Confirmed with Link: Brendan Lemieux Traded to LA for a 4th

Leetch94

Oct 3, 2019
When did toughness become a four letter word that requires an apology every time its advocated for ? Anyway every team needs a Lemmy-like guy on the fourth line, hope they find one.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Makes no sense to me. Why not keep him to expose him to Seattle at least?
Maybe he was a cancer as well. Maybe he threatened Shesty for allowing that 2nd goal. SMH, he kind of spiraled downward here, but we obviously wanna be a "soft, easy to play against team.

Watch, Smith will be gone next.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
When did toughness become a four letter word that requires an apology every time its advocated for ? Anyway every team needs a Lemmy-like guy on the fourth line, hope they find one.

Adding toughness to your game is one thing, but when it is your defining asset, you aren't going to last long in the NHL

And Lemieux wasn't even bringing that toughness as much as some people claim. At the end of the day, the bad started to outweigh the good and he was pushed out of the line up by better players. If DiGiuseppe and Howden weren't on the COVID list right now, I doubt he would have been in the line-up these last few games.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I had hoped that he was a smarter hockey player, i still think he had a place on the team but given his pedigree i had hoped he would grow into a better player than he has, i guess this is just what he is and that's fine but i do believe they were looking ahead to the next contact with Dad and saying no thanks. I noticed they moved Geertsen up front in Hartford so maybe they have the replacement anyway

Reactions: leetch99

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
like 30 teams would easily give up a 3rd for him.
Cap space is at a premium, and if they wanted him gone "in addition" to taking it off, well then that is what it is.
I liked him and felt this team needed him and his feistiness. But apparently Quinn cut his balls off, and the rest of his game wasn't suffice. Good luck dude, you'll LOVE L.A.!

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
If Lemieux was as important as some fans think he is, the return would have been more than a 4th round pick. He's no Blake Coleman or even Barclay Goodrow

Why would another team want him then? All of these posters saying is overpaid and useless. Why would the LA Kings pay him this salary and trade an asset for him. Also the same LA Kings who pushed us around in 2014, I'll never get over that series.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
that's why i think perhaps the lemieux camp was welcoming a move. Gorton didn't have to do this.
Absolutely! Lets look at it from his career standpoint. He probably KNOWS Quinn was castrating him and wasnt advancing his career. True, most is on him, but a new start in yet another town with possibly more opportunity to do what he does best. We will have to play him eventually. Hmmmm.

Reactions: Tob

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Why would another team want him then? All of these posters saying is overpaid and useless. Why would the LA Kings pay him this salary and trade an asset for him. Also the same LA Kings who pushed us around in 2014, I'll never get over that series.

They also gave us a 2nd round pick for Lias ;)

Reactions: Sayba

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Maybe Cuylle in Hartford made Lemmy even more expendable.

Yes in a few years hopefully. We will probably have the same ppl here trash him when he eventually plays because he isn't "skilled" enough either. Unless you're Tom Wilson this board has no room for you, we would rather have offensive prospects and AAAA players on the 4th line.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
They do this and then don't play Kravtsov they're morons. PDG will play tomorrow. Howden, too. Don't expect them to make smart decisions.

If you take Kravtsov out of equation then you’d see that the Rangers were fine with keeping Lemieux as far as the lineup and cap issues go. Enters Kravtsov and we see Lemieux being traded which was noted as mainly to get cap relief and open roster spot. To me this looks like a move to get Kravtsov into the lineup.

Reactions: Peltz

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Yes in a few years hopefully. We will probably have the same ppl here trash him when he eventually plays because he isn't "skilled" enough either. Unless you're Tom Wilson this board has no room for you, we would rather have offensive prospects and AAAA players on the 4th line.

Eliteprospects summary sells Cuylle's shot and reads very nicely:

Cuylle is one of the most naturally gifted one-touch scorers in this year's draft. Put the puck on his stick, and he'll do the rest. Cuylle is a technically gifted shooter.

William Cuylle at eliteprospects.com

Not gonna comment on your overrreaction.

Reactions: egelband

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

Great because Lemieux wasn't good enough to play on that team. Not the least of which is the Rangers could have and should have won a few more games and maybe the series if it wasn't for turtling for the last half of 3 games. AV sucks....

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Get these before they're swept up by irony collectors:

tony-lem_a47054e2-19bb-45bf-8d5e-ef9d842f465f_1600x.jpg

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I feel like Lemieux still has that “could be” element for some. Because of that, there’s potentially a tendency to view him as “more than” what he is.

There’s part of me that gets that. But if I’m being honest, Lemieux has always been one of those sum is less than the parts type players for me - even going back to the OHL.

This is why Kings got it. From their perspective they could risk a 4th rounder on a chance that maybe Lemieux still has upside that’s been talked about since before and in early days of his NHL career. The Rangers had a roster / cap issue and, simply put, have seen enough to make a determination for themselves.

It was said before, Lemieux was the least effective in what he was supposed to bring to the 4th line compared to other options.
He wasn’t a center like Rooney and Howden, he couldn’t provide a spell for higher lineup spot if needed like Blackwell and PDG who also could bring a bit of a scoring touch or size and speed, respectively, and he was way less talented than Gauthier.
With Kravtsov arrival all these 5 guys (and maybe Barron soon too) were essentially competing for only 3 spots and cap-wise it would be just too prohibitive to keep them all going forward.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The string of comments regarding soon to be 26-y-o, never played a game in the NHL Mason Geertson in the wake of a trade to free up roster/cap space due to a glut of qualified forwards reveals more about posters’ desperation to have some outlet for their baser emotions while watching a game than their ability to analyze the construction of a roster...

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Clearly a $ move as he’s worth a lot more than a 4th

Would I be wrong in thinking this is only part I of more moves?

He’s not worth more. The potential upside trading partners would pay premium for in the past is largely gone given his age now.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’d bet Howden has less value than Lemieux. Maybe a bit more upside but I can’t see the Rangers getting any value back there. Smith might have value for a contender. He is kind of a playoff-type player.

But, thinking it over, can the Rangers even trade Smith? We’d be all out of Brendans. Is a Brandon-free roster even compliant? Could we call up Brandon Crawley? So many deadline questions.

Howden is a center, plays PK (and probably a bit better at it than Lemieux because of skating). I think his trade value would be at least that of Lemieux.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Eliteprospects summary sells Cuylle's shot and reads very nicely:

William Cuylle at eliteprospects.com

Not gonna comment on your overrreaction.

Also they are somewhat comparable players is my point. Both 2nd round picks, physical ECT. Lemieux actually has better offensive numbers in the CHL. So let's not expect Cuylle to be our Tom Wilson. I can see people making the same arguments here about Lemieux about Cuylle was my point.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Lemieux was advertised as an Avery type when he was acquired, but he ended up being more similar to a run of the mill 4th liner like Hollweg. The Rangers can find players like him for less than $1.55 mil.

Hollweg got more done on the ice than Lemieux. It was a different era though, I suppose.

Lemieux had more skill but didn’t do anything with it other than miss golden opportunity after golden opportunity.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad