Prospect Info: Brennan Menell

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can't see a 23yo giving up his dream to play in the NHL to play a continent away in the KHL. 7-8 years from now, maybe.

Reactions: TaLoN and MuckOG

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if Guerin and Seattle might work out a side deal, like Menell's RFA rights and a 2nd/ late 1st at the ED? They would probably prefer Dumba if he is available, but if they let it be known that they will trade him before exposing him at the ED?

Is this even something we want to do?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I wonder if Guerin and Seattle might work out a side deal, like Menell's RFA rights and a 2nd/ late 1st at the ED? They would probably prefer Dumba if he is available, but if they let it be known that they will trade him before exposing him at the ED?

IMO, this isn't something we should do. I'm still gun shy after Fletcher gave VGK Alex Tuch so they would take Haula instead of the vets he wanted to protect. I know that many disagree, but we have too much $$ invested in our defense (we can blame the Spurgeon signing for that, but it is what it is). I don't see how Dumba is on the roster come next season....and if we trade him at the entry draft, that means we lose Dumba AND potentially Soucy or Greenway.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

If we can pay them a 2021 1st to take Rask or some other kill-two-birds sort of deal it's probably worth considering, but I'm not holding my breath. We don't really have the leverage to work out something worthwhile.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Not something I want to do. Keep the picks. Let Seattle choose between Dumba, Soucy and Talbot

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

tenor.gif

Reactions: 2Pair

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017

He also posted his write up about him from earlier in the year... he usually only does this when he feels something is close/imminent. I should say used to.. this is probably a pry for more clicks, but have to think if something around Menell happens there could be a shake up in the core 6. If he signs it has to be a 1 way deal right?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
He also posted his write up about him from earlier in the year... he usually only does this when he feels something is close/imminent. I should say used to.. this is probably a pry for more clicks, but have to think if something around Menell happens there could be a shake up in the core 6. If he signs it has to be a 1 way deal right?

Virtually no chance he signs a 2 way deal.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd assume it'll be a 1-way deal. He's got no business playing in Iowa at this point.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Surely this must be a pretty easy negotiation? Maybe Menell is waiting to see who is exposed/taken in the ED first, though, in order to see just how much playing time he would get.
It's one thing if Dumba is traded, and Soucy taken in the ED, and he is #4/5D. Quite another if the only move is Talbot or Greenway are taken in the ED, then he would be fighting Addison, and maybe a guy like Cole, for #7D spot.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Surely this must be a pretty easy negotiation? Maybe Menell is waiting to see who is exposed/taken in the ED first, though, in order to see just how much playing time he would get.
It's one thing if Dumba is traded, and Soucy taken in the ED, and he is #4/5D. Quite another if the only move is Talbot or Greenway are taken in the ED, then he would be fighting Addison, and maybe a guy like Cole, for #7D spot.
I think he'd have a leg up over Addison here. More experience and I doubt the Wild would feel bad about Addison playing top pairing minutes in Iowa for another year.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Well considering he went to the KHL because of this that is what I assumed, but maybe he preferred Iowa over Russia :laugh:
That isn't the reason he went to Russia.

Menell isn’t waiver exempt, so a 2-way contract would be pointless. Menell will spend the year on someone's NHL roster

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Yeah, can't imagine it should be any different than Kahkonen's deal. 2 x $725k one-way.

If Menell doesn't play enough NHL games this season (I'm not sure of the number) he becomes a Group 6 free agent and can sign with whomever he chooses next year. Given that I can't imagine he'd accept a 2 year deal barely over league minimum.

Reactions: Bazeek and 2Pair

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Sign Menell for the NHL next season and give Addison more time to bulk up in Iowa. If Menell works out great. If he does not, Addison should be ready to step in.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
That isn't the reason he went to Russia.

Menell isn’t waiver exempt, so a 2-way contract would be pointless. Menell will spend the year on someone's NHL roster
A big part of the speculation was that he didn't want to play in the AHL/Iowa and was mad about his usage down the stretch in the bubble so that is why he went over, hence why the Wild were so upset with him. The talk was tongue and cheek about Iowa vs Russia, but he was mad he wasn't getting a shot, and probably deserved one.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
A big part of the speculation was that he didn't want to play in the AHL/Iowa and was mad about his usage down the stretch in the bubble so that is why he went over, hence why the Wild were so upset with him. The talk was tongue and cheek about Iowa vs Russia, but he was mad he wasn't getting a shot, and probably deserved one.

Or you could just hear his motivations straight from Mennell himself instead of speculating.

“With COVID, honestly, in my opinion, I didn’t think that the AHL was actually even going to happen,” Menell said. “And looking at it, with seven defensemen on one-way contracts, and they’ve got a pretty good top-four, probably one of the best in the league, I didn’t really think that I was going to be able to get the chance to play as much as I wanted.
“I didn’t want to have a situation where I would not be able to play in the AHL either. I looked at it as I have a chance to play right now, and I started playing in late August, and get some experience and go to a place that I know for sure I’d be able to keep improving. I was thinking, ‘What if I don’t get to play?’ And even with the taxi squad, it is tough sometimes when you don’t get to play and you just practice.”

He was worried the merry go round of the pandemic offseason was going to leave him without a place to play. And he's probably not wrong. Had he signed here, he was likely playing a handful of the 8 games played between Mermis/Addison/Bartowski/Belpedio and sitting on the taxi squad the rest of the time (or picked up on waivers and shuffled around the league similiar to what happened to a handful of other taxi squad players).

Reactions: 57special
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->