Confirmed with Link: Brendan Lemieux Traded to LA for a 4th

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
It just really hasn’t translated. I think he’s carved out a niche as a PK option, but it’s come at the cost of the offense he showed earlier. If he puts those two things together, you have something that could be a bit more.

Like others, I think he potentially could’ve used more time in the AHL, but I don’t know how much it would’ve changed the outcome in the NHL. It shows just how difficult it can be to translate skill sets to the highest levels.
Yea that pretty much sums it up. Thank you.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
The string of comments regarding soon to be 26-y-o, never played a game in the NHL Mason Geertson in the wake of a trade to free up roster/cap space due to a glut of qualified forwards reveals more about posters’ desperation to have some outlet for their baser emotions while watching a game than their ability to analyze the construction of a roster...

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Over the last two weeks, Lemieux has been on the ice for a lot of important goals. Against.

AMFYOYO

And if there was ever a draft where I’m comfortable having a handful of lottery tickets, it’s this draft. There will be a lot of uneven player evaluation this year due to the compressed schedules. The Rangers have a punchers chance to find a couple of gems in the third and fourth round.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Over the last two weeks, Lemieux has been on the ice for a lot of important goals. Against.

AMFYOYO

And if there was ever a draft where I’m comfortable having a handful of lottery tickets, it’s this draft. There will be a lot of uneven player evaluation this year due to the compressed schedules. The Rangers have a punchers chance to find a couple of gems in the third and fourth round.

Bingo. Major market teams with large (and expensive) scouting teams have a LARGE leg-up with this draft.

Bonus is the Kings 4th will be very high in the round.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Great players will thrive in most environments as bad players will fail. The players who benefit most from good coaching and good structural systems are those in the middle.
Looking at you David (Wally Pipp) Quinn.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Assuming the deal was made to clear a roster spot for Kravtsov.

Lemieux had a down season. He was more proactive then reactive. As the club leans in on a playoff birth his presence is going to be missed. He was the most physical asset on a club that lacks a physical presence. Again though, he wasn’t have a good season. I’m going to miss the guy and I hope he does well in LA.

Maybe Gaertson time? Maybe someone else incoming?

Playoff Hockey = Heavy Game

Rangers aren’t very equipped for a heavy game right now. I think that will be addressed.

Down season? When did he ever have up season?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Did you watch the game yesterday? He had a few. Part of the problem is he was pretty much our only physical forward, there isn't anyone else to compliment him. Washington has physical players up and down the lineup that can wear you out.

If we want to play men's beer league no hitting, our team would be very successful.

PDG is more physical and with his speed doesn’t take himself out of play to throw one.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Bingo. Major market teams with large (and expensive) scouting teams have a LARGE leg-up with this draft.

Bonus is the Kings 4th will be very high in the round.

Ryan Callahan was a 4th round pick. You can get some good players in the 4th if you scout correctly. Shesterkin was a 4th as well.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Someone here asked if Tony DeAngelo was tight with Brendan Lemieux.

This should answer that question.

Screenshot_20210328-155852_Instagram.jpg

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
besides the obvious of making room for Kravtsov, Brendan really didn't show much in terms of skill just definitely a 4th rounder with some penchant for hitting but also adding some of the most stupid of penalties in inopportune times. Wasn't a standup guy with the refs and often lost some of those questionable calls going against him, just because. Being an agitator you want to end up on the positive side of the ledger and that didn't happen with Lemieux very often. It's obvious that we are not finished with the rebuild by a long shot yet, as we accumulate more and more draft picks. Young players in the system to replace older ones as we fight against the cap in the 3-4 yrs down the road. Whats not to like.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I enjoyed watching him especially when he first came over. Loved his snarl in the net scrums.

He did tail off since then but I would have preferred to keep him for now due to the fact that he does seem to stand up for his teammates and gives us a bit of an edge some nights.
Hope they have a plan regarding this. Even Keith Jones mentioned Rangers getting softer and easier to play against.
Needing the spot for Kravtsov is one thing, but shouldnt be "we'll figure out later who will fill that void". He seemed to draw alot of penalties in his miniscule PT, but guess Gorton figured that "void" isnt really that large or difficult to replace.

If we somehow make the PO's, that may be a move they will live to regret. Bet he does well in L.A. (if they allow him to play the way he would like to) we will see. I know, I am very curious on how this plays out, will give me a reason to watch a Kings team that is very surprising.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I am serious in one way, Howden will be a non arbitration eligible RFA, his qualifier will be like ~875K, I don't see the reason why the Rangers don't end up with him signed to that or even a little more this off-season.

Then it will come down to who coaching picks to make the team, and Howden can PK, whether good at it or not, plus the coach being familiar with him gives him a pretty good chance to make the roster again next year.

The next issue I see, Tanner Glass for example was costing ~2.1% against the cap at the time when he was with the Rangers, he produced a total of 19 pts including in the playoffs for the Rangers in a total of 141 games.

And they had Lemieux at ~1.9% of the current cap who produced 31 pts in 110 games, yet here we are with people who defended the Rangers keeping and using Glass in those years who are peeing on what Lemieux has done as a Ranger.

Disclaimer: I disliked Glass the player, not the person, and did not understand the push back I and others would get from voicing any displeasure of the Rangers signing and using him. Nor do I really care about the loss of Lemieux, it's going to be the next move they make to add toughness to the roster which I believe will not make any sense, yet will likely be defended as a good idea after the Rangers do it.
And I suppose neither do I, regardless that I defend him. I am thinking each and every one of us, were "happy with his acquisition", but slowly became disenchanted as we all wanted more value, bang for the buck. Doesnt make a whole lot, like you mentioned, maybe we all were just disappointed that he didnt get better and actually produce from time to time.
If I remember correctly, he had had a 3 or 4 goal outburst in like 4or 5 games last year. A little bit more like that would have been outstanding. Oh well.
P.S. Sorry HF, if I put words in your mouth.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

Rangers currently have 2 3rds (theirs and buffalo) and 3 4ths (theirs, LA, Ottawa). They currently do not have a 2nd.

Those picks could be used as ammo to move down into the 2nd if they see someone they like dropping.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hope they have a plan regarding this. Even Keith Jones mentioned Rangers getting softer and easier to play against.
Needing the spot for Kravtsov is one thing, but shouldnt be "we'll figure out later who will fill that void". He seemed to draw alot of penalties in his miniscule PT, but guess Gorton figured that "void" isnt really that large or difficult to replace.

If we somehow make the PO's, that may be a move they will live to regret. Bet he does well in L.A. (if they allow him to play the way he would like to) we will see. I know, I am very curious on how this plays out, will give me a reason to watch a Kings team that is very surprising.
Or maybe Gorton noticed that the idea of a Lemieux was much better than the real deal. Lemieux was not really playing physically. He was not really agitating the other team.

Yes, the team needs more attitude and physical play, but Lemieux was imply not providing it. As Gorton has spoken about this for a while, I believe that making the team tougher to play against will be handled both organically through the draft as well as in asset acquisition. But the possible returns in a a trade will probably not match the offensive points given up.

Reactions: Barnaby and ponzu4u
Feb 27, 2002
NYC

How did the Rangers prevent him playing like he wants to?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The Rangers aren't softer after the Lemieux trade. He barely impacted the team the way he played

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Like many, I had high hopes that he'd deliver on what was seen as his promise
BUT, as a Ranger, he never actually became any of a deterrent, a physical presence, or a distracting agitator.
He never earned a full-time job at W
For me, the only enduring memory from his 2 year tenure was the Montreal comeback game.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It's not like Lemieux is a great loss, but I also question the timing of this, with an upcoming draft and all that. A 4th round pick is nothing to write home about. This must be a lateral move to make room for another player, like you're on to in here.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They're not softer nor are they harder to play against. The idea of Brendan Lemieux and what he should be was never consistently matched by what he actually was.

Exactly. If he was the player some people paint him to be, I'd have no problem with him being on the team. But he isn't good at what are considered the assets that make him valuable, if that makes sense.

At some point, the bad outweigh the good and a team moves on. A 4th round pick is a nice return.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad