Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The quote offers no details, or source ..Sounds like someones opinion...which she is stating as fact.
I always find this to be a funny argument that I only see posed when people don’t want to believe someone.

I get it when it’s someone like Irfaan Gaffar whose track record is awful.

But none of Seravelli, Dhali, Friedge, Dreger, Woodley have given a source or details either?

No media member has essentially ever given up their source?

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
sara civian does a podcast with shayna goldman and alison lukan. she's very legit

i'd trust her over seravelli anyday. seravelli does a lot of access journalism where civian probably has real sources

Reactions: Peen

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
At this point in the season, everything would be on a need to know basis. Team would keep everything under wraps. Something would get out if they want it to get out.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Regardless of when he comes back I doubt Demko will be healthy again this season. So at this point ... just go with it. Let's see what DeSmith can do. More importantly let's see how the team responds. We're two games into the playoffs, we won't see any more playoff hockey for a year at least, and when this team is good it's is good enough to win without any one player. Unlikely things happen in the playoffs and if this team collapses without Demko it probably wasn't winning more then 1 series anyway.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
sara civian does a podcast with shayna goldman and alison lukan. she's very legit

i'd trust her over seravelli anyday. seravelli does a lot of access journalism where civian probably has real sources

It would not surprise me if Dhaliwal and Seravelli are being fed info by the team and/or agent. Demko has had two multi-week injuries on the same knee in the past six weeks or so, I would highly doubt he'd have confidence in not re-injuring himself without extended rest at least, if not surgery.

Taylor was told torn ACL. If so, Mikheyev recovery timeline.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I always find this to be a funny argument that I only see posed when people don’t want to believe someone.

I get it when it’s someone like Irfaan Gaffar whose track record is awful.

But none of Seravelli, Dhali, Friedge, Dreger, Woodley have given a source or details either?

No media member has essentially ever given up their source?
I think most people can handle the truth..If he's done for the year, so be it...There's absolutely nothing to be gained strategy wise by saying he might be back in 2-3 weeks, if he indeed has a torn ACL

I just think there's a massive gulf between Tocchet saying he's 'week to week'...to the no sources, eastern reporter (I'm not saying she's not legit) claiming she's heard that he's done for the year.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think most people can handle the truth..If he's done for the year, so be it...There's absolutely nothing to be gained strategy wise by saying he might be back in 2-3 weeks, if he indeed has a torn ACL

I just think there's a massive gulf between Tocchet saying he's 'week to week'...to the no sources, eastern reporter (I'm not saying she's not legit) claiming she's heard that he's done for the year.

The Canucks did the exact same thing with Mikheyev's torn ACL.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Canucks did the exact same thing with Mikheyev's torn ACL.
Not really, the player, the team doctors, and the agent all agreed he could play through the ACL injury (it wasnt causing him major discomfort)..The only reason he shut it down, was so that he could get the surgery over with and be ready for this season.

The narrative that the team set the parameters here , is false.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
meh. someone can be reliable but be fed bullshit

either ten people lied to sara civ or the people she got info from just weren’t the ones truly itk

or the organization lied to their closest media allies because they don’t want market optimism to be a complete 0 when they’re still trying to sell tickets.

this is the exact correct take here.

it does the organization absolutely no good, on or off the ice, to report that demko has an acl tear

that doesn't mean it's necessarily true, but you can understand why there would be delayed reporting/denial if that was the case

Reactions: Hodgy

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Not really, the player, the team doctors, and the agent all agreed he could play through the ACL injury (it wasnt causing him major discomfort)..The only reason he shut it down, was so that he could get the surgery over with and be ready for this season.

The narrative that the team set the parameters here , is false.

Yes at least they aren't having the player play through it this time, but we're talking about a goalie here, not a skater.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It would not surprise me if Dhaliwal and Seravelli are being fed info by the team and/or agent. Demko has had two multi-week injuries on the same knee in the past six weeks or so, I would highly doubt he'd have confidence in not re-injuring himself without extended rest at least, if not surgery.

Taylor was told torn ACL. If so, Mikheyev recovery timeline.

Torn ACL means no Demko for next season as well. That would be catastrophic

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
this is the exact correct take here.

it does the organization absolutely no good, on or off the ice, to report that demko has an acl tear

that doesn't mean it's necessarily true, but you can understand why there would be delayed reporting/denial if that was the case
Unless a media/reporter is actually saying or writing with certainty that he's done, and still using words to protect themselves like:
I'm hearing, word is, talk is, sounds like, etc.. (you get the idea).

Then that person's source isn't someone or the info isn't solid enough to come out and actually state Demko is done. All just speculation.

Like you said, does the team no good to say anything. All info is going to be limited to need to know. Talking JR, PA, coaches, Demko, his agent, medical staff. That's it.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

There’s huge benefit to be gained from two perspectives.

1. if he plays through something that he shouldn’t - it mitigates criticism if people are in the dark

2. if people think we aren’t having a long run, it decreases the likelihood they buy tickets. if demko was still healthy, im personally more likely to buy tickets to remaining games. that’s huge amounts of $$ when you consider this applied to selling seats

lawrence

May 19, 2012
"hes done for the playoffs"

implying the Canucks won't get pass round 2 or round 1 in time for Demko to be back in time.

implying based on the history of goalie with these knee injuries that hes out for longer time than any-team even if they are to make it to the Stanley cup finals.

Torn ACL means no Demko for next season as well. That would be catastrophic

usually a 6 month recovery so if he does surgery now, he maybe back for December and early 2025.

Catastrophic would be an understatement, but at least we can maybe prioritize a 1B goaltender with this much advanced notice.

there's a an ok list of goalies available late 20's early 30's in the UFA in July. I'm down with signing a previous number 1 goalie with experience willing to sign for 2 million for our backup next year. Wouldn't mind Martin Jones or somethin for the backup. I'm too traumatized by whats happened with Demko. He's been hurt every year since the start of his current contract.

Time to trade for markstrom

not a fan of this idea. asking price is quite high, and we could use those assets towards something else.

I personally think now we know why Demko slipped to the second round. some teams had concerns about his knee surgeries.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

implying the Canucks won't get pass round 2 or round 1 in time for Demko to be back in time.

implying based on the history of goalie with these knee injuries that hes out for longer time than any-team even if they are to make it to the Stanley cup finals.

usually a 6 month recovery so if he does surgery now, he maybe back for December and early 2025.

there's a an ok list of goalies available late 20's early 30's in the UFA in July. I'm down with signing a previous number 1 goalie with experience willing to sign for 2 million for our backup next year. Wouldn't mind Martin Jones or somethin for the backup. I'm too traumatized by whats happened with Demko. He's been hurt every year since the start of his current contract.

not a fan of this idea. asking price is quite high, and we could use those assets towards something else.

I personally think now we know why Demko slipped to the second round. some teams had concerns about his knee surgeries.
I think if it’s torn he would’ve had the injury yesterday…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad