Confirmed with Link: Brendan Lemieux Traded to LA for a 4th

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
How did the Rangers prevent him playing like he wants to?
Okay, poor wording. They actually didn't "prevent him", Just have a feeling that he was told many times to tow the line and not hurt the team with unnecessary penalties due to his "nature'. He has accumulated a bad rep with the refs and has literally gotten abused by opposing players with little being called. In a damned if he does, damned if he doesnt situation, just probably better off he is gone, for his sake.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The Rangers aren't softer after the Lemieux trade. He barely impacted the team the way he played
Not gonna argue with you. He was <what we needed from him.
Some skill needed to be sprinkled into his play. Others can easily fill his spot, especially from a talent perspective. If he could have provided 8-12 goals, I am pretty sure that would have sufficed. Not fare to compare, but just look what Csinkas, Clutterbuck and Martin/Pageau provide on their 4th. #envious.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Okay, poor wording. They actually didn't "prevent him", Just have a feeling that he was told many times to tow the line and not hurt the team with unnecessary penalties due to his "nature'. He has accumulated a bad rep with the refs and has literally gotten abused by opposing players with little being called. In a damned if he does, damned if he doesnt situation, just probably better off he is gone, for his sake.

Not sure how that's on coaching/management. That's on BL.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'd like the Rangers to bring a physical element to the game, and a North-South balance to the approach.

Having said that, I just don't know if Lemieux impacts either of those two areas enough to keep him with Kravtsov and potentially Barron on the horizon.

Our fourth line in a month very well could be Barron-Rooney-Gauthier.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
The mental gymnastics going on in this thread are too much. Potentially replacing Lemieux with Kravtsov and ppl saying we aren't softer.

For me it's not the idea of 1 player providing all the physicality or all the toughness, we need a collection of these players to compliment each other. JD said we want to be a harder team to play against.

You have Schneider, Cuylle, Lindgren, Lemieux, Trouba, Miller maybe some others to compliment the high end talent we should have on the top 2 lines and you have an interesting mix of skill and harder to play against.

We could add Tom Wilson tomorrow and we still wouldn't be a physical team so to that point losing Lemieux doesn't change by himself but he could have been a piece of that puzzle, he is still young.

I know the expansion draft throws some hiccups into the equation so I understand if that is the reason, but a little annoyed with ppl trashing Lemieux when he played his heart out for this team and was willing to fight anyone.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
I'd like the Rangers to bring a physical element to the game, and a North-South balance to the approach.

Having said that, I just don't know if Lemieux impacts either of those two areas enough to keep him with Kravtsov and potentially Barron on the horizon.

That is the right result. I would expect that Blackwell and PDG will play over Barron and Gauthier on most nights

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
The mental gymnastics going on in this thread are too much. Potentially replacing Lemieux with Kravtsov and ppl saying we aren't softer.

For me it's not the idea of 1 player providing all the physicality or all the toughness, we need a collection of these players to compliment each other. JD said we want to be a harder team to play against.

You have Schneider, Cuylle, Lindgren, Lemieux, Trouba, Miller maybe some others to compliment the high end talent we should have on the top 2 lines and you have an interesting mix of skill and harder to play against.

We could add Tom Wilson tomorrow and we still wouldn't be a physical team so to that point losing Lemieux doesn't change by himself but he could have been a piece of that puzzle, he is still young.

I know the expansion draft throws some hiccups into the equation so I understand if that is the reason, but a little annoyed with ppl trashing Lemieux when he played his heart out for this team and was willing to fight anyone.
Lemieux is getting trashed because he played dumb and was ineffective with the puck on his stick. His effort is not being questioned. However, he is a bad hockey player with toughness. To contend, we cannot carry such players. We need to find toughness within players that can actually play.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

If that is the 4th line, I am more okay with this trade, even if it's some combo of them, Blackwell, or dare I say Howden

Yet I can't shake the feeling they will need to have some sort of guy who fights somewhere within their forward lines.

Maybe not this season, but it seems like every off-season the addition of that element creeps back onto their must have list.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If that is the 4th line, I am more okay with this trade, even if it's some combo of them, Blackwell, or dare I say Howden

Yet I can't shake the feeling they will need to have some sort of guy who fights somewhere within their forward lines.

Maybe not this season, but it seems like every off-season the addition of that element creeps back onto their must have list.

I would say they have to be a more difficult team to play against - in general. They have to have that bug up their ass that they aren't going to be pushed over. Does that mean having a guy who fights? Eh, I have some doubts there.

But I do think long-term you have some aggressive players in the system with the likes of Cuylle and Schneider, if that's what more along the lines of what some are hoping for.

But at the end of the day, if Lemieux had evolved into that 15 goal/30 point, PITA everyone hoped he'd become, this thread likely doesn't exist.

So moving on from Lemieux doesn't inherently mean they wouldn't love to find a guy who brings what they were hoping Lemieux would.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I would say they have to be a more difficult team to play against - in general. They have to have that bug up their ass that they aren't going to be pushed over. Does that mean having a guy who fights? Eh, I have some doubts there.

But I do think long-term you have some aggressive players in the system with the likes of Cuylle and Schneider, if that's what more along the lines of what some are hoping for.

But at the end of the day, if Lemieux had evolved into that 15 goal/30 point, PITA everyone hoped he'd become, this thread likely doesn't exist.

So moving on from Lemieux doesn't inherently mean they wouldn't love to find a guy who brings what they were hoping Lemieux would.

Right, that last sentence though is where my angst comes into play.

I don't care that they traded Lemieux, I worry about what they replace "what they were hoping they were getting from him" with.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
He can be a heart and soul type player that makes the team better AND not be worth his cap hit/roster spot at the same time. Those are not mutually exclusive. I liked Lemieux but in a flat cap situation with young players knocking on the door for roster spots, something has to give. This is an asset management move that makes sense contextually.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I liked the kid but it’s not a big loss. I did figure we would get at least a 3rd but no big deal

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Traded away for a 20% shot of drafting a NHL player.

The club valued getting rid of the contract more than they did the return.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
He missed so many simple plays to clear the zone going for the high risk pass to spring offense, sometimes twice on one shift. He always wanted a 'possession' exit, which is great when it's available but need to chip it out when it's not. Other times he'd be too far behind the play in the D zone puck-watching instead of getting into position to receive an outlet pass and the puck would be passed to where he should have been, but the opposition would be in a better spot to receive the puck. He never really learned his lessons from it and it was a problem. His balance and agility were also way too weak with the puck and he was useless on board play because of it. Sure, give him some time and space and he can do stuff, but so can anyone at this level.

He was a less crazy and more skilled version of Ryan Hollweg, which sounds nice but he hasn't been able to put it together yet to find consistent success at the top level.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Larry says he requested a trade so he could get an opportunity to play more

This guy listens to his father a bit too much.

Newsflash dude, you’re not your dad. You’re a 4th liner, and not much more

Reactions: nyrleetch

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
0E0D3065-A09E-425D-A01E-9172544163D7.jpeg

People lost their minds over a dime a dozen 4th liner who it ends up REQUESTED to leave. Lol

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Bye Felicia...he wanted out, but was purportedly this great locker room/team guy.

didn't play his role well or seemingly work hard to make himself better. now i really wont' miss him.

Reactions: Brief Candle

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
View attachment 416046

People lost their minds over a dime a dozen 4th liner who it ends up REQUESTED to leave. Lol
The organization has always been very good about accommodating players who quietly ask for a trade. I'm sure they could have gotten a 3rd from someone from him if they were running an auction, but that 4th they got is going to be high in the round, and it puts Lemieux in a decent enough situation to earn a larger role.

Lemieux saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't going to be able to earn more icetime, so he asked for a trade. He still played hard, and didn't show any outward signs of sulking. I wish him the best.

With that being said, Lemieux just never really developed, and maybe even regressed from the player he was when we traded for him. Whether Quinn neutered his play style, or he just doesn't have another level to reach, remains to be seen. I don't think the team is going to miss him all that much. His brand of physicality consisted almost exclusively of post-whistle scrums and dropping the gloves, neither of which really helped the team win. He has the foot speed to run around and punish people like Tom Wilson does (to a lesser extent, obviously). But for some reason, he never does. Then again, no one on the team finishes their checks, which is maddening to watch. So, maybe it really is a Quinn thing.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I was glad when he came, but , aside from the Montreal comback game,
did he have any other memorable NYR moments ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->