Prospect Info: Brennan Menell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Tied for playoff lead in scoring among Dmen. 1g, 3a, 4gp. Looks like his team is in tough against SKA(Marat's team), though. He might be available soon.

Nope. It's passed the deadline for RFA's to sign for the season. He's not available to play for the Wild until next season.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You can't protect more than 4 dmen. Find me a reason why Menell being picked over Brodin, Dumba, Suter, and Spurgeon isn't a blessing.

I'm talking in the hypothetical scenario where Greenway and Dumba are being protected. It'd hurt to lose Menell over someone like Soucy or Foligno. Especially if we're planning on trading Dumba afterwards, which might have to happen regardless with his cap hit. Having both Menell and Addison as cost-controlled RD would be nice if Dumba's gone. It'd be concerning to have $3M stay in Soucy and then have to find another RD in FA.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I'm talking in the hypothetical scenario where Greenway and Dumba are being protected. It'd hurt to lose Menell over someone like Soucy or Foligno. Especially if we're planning on trading Dumba afterwards, which might have to happen regardless with his cap hit. Having both Menell and Addison as cost-controlled RD would be nice if Dumba's gone. It'd be concerning to have $3M stay in Soucy and then have to find another RD in FA.

22 mill in cap space, i dont see how thats a requirement.... we have plenty of entry level deals we can fill in to make everything work. fialas down year is definately helping this as well.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Two more assists in a 2-1 game, allowing them to stave off a loss to SKA. Now has 6 pts. in 4 gp, tied for the lead among Dmen

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
22 mill in cap space, i dont see how thats a requirement.... we have plenty of entry level deals we can fill in to make everything work. fialas down year is definately helping this as well.

Ek + Fiala + Kap are going to get $17-18M between the 3 of them. Kap absolutely has to be a long-term contract and it’d be beneficial to go long-term on Ek + Fiala IMO. I get very concerned signing players to contracts that expire close to their UFA status. There’s also Hartman that would be nice to find a way to bring back.

Looking at the year after. Greenway and Kaapo will need their extensions, which could be problematic if the flat cap is still around.

This is also ignoring the fact that we need center help and the only way that’s gonna happen is trading Dumba’s salary. Which circles back to the issue that we’d be out Dumba + Menell and relying on Addison as our #4 defenseman.

—————

Not saying there aren’t alternative routes to take that could make it work, but it’s a very tricky situation figuring out what’s going to be the best one. I’m just gonna be happy when all this expansion BS is done with. Frustrating as hell that these new teams are getting players that we could only dream of having available back in our ED.

Two more assists in a 2-1 game, allowing them to stave off a loss to SKA. Now has 6 pts. in 4 gp, tied for the lead among Dmen

Really feel like this kid is the obvious choice for Seattle if Greenway + Dumba are protected. Dude has performed at the highest level in every league he’s gotten the opportunity in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ek + Fiala + Kap are going to get $17-18M between the 3 of them. Kap absolutely has to be a long-term contract and it’d be beneficial to go long-term on Ek + Fiala IMO. I get very concerned signing players to contracts that expire close to their UFA status. There’s also Hartman that would be nice to find a way to bring back.

Looking at the year after. Greenway and Kaapo will need their extensions, which could be problematic if the flat cap is still around.

This is also ignoring the fact that we need center help and the only way that’s gonna happen is trading Dumba’s salary. Which circles back to the issue that we’d be out Dumba + Menell and relying on Addison as our #4 defenseman.

—————

Not saying there aren’t alternative routes to take that could make it work, but it’s a very tricky situation figuring out what’s going to be the best one. I’m just gonna be happy when all this expansion BS is done with. Frustrating as hell that these new teams are getting players that we could only dream of having available back in our ED.

Really feel like this kid is the obvious choice for Seattle if Greenway + Dumba are protected. Dude has performed at the highest level in every league he’s gotten the opportunity in.
My only worry is that he is the Defense version of Gerry Mayhew, or a RHD Brad Hunt, but we at least have to take him for a spin, don't we ? I mean, if we paired him/Addison with Brodin, how bad could it get?

Reactions: Spurgeon

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Anybody know what he made in the KHL this year?
Top imports get over a $1,000,000 a year, but I’d be shocked if he got anywhere near that. Minsk is one of the poorest teams and historically, including this season, have had the lowest patrolled teams. They’re total team cap hit is 4.3 Million. The Lokomotiv team had over an 18 million dollar payroll this year, for comparison.

Reactions: Spurgeon

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
ahh, thanks for the info. Can't sign for the AHL, either, then?
Ive read the NHL CBA a number of times, and I cant recall anything in there prohibiting him from signing an AHL deal. I have not read the minor league CBA to see if there was anything there to ptohibit that.

Reactions: 57special

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

—————

Its still doable... its definately not defcon 1 level yet. 23 million roughly in cap space end of the year, not including whoever we lose in the expansion. The year after rask comes off the books, at which point one of our center prospects should be able to come in. and we could ltir parise potentially or even buy him out. 23-24 dumba and soucy are fas. Its definately not a requirement to trade dumba if we take the build from within approach. or get one of Fiala or ek at less than expected.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Menell's team loses 4-3 in OT to lose the series to SKA. He had another assist, giving him 7 pts for the playoffs, tied for the lead among Dmen. Wonder where he goes from here, or is it time to pull out the golf clubs?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If there's nothing stopping him from playing in the AHL, I'd love to see that. Maybe to get back in the organization's "good graces" (if he even needs to).

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Menell's team loses 4-3 in OT to lose the series to SKA. He had another assist, giving him 7 pts for the playoffs, tied for the lead among Dmen. Wonder where he goes from here, or is it time to pull out the golf clubs?

I don't think he has a choice. I know he can't play in the NHL this year, and I would imagine the rule barring him from the NHL would probably also bar him from the AHL, but maybe not?

Either way, he's just in time for the warm weather to hit his home state. Good season, and welcome back, kid!

Aug 25, 2009
éal
He probably does not want to ride the bus after being away from home so long. I guess he will go and enjoy the summer, be ready for camp. Whether it's in Minnesota, Seattle or elsewhere is anybody's guess.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I think it's a safe assumption Menell will be on the roster come opening day 2021-2022.
I wouldn't be so sure. He is being linked with two of the KHL powerhouses that are offering him a deal worth 800K USD guaranteed. Does anyone really see Wild giving him a one-way deal matching such offer?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Dumba is moved, and maybe even if he isn't, Menell will know that there is a spot to be had on MN, and if not with them, he can ask them to trade his rights to another NHL team. 800,000 would likely be the minimum he would sign for. Unless he has fallen in love with playing in The KHL, and thinks he isn't good enough to play in the NHL, I can't see him choosing playing over there.

If he performs well over here, he's looking at paydays far over what he would ever make in the KHL.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I wouldn't be so sure. He is being linked with two of the KHL powerhouses that are offering him a deal worth 800K USD guaranteed. Does anyone really see Wild giving him a one-way deal matching such offer?
800K is pretty much league minimum salary in the NHL. The KHL has zero chance of stealing NHL players based on money

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
800K is pretty much league minimum salary in the NHL. The KHL has zero chance of stealing NHL players based on money
I understand that, but unless Wild offers one-way deal, KHL offer might be hard to refuse because these 800K are guaranteed there.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I understand that, but unless Wild offers one-way deal, KHL offer might be hard to refuse because these 800K are guaranteed there.
Menell is no longer waiver exempt, two-way contract doesn't make much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad