Prospect Info: Brennan Menell

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
You're not being generous with 2. 3 players spent the entire year in the AHL, 2 others spent the vast majority of it.

Connor Brickley (0 NHL games, 69 AHL games), Teemu Pulkinnen (13 NHL games, 47 AHL), Tomas Nosek(11 NHL games, 51 AHL), Branden Leipsec(0 NHL games, 49 AHL games) and Griffen Reinhart ( 0 NHL games, 54 AHL games) all spent the vast majority of the season before the expansion draft in the AHL.

For those counting at home, that's 18.5% of the 27 skaters picked were AHLers. Nearly 1 in 5.

Again, I think Greenway is the likely pick, but I don't think it's out of the question a RHD with seemingly high scoring potential is the pick. Espiecially if he continues to go near PPG in the KHL. He also may have a chance to contribute in the NHL before the season's over.
ah serves me right for just looking at teams players played on.

However, doesn't that again drive in the point that picking AHL players is risky? Only two of those guys listed really amounted to NHL contributors(Nosek and Leipsec). Who are both around teen point contributors.

All more the reason why Greenway would be the easier pick. We have to remember that most teams will be protecting 7-3-1. There will be good defenders available for Seattle to pick from. Most teams can protect their top two lines for forwards. The opportunity for Seattle to pick a potential top6 young forward would be something they would be champing at the bit for.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
ah serves me right for just looking at teams players played on.

However, doesn't that again drive in the point that picking AHL players is risky? Only two of those guys listed really amounted to NHL contributors(Nosek and Leipsec). Who are both around teen point contributors.

All more the reason why Greenway would be the easier pick. We have to remember that most teams will be protecting 7-3-1. There will be good defenders available for Seattle to pick from. Most teams can protect their top two lines for forwards. The opportunity for Seattle to pick a potential top6 young forward would be something they would be champing at the bit for.

It is risky. The guys they picked were all "high upside" guys that they took a shot on (except Reinhart who was probably still living off his draft status). I'm sure Seattle will do the same for a number of players.

I've said this all along, Greenway is the likely pick. Especially given that forwards are probably going to be weaker than D at the draft(although C, more than W).

I just don't see it as out of the realm of possibility that they could look at Menell, see a guy that's excelled at every step of the way, coming off a very strong year in the KHL and take a shot. Puck moving RHD with offense are very valuable. Menell also isn't the typical "AHL guy" given what he's shown in the KHL. Especially if Greenway doesn't take a step next year.

If we are in fantasyland however, and somehow get Parise to waive to protect Greenway, I'd bet good money the pick is Menell over Soucy, despite the 100 + NHL games Soucy will have had(assuming there is a season).

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I find it hard to believe that a two person analytics department was keeping close tabs to an undrafted defenseman in the AHL outside of the basic possession metrics and so on.

you want to guess how many AHL players were drafted by Vegas?

2, and I’m being generous with the 2. One was a goalie who was going to be the backup until Vegas picked up Subban and the other played 40 games in the NHL before going back to the AHL.(never made it on the Knights roster) If anything that is a cautionary tale of not to pick AHL players since the both players never contributed to Vegas.

I can assure you the Seattle FO is looking at bigger fish than Menell. If they pick him over players like Greenway we should send them a cake for being dumb.

If anything Seattle is in a horrible situation with COVID. With a shorter season to low attendance. Seattle will have to do all their scouting on TV plus get less games to decide on who they want. Most of their data will be 2 years old which points to them trying to make safer picks.

who do they pick the 23 year old defensemen who has played 5 NHL games? Or the 23 year old forward who has played 153 games already? Sounds like a no brainer to me. Known commodities always outweigh potential.

i suppose their other option would be to accept bribery, stock up 1st round picks to allow other teams input on who to select, get all the bad contracts to make cap and then have a hell of a draft the following year.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I find it hard to believe that a two person analytics department was keeping close tabs to an undrafted defenseman in the AHL outside of the basic possession metrics and so on.

You never know, but they were considered one of the best in the league. As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in helping the team look at a guy like Menell to get him signed.

I can assure you the Seattle FO is looking at bigger fish than Menell. If they pick him over players like Greenway we should send them a cake for being dumb.

Why? Greenway has been called out a lot by this organization for his lack of work ethic. Guy has skill, but can't seem to put it together. He's also a big player, but plays smaller. Left wingers aren't as hard to find as good puck moving right shot defensemen.

who do they pick the 23 year old defensemen who has played 5 NHL games? Or the 23 year old forward who has played 153 games already? Sounds like a no brainer to me. Known commodities always outweigh potential.

To a degree; would they pick Brett Howden over Darren Raddysh?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You're not being generous with 2. 3 players spent the entire year in the AHL, 2 others spent the vast majority of it.

Connor Brickley (0 NHL games, 69 AHL games), Teemu Pulkinnen (13 NHL games, 47 AHL), Tomas Nosek(11 NHL games, 51 AHL), Branden Leipsec(0 NHL games, 49 AHL games) and Griffen Reinhart ( 0 NHL games, 54 AHL games) all spent the vast majority of the season before the expansion draft in the AHL.

For those counting at home, that's 18.5% of the 27 skaters picked were AHLers. Nearly 1 in 5.

Again, I think Greenway is the likely pick, but I don't think it's out of the question a RHD with seemingly high scoring potential is the pick. Espiecially if he continues to go near PPG in the KHL. He also may have a chance to contribute in the NHL before the season's over.

And Tuch had, what, 6 NHL games? Even though he wasn't necessarily a "pick".

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Menell appears to be a workhorse for his team. Good to see. Can't wait to see if that translate to the NHL.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Menell appears to be a workhorse for his team. Good to see. Can't wait to see if that translate to the NHL.
Agreed. I really like that his offense has translated so well between the AHL and KHL, given the different styles between the two leagues. I mean, he's the highest scoring defenseman in the KHL right now. That's pretty good! These next couple of years will probably be the final years of his development, so they're the make or break years for him. Should be fun to watch and cheer for him!

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
upload_2020-12-2_8-35-25.jpeg

Cuz KHL

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have no idea how good his defensive play is, but his scoring and logging 25 minutes per night(after contracting Covid, no less) while playing in a completely different culture without missing a beat, is impressive. Successful players overcome obstacles(i.e. Spurgeon), unsuccessful ones make excuses.

I hope he gets a shot on the Wild next year. If Dumba is still around it will be tough going, though. Addison and Belpedio are formidable competition.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I hope he gets a shot on the Wild next year. If Dumba is still around it will be tough going, though. Addison and Belpedio are formidable competition.

As high as I was on Belpedio (and came around to him being a legitimate player), I think Menell has surpassed him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Belpedio is a different sort of player, I think. I don't know for sure, as i haven't seen either enough, but I think he is a better two way defender, and while the same height, is much thicker, and able to play a more physical game. Is also capable of playing LD, even though he is RH. A poster here corrected me on that. Apparently he was relied upon to play a lot of LD in college. I think there is room for both players on the team, if there are any open spots.

I think Addison is the one who has a very similar game to Menell.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I have no idea how good his defensive play is, but his scoring and logging 25 minutes per night(after contracting Covid, no less) while playing in a completely different culture without missing a beat, is impressive. Successful players overcome obstacles(i.e. Spurgeon), unsuccessful ones make excuses.

Do we actually know for a fact Menell had Covid? I know his team has had multiple cases and he missed a stretch of ~10 days in early October, but that could have just been a cautionary quarantine.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Do we actually know for a fact Menell had Covid? I know his team has had multiple cases and he missed a stretch of ~10 days in early October, but that could have just been a cautionary quarantine.
I think it is a safe assumption. Even Russo said on his podcast that some of the overseas guys got Covid but he won't name names. Just look at who missed playing time.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Finished the KHL regular season second in points, and first in PPG by a wide margin, for those who played a significant number of games. Has 1g, 1a in 2gp in the playoffs, where his team is up against a very tough beat in SKA.

From afar, it seemed to be a very good season for him, despite him having to fight through a Covid infection.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tied for playoff lead in scoring among Dmen. 1g, 3a, 4gp. Looks like his team is in tough against SKA(Marat's team), though. He might be available soon.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Tied for playoff lead in scoring among Dmen. 1g, 3a, 4gp. Looks like his team is in tough against SKA(Marat's team), though. He might be available soon.

His performance makes me concerned that even if we find way to protect both Greenway and Dumba, Seattle is going to take him over guys like Soucy/Foligno. He seems like he’s the real deal.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
His performance makes me concerned that even if we find way to protect both Greenway and Dumba, Seattle is going to take him over guys like Soucy/Foligno. He seems like he’s the real deal.

Seattle taking Menell would be a blessing, not a concern.

Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->