Prospect Info: Brennan Menell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Actually, playing in the KHL does in fact have to do with everything you just argued against. Because it is the 1 league there isnt an opt out of. If he was NHL caliber currently or had a chance to crack the NHL roster he wouldve played in any of the other countless leagues that were also playing that he couldve opted out of to join camp.

Half true. Players that are loaned to other leagues can negotiate outs if both teams agree to it. Players that sign in other leagues in general don't, unless you have the star power (Joe Thornton). No team is going to give someone that doesn't have that star power an NHL out.

If while not under contract (like he wasn't) he signed in SEL, Liiga, NLA wherever, he would have been there for the year. And the fact of the matter is the KHL pays the most. You're right that's its probably true he wouldn't have broken camp with the NHL team, Belpedio needs waivers and there are a full roster of D that have one way deals.

But i'm quite confident it was likely purely financial.

He's probably making as much this season in the KHL, as he did the previous three seasons combined, and probably 3 to 4 times as much (or even more if the AHL is pro-rated) as he would have made in the AHL this year had he stayed.

A 23 year old that hasn't made a ton of money made the correct financial decision for himself, and one i'm sure many border-line players wish they could have made.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Half true. Players that are loaned to other leagues can negotiate outs if both teams agree to it. Players that sign in other leagues in general don't, unless you have the star power (Joe Thornton). No team is going to give someone that doesn't have that star power an NHL out.

If while not under contract (like he wasn't) he signed in SEL, Liiga, NLA wherever, he would have been there for the year. And the fact of the matter is the KHL pays the most. You're right that's its probably true he wouldn't have broken camp with the NHL team, Belpedio needs waivers and there are a full roster of D that have one way deals.

But i'm quite confident it was likely purely financial.

He's probably making as much this season in the KHL, as he did the previous three seasons combined, and probably 3 to 4 times as much (or even more if the AHL is pro-rated) as he would have made in the AHL this year had he stayed.

A 23 year old that hasn't made a ton of money made the correct financial decision for himself, and one i'm sure many border-line players wish they could have made.

oh i agree, it was most likely the money that made him choose the khl. Ive heard taxes there are tiny in comparison also. At least that was part of the conversation of why kovalchuk may have wanted to go back when he left the devils. but i dont think you make that decision unless you know youre not making the nhl roster

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
oh i agree, it was most likely the money that made him choose the nhl. Ive heard taxes there are tiny in comparison also. At least that was part of the conversation of why kovalchuk may have wanted to go back when he left the devils. but i dont think you make that decision unless you know youre not making the nhl roster

I think he was aware there was a good chance he was starting in the AHL, but had a pretty good shot of seeing decent NHL minutes (and salary) this year. But a delayed season also means he can probably sign after the KHL season and see NHL minutes as well.

The math just works out that it doesn't really cost him anything long term, and it was the safest bet.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He is a US citizen/resident, and will still have to pay US taxes after Russia takes their cut.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I could be 100% wrong, but I thought one of the benefits of playing in the KHL is that the KHL doesn't tax the players salaries.

i thought that as well, but then i looked up what he said, and if youre a US citizen anything you make over 100,000 would be taxed unless you own a residence abroad or live in a US territory. Or you know, revoke your citizenship

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
i thought that as well, but then i looked up what he said, and if youre a US citizen anything you make over 100,000 would be taxed unless you own a residence abroad or live in a US territory. Or you know, revoke your citizenship
What if a person is a dual citizen ...Germany / USA ?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Menell would be a US resident making his living in Russia. He would be taxed by the Russians at source, no idea the amount, then the remainder by the US. Changing your residence to Russia and "cutting your ties" to the US, is far more involved than signing a simple form, just like changing back is far more difficult. Bottom line is that the US wants Menell's taxes, just like they want ours, and if I know one thing about the IRS, it's that you don't mess with them. Just ask Wesley Snipes.

As a dual citizen (or a citizen legally residing in another country), the last thing you want is both country's tax collectors knocking on your door.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Or maybe this whole thing is a smoke screen by me to try to get Menell's name out there so Seattle selects him.

3D chess.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
Menell is a classic late bloomer. Cut a a sophomore at St. Thomas he took the non traditional path of tier 2 junior hockey (in Nebraska? really?), followed by Canadian Junior Hockey, and now the KHL. Tells me his parents have deep pockets. Obviously has offensive talent but does he have the defensive ability to play in the NHL?

Reactions: MNRube

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Menell is a classic late bloomer. Cut a a sophomore at St. Thomas he took the non traditional path of tier 2 junior hockey (in Nebraska? really?), followed by Canadian Junior Hockey, and now the KHL. Tells me his parents have deep pockets. Obviously has offensive talent but does he have the defensive ability to play in the NHL?

Yeah you have to respect his commitment. Thank god he got time in Vancouver because Iowa, Nebraska, Belarus & Lethbridge are not glamorous stops.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
His value has never been higher. However his real value is probably low around the league? Us wild fans can speculate but the guy hasn't done any thing in the NHL yet.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
i really dont see how seattle would pick mennell over say soucy or if available greenway ; JEE.

JEE won't be available. Also, the analytics team for Seattle was formerly Minnesota's and they were the one that probably said too sign Menell.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
JEE won't be available. Also, the analytics team for Seattle was formerly Minnesota's and they were the one that probably said too sign Menell.
Didn’t Fenton decide not to renew them iirc? That would put them at least two years out of knowing who Menell was? Their info isn’t as up to date as oppose to someone like greenway. I don’t think the Wild need to fear Menell being picked up.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Didn’t Fenton decide not to renew them iirc? That would put them at least two years out of knowing who Menell was? Their info isn’t as up to date as oppose to someone like greenway. I don’t think the Wild need to fear Menell being picked up.
I think the Wild would chalk up a Menell selection as a win actually.

Reactions: GuerinUp

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Didn’t Fenton decide not to renew them iirc? That would put them at least two years out of knowing who Menell was?

Huh? Brennan Menell first season for the Iowa Wild was 2017-2018, Chuck Fletcher was fired on April 23, 2018. The analytics team was fired halfway through the 2018-2019 season.

Not to mention, they are probably keeping tabs on ALL players in the NHL.

Their info isn’t as up to date as oppose to someone like greenway. I don’t think the Wild need to fear Menell being picked up.

Menell is 3 years younger than Soucy, and is a right-handed shot defenseman. If Greenway has a pretty good season, there is a chance they take him, but he's a left winger. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle does take Menell due to a) he's a right shot b) the analytics team from Minnesota, who probably helped sign him and scouted him is now in Seattle and c) watching him in Moscow and in Iowa.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle picks Menell. I don't think he's the likely pick, but in an expansion draft you're trying to find as many diamonds in the rough as you can.

Menell is the type of player they are going to be looking at, blocked in the NHL by two very good RHD. Huge success at every previous level.

I think it's likely they'd still go for Greenway, but I could certainly see them taking Menell over Soucy due to upside.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Huh? Brennan Menell first season for the Iowa Wild was 2017-2018, Chuck Fletcher was fired on April 23, 2018. The analytics team was fired halfway through the 2018-2019 season.

Menell is 3 years younger than Soucy, and is a right-handed shot defenseman. If Greenway has a pretty good season, there is a chance they take him, but he's a left winger. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle does take Menell due to a) he's a right shot b) the analytics team from Minnesota, who probably helped sign him and scouted him is now in Seattle and c) watching him in Moscow and in Iowa.
You still haven't figured out what an "analytics team" actually does?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey

I find it hard to believe that a two person analytics department was keeping close tabs to an undrafted defenseman in the AHL outside of the basic possession metrics and so on.

you want to guess how many AHL players were drafted by Vegas?

2, and I’m being generous with the 2. One was a goalie who was going to be the backup until Vegas picked up Subban and the other played 40 games in the NHL before going back to the AHL.(never made it on the Knights roster) If anything that is a cautionary tale of not to pick AHL players since the both players never contributed to Vegas.

I can assure you the Seattle FO is looking at bigger fish than Menell. If they pick him over players like Greenway we should send them a cake for being dumb.

If anything Seattle is in a horrible situation with COVID. With a shorter season to low attendance. Seattle will have to do all their scouting on TV plus get less games to decide on who they want. Most of their data will be 2 years old which points to them trying to make safer picks.

who do they pick the 23 year old defensemen who has played 5 NHL games? Or the 23 year old forward who has played 153 games already? Sounds like a no brainer to me. Known commodities always outweigh potential.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I find it hard to believe that a two person analytics department was keeping close tabs to an undrafted defenseman in the AHL outside of the basic possession metrics and so on.

you want to guess how many AHL players were drafted by Vegas?

2, and I’m being generous with the 2. One was a goalie who was going to be the backup until Vegas picked up Subban and the other played 40 games in the NHL before going back to the AHL.(never made it on the Knights roster) If anything that is a cautionary tale of not to pick AHL players since the both players never contributed to Vegas.

I can assure you the Seattle FO is looking at bigger fish than Menell. If they pick him over players like Greenway we should send them a cake for being dumb.

If anything Seattle is in a horrible situation with COVID. With a shorter season to low attendance. Seattle will have to do all their scouting on TV plus get less games to decide on who they want. Most of their data will be 2 years old which points to them trying to make safer picks.

who do they pick the 23 year old defensemen who has played 5 NHL games? Or the 23 year old forward who has played 153 games already? Sounds like a no brainer to me. Known commodities always outweigh potential.

You're not being generous with 2. 3 players spent the entire year in the AHL, 2 others spent the vast majority of it.

Connor Brickley (0 NHL games, 69 AHL games), Teemu Pulkinnen (13 NHL games, 47 AHL), Tomas Nosek(11 NHL games, 51 AHL), Branden Leipsec(0 NHL games, 49 AHL games) and Griffen Reinhart ( 0 NHL games, 54 AHL games) all spent the vast majority of the season before the expansion draft in the AHL.

For those counting at home, that's 18.5% of the 27 skaters picked were AHLers. Nearly 1 in 5.

Again, I think Greenway is the likely pick, but I don't think it's out of the question a RHD with seemingly high scoring potential is the pick. Espiecially if he continues to go near PPG in the KHL. He also may have a chance to contribute in the NHL before the season's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad