Hockeydb.com, you would know he was banged up very often in juniors and missed portions of games over minor injuries much more frequently than most. Carried right over to his first NHL season, but even more frequent.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Wait, are we saying Brett Howden is injury prone?

That really hasn't been the case at all. Most of his lost time with Moose Jaw was being away from the team, not sidelined.

He missed one game back in November.

I'm not quite following on this one.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Wait, are we saying Brett Howden is injury prone?

That really hasn't been the case at all. Most of his lost time with Moose Jaw was being away from the team, not sidelined.

He missed one game back in November.

I'm not quite following on this one.
Spoke to a season ticket holder who watched his games in juniors, it seemed like every few games he would get knocked out of the game for a period or a few shifts at a time over something minor.

He is not shocked how many times he seems to get dinged up in the NHL.

But not even juniors, are you guys watching him in the NHL? He gets banged up more frequent than anyone else on the roster aside from Zucc this season. Is that a good sign for a 20 year old?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Spoke to a season ticket holder who watches him during games, it seemed like every few games he would get knocked out of the game for a period or a few shifts at a time over something minor.

He is not shocked how many times he seems to get dinged up in the NHL.

Yeah, can say I never heard the mentioned once by anyone in the league, or who follows Moose Jaw, or the Lightening, or the WHL until this conversation. Nor have I found it to be true, and I've followed Howden for several years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad