Confirmed with Link: Brendan Lemieux Traded to LA for a 4th

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Also, having Lemieux on the team didn't stop Konecny from slew-footing Zibanejad not even 24 hours ago. This notion that having Lemieux on the team will deter opponents from "going after our stars" is just not true.

If you're being honest the Flyers didn't target Mika physically at all during the play.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
:confused:

Hollweg was a complete disaster. For every crunching hit, he took an insanely stupid penalty and got his ass kicked in a fight.

I was happy with Lemieux for a while but now he just takes stupid penalties and loses fights too.
How that guy completed his career without paralyzing someone will down as one of life’s big mysteries

Reactions: Cmox and leetch99

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think Lemieux will get a wake up call and return to his physical self. He hasn’t been playing well but I think he’s the perfect 4th liner when firing.
he's been that player roughly 20% of his Rangers career.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I had hoped that he was a smarter hockey player, i still think he had a place on the team but given his pedigree i had hoped he would grow into a better player than he has, i guess this is just what he is and that's fine but i do believe they were looking ahead to the next contact with Dad and saying no thanks. I noticed they moved Geertsen up front in Hartford so maybe they have the replacement anyway
I think Geersten is a punching bag albeit a bit bigger one . Lemieux was up against it...had to fight out of his weightclass every game and nobody ever had his back . I hope he can find a spot in LA . At least it is warmer LOL....Not sure now who takes retribution on McLeod the slew footer from NJ next game ...probably nobody .

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
The string of comments regarding soon to be 26-y-o, never played a game in the NHL Mason Geertson in the wake of a trade to free up roster/cap space due to a glut of qualified forwards reveals more about posters’ desperation to have some outlet for their baser emotions while watching a game than their ability to analyze the construction of a roster...
So true.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Mentioned in the GDT, Lemieux vs. Hathaway. Who would you rather have? Both make the same amount of money. If Hathaway is good enough for Washington's 4th line, how is Lemieux not good enough for ours?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What do you think happened with Howden? He started off the season pretty well. I know he has more in him. Where did his playmaking go? And does he have less skill than he did in juniors? Is that even possible?

It just really hasn’t translated. I think he’s carved out a niche as a PK option, but it’s come at the cost of the offense he showed earlier. If he puts those two things together, you have something that could be a bit more.

Like others, I think he potentially could’ve used more time in the AHL, but I don’t know how much it would’ve changed the outcome in the NHL. It shows just how difficult it can be to translate skill sets to the highest levels.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mentioned in the GDT, Lemieux vs. Hathaway. Who would you rather have? Both make the same amount of money. If Hathaway is good enough for Washington's 4th line, how is Lemieux not good enough for ours?
When was the last time you saw Lemieux throw a check like Hathaway?

I think the problem here (and I am as guilty as the next guy) is that’s we all love the idea of Lemieux. But the on-ice performance is not there. Did he fight? Sure. Was he really a physical presence? No. Did he take the fight to the other team? No. Did he play with a physical edge? No.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Assuming the deal was made to clear a roster spot for Kravtsov.

Lemieux had a down season. He was more proactive then reactive. As the club leans in on a playoff birth his presence is going to be missed. He was the most physical asset on a club that lacks a physical presence. Again though, he wasn’t have a good season. I’m going to miss the guy and I hope he does well in LA.

Maybe Gaertson time? Maybe someone else incoming?

Playoff Hockey = Heavy Game

Rangers aren’t very equipped for a heavy game right now. I think that will be addressed.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
When was the last time you saw Lemieux throw a check like Hathaway?

I think the problem here (and I am as guilty as the next guy) is that’s we all love the idea of Lemieux. But the on-ice performance is not there. Did he fight? Sure. Was he really a physical presence? No. Did he take the fight to the other team? No. Did he play with a physical edge? No.

Did you watch the game yesterday? He had a few. Part of the problem is he was pretty much our only physical forward, there isn't anyone else to compliment him. Washington has physical players up and down the lineup that can wear you out.

If we want to play men's beer league no hitting, our team would be very successful.

Reactions: DekeR

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Did you watch the game yesterday? He had a few. Part of the problem is he was pretty much our only physical forward, there isn't anyone else to compliment him. Washington has physical players up and down the lineup that can wear you out.

If we want to play men's beer league no hitting, our team would be very successful.
I did watch it. And the next physical act they Lemieux does will be the first.

Why are we comparing the Rangers to the Caps? That is germane to what conversation?

The team need more attitude and sandpaper. That is what Gorton & JD are building. This will be addressed, if that I am sure of. The only problem will be how people react to the method of how it will be addressed

Reactions: kovazub94

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Because Hathaway is a better player than Lemieux

Reactions: leetch99

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Have been unhappy with BLs play as of late. Just was talking a bout it yesterday. He’s been taking some really untimely penalties. I’m not sure you’ll lose much with him out of the lineup.

However this is a little bit of a head scratcher to me. 4th isn’t great value and you are losing an expansion draftee. If you didn’t want him live with him for 20+ games and then expose him.

Maybe they are looking at cap ramifications for next season and team structure with forwards like Kravy and Barron needing space and they felt they had to clear him out.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Everyone would probably appreciate you place a :sarcasm:, at the end of that sentence. Unless.......you were serious.

I am serious in one way, Howden will be a non arbitration eligible RFA, his qualifier will be like ~875K, I don't see the reason why the Rangers don't end up with him signed to that or even a little more this off-season.

Then it will come down to who coaching picks to make the team, and Howden can PK, whether good at it or not, plus the coach being familiar with him gives him a pretty good chance to make the roster again next year.

The next issue I see, Tanner Glass for example was costing ~2.1% against the cap at the time when he was with the Rangers, he produced a total of 19 pts including in the playoffs for the Rangers in a total of 141 games.

And they had Lemieux at ~1.9% of the current cap who produced 31 pts in 110 games, yet here we are with people who defended the Rangers keeping and using Glass in those years who are peeing on what Lemieux has done as a Ranger.

Disclaimer: I disliked Glass the player, not the person, and did not understand the push back I and others would get from voicing any displeasure of the Rangers signing and using him. Nor do I really care about the loss of Lemieux, it's going to be the next move they make to add toughness to the roster which I believe will not make any sense, yet will likely be defended as a good idea after the Rangers do it.

Reactions: Larrybiv

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
The physical presence with Lemieux has always been a myth to me.

I’ll give the guy props, he doesn’t back down from anyone. A few of the guys he dropped the gloves with the past two seasons were a lot bigger than him.

But he was a very ineffective hitter. Grit/toughness have nothing to do with your ability to land a check. It’s an art form in an of itself.

Watch a guy like Jesper Fast throw a check. Not only is it effective in causing turnovers, but the impact is harder than any hit Lemieux throws.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Pretty "whatever" transaction. I liked the idea of Lemieux more than I actually liked Lemieux the player.

Two years ago I had hopes he could be an Avery-like middle sixer with an edge. For whatever reason that didn't happen. He was not as skilled with the puck as I hoped.

Basically there wasn't a path here for him to be more than a 4th liner. And Rooney has been much more effective and valuable in that regard.

Move a contract and a body to open up space - sounds good.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We all knew this was a transition year. That means some of these depth guys who get surpassed we’re going to get moved. I had high hopes for Lemieux because he played a unique style for this organizationbutirnsver really developed consistently enough. A 4th is fine considering he has another year on his deal.

I get the sense that Gorton and his team recognize they are deficient in that area and will find a way to bring some of that back at some point. The remainder of this season will be more about determining who is in the long term plans.

Howden should be next. Rooney, Digi and Blackwell have outplayed both Howden and Lemieux all season and make next to nothing. The next 2-3 years will see higher quality depth guys going cheap due to the flat cap so I’m less concerned with finding good 4th line guys than developing the young guys like Barron and Kravtsov

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I had high hopes for Lemieux when he was traded here but, he couldn't even establish himself as a good pest, let alone a physical deterrent of any form. His production was also almost nonexistent. I'm not really disappointed by the trade since I get why it was made. I am disappointed that Lemieux did not progress at all while he was with the Rangers and that is why he was traded. He had the ability to be something unique.

Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad