Braydon Coburn

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Coburn has 1 year left on his deal after this year and by the time he finishes it will be 31. He is still very mobile and still our best dman at defending the blue line and retrieving pucks from the corner. He is also our best choice to defend some of the better power forwards in the game such as malkin and ovi.

The problem is this. He will want Macdonald money and maybe similar term and that is gonna bite us in the you know what. As painful as it may be to part with him, now is the time to do so and a team that has been interested in him for a long time just got the perfect asset for him.

So would you trade coburn for pittsburgh's 1st?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would at the deadline if we are realistically eliminated from contention and there were no better offers. Montreal and LA are other teams that might be interested in Coburn.

But getting that pick from the Oilers would make cheering against Pitt in the playoffs even more fun than usual.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Coburn has 1 year left on his deal after this year and by the time he finishes it will be 31. He is still very mobile and still our best dman at defending the blue line and retrieving pucks from the corner. He is also our best choice to defend some of the better power forwards in the game such as malkin and ovi.

The problem is this. He will want Macdonald money and maybe similar term and that is gonna bite us in the you know what. As painful as it may be to part with him, now is the time to do so and a team that has been interested in him for a long time just got the perfect asset for him.

So would you trade coburn for pittsburgh's 1st?

Pittsburgh already traded their 1st, along with Klinkhammer, to Edmonton for David Perron.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He's suggesting that the Oilers would give us Pittsburgh's first for Coburn, not Pittsburgh themselves.

right. The oilers have expressed interest in him but haven't been able to work out a deal with the flyers because they have drafted too high. A late first is the perfect asking price for coburn imo and is something both teams could consider.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think Hextall will trade Coburn and I don't think he should unless somebody is willing to overpay which is a possibility. Having said this ...with the right mix of players on D Coburn would be an integral asset on any team including ours and I would not be averse to McDonald money for what he can bring to the table. Coburn is no McDonald..yeah he has his flaws but McDonald is definitely overpaid for what he brings...

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Trade him. He might get 6 or more as an UFA. He is fine as second fiddle to a true No. 1 and horrible in his current roll.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
They could easily get a 1st for him. Probably our most valuable trade block piece. Unless Simmonds is on the block too.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
They could easily get a 1st for him. Probably our most valuable trade block piece. Unless Simmonds is on the block too.

Streit might have good value too, if someone's PPQB goes down before the deadline....

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Why would Edmonton trade for an older defensemen who only has a year remaining, and likely won't re-sign there, for a 1st? They wouldn't, it makes no sense. Also, the last thing they want to do is get better at the end of this year and somehow move out of last place and risk getting neither McDavid nor Eichel. They're tanking just as hard as Buffalo, the difference is that they didn't have to trade away players to do it.

If we're trading Coburn for a 1st it's going to be to a playoff team.

fauxflex

Sep 5, 2009
Coburn is overrated. His offensive game has regressed over the years and his overall play is very inconsistent. Coburn skates well and has size, but man, he seems to make less good use of those tools as each season goes by. Many like him because he's the longest tenured Flyer and a good guy and he's "big and mobile", but the reality is the player has pretty much regressed from his first couple of years here where he looked to have all the makings of a legit two way-guy who could play solid D while producing 40 points (give or take) or so. He was more featured in the offense and got some pp time. Nowadays the offense has dried up and his defensive inconsistencies get exposed more often.

Knowing nothing about their prior years, if one looked to objectively compare Grossmann and Coburn this season, once could make a pretty strong case that Grossmann has been the superior player (and a better value at his cap hit). Yet the perception by many seems to be Grossmann is overrated, overpaid and expendable while Coburn is the better player. I'd like to see the Flyers capitalize on that perception and entertain offers and try to get a 1st rounder for him before his new deal makes him even more overpaid.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Coburn is overrated. His offensive game has regressed over the years and his overall play is very inconsistent. Coburn skates well and has size, but man, he seems to make less good use of those tools as each season goes by. Many like him because he's the longest tenured Flyer and a good guy and he's "big and mobile", but the reality is the player has pretty much regressed from his first couple of years here where he looked to have all the makings of a legit two way-guy who could play solid D while producing 40 points (give or take) or so. He was more featured in the offense and got some pp time. Nowadays the offense has dried up and his defensive inconsistencies get exposed more often.

Knowing nothing about their prior years, if one looked to objectively compare Grossmann and Coburn this season, once could make a pretty strong case that Grossmann has been the superior player (and a better value at his cap hit). Yet the perception by many seems to be Grossmann is overrated, overpaid and expendable while Coburn is the better player. I'd like to see the Flyers capitalize on that perception and entertain offers and try to get a 1st rounder for him before his new deal makes him even more overpaid.

That doesn't add up and actually shows that he's being underrated. He was bad for the first few games since he came back from injury, but since then he's been much better.

You could make a case that Grossmann's been the better player, just like I could make a case that the sun is cold. The problem is that we'd both be wrong. Coburn's at least as good defensively and he's miles and miles ahead in both skating and passing. The reason he could be moved is because he's going to want a lot for his next contract and his our most valuable non-core piece. Getting a pick instead of overpaying for an aging defensemen is a good thing, especially because we need to make room for prospects. Definitely want to get rid of Grossmann, but that's because he's just plain bad and not worth much.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Not sure there's any evidence to back this.

Johhny Boychuk = 2x 2nds and a conditional 3rd. (and everyone knew Boston were up the proverbial **** creek and had to shed cap.)

Brad Stuart = 1x 2nd & 1x 6th.

Josh Gorges = 1x 2nd.

Jason Garrison & scraps = 1x 2nd.

Andrew MacDonald = 1x 2nd & 1x 3rd.

Andrej Sekera = 1x 2nd & McBain.

Current Coburn has more value than any of those players did at the time they were traded... he is worth a 1st but it may be more likely he gets a return like Boychuk but slightly better, ie 3-4 2nds and 3rds.

#2-3 D men under 30 who can play 22+ a night are very rarely traded... and when they are there is usually a bit of a feeding frenzy.

GMs value draft picks far less than people on HFboards, they will quite willingly give a 3rd pick for a bottom pairing Dman or 4th liner if they identify them as a need.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Disagree on Boychuk and the rest are pretty close, imo.

And none of those guys fetched a 1st.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Disagree on Boychuk and the rest are pretty close, imo.

And none of those guys fetched a 1st.

MacDonald, Garrison, Gorges and Stuart are all easily inferior hockey players with less value that Coburn.

Sekera when traded did not have the value or reputation he has today. In the 3 seasons before traded he had 24 points per 82 games with worse D than Coburn.

Boychuk is older than Coburn and before this season was a #3-4 producing at a similar rate to Coburn is easier minutes on a better team.

He fetched 2 2nds and a 3rd with compromised value as Boston were up against a wall... he is the closest comparable Dman to Coburn traded recently.

Coburn gets more than Boychuk on the market.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If we do somehow manage to trade Coburn for a great return like a 1st rounder+ prospect, I would like to see us target Johnny Boychuk in the off season. I think he is a better all around player than Coburn and would come in around 5 million a year. Now, we would have to work some magic first. Vinny or Umberger need to go probably to make it work and another defenseman would too. Luke Schenn or Grossmann are you most realistic options. Also, I think a team like Ottawa might be willing to take Prongers contract for the right price. Hexy had talks to teams about someone taking that contract off his books this summer so I would like to see if he can manage to get something done there. He has his hands full it's unreal.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Boychuk is good, but I don't want to have to outbid a bunch of teams including the Islanders to get him. They have new owners, and tons of cap space.

TerrapinFlyers

Dec 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
I don't see a prospect coming back in the Coburn deal. Teams now that we're just as desperate to move him as they are to get him. Losing that 4.5M would be really helpful.

As far as Boychuk I pass. We're at the time now where I don't know that they're going to be very good next year either and I'd rather see them try to work guys like Morin, Hagg, and Alt into the lineup than spend more money on free agents. We're not really helping ourselves if we continue to do the same things over and over with free agents. What is the definition of insanity again? A lot has to do with what other moves we make besides Coburn. If they can move Grossman or Streit they should probably try.

I wouldn't mind trying this even though I know it's going to be bad

Streit MacDonald
Schenn Ghost
MDZ Morin
player X

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don't see a prospect coming back in the Coburn deal. Teams now that we're just as desperate to move him as they are to get him. Losing that 4.5M would be really helpful.

As far as Boychuk I pass. We're at the time now where I don't know that they're going to be very good next year either and I'd rather see them try to work guys like Morin, Hagg, and Alt into the lineup than spend more money on free agents. We're not really helping ourselves if we continue to do the same things over and over with free agents. What is the definition of insanity again? A lot has to do with what other moves we make besides Coburn. If they can move Grossman or Streit they should probably try.

I wouldn't mind trying this even though I know it's going to be bad

Streit MacDonald
Schenn Ghost
MDZ Morin
player X

Flyers are in no way desperate to move him. If they were, they would have accepted the three 2nd round draft picks Edmonton was offering a few years ago. He plays 22 minutes a night and all of that is on the PK and ES. If the Flyers don't find a deal worth moving him for, I keep him.

The players who really need to be moved are Grossmann and Schenn. I am not as high on Alt as everyone else on here also. Flyers aren't going to use three rookie defenseman next year either. Morin I still think has the best chance to make the NHL, especially if he has a huge 2nd half in the Q now.

There is nothing wrong with pursuing free agents either. The problem is the type of players Homer would target. Players like Vinny need to be avoided. They are well past their prime. Boychuk is playing some of the best hockey of his career right now and is still in the prime years for a defenseman. He makes sense if moves can be made and the Flyers make a good pitch for him. His transition game will help this team out majorly as well. If we manage to move Grossmann and Schenn, Boychuk would be a great look on the top pairing.

Imagine a back end of:

Boychuk-Coburn
MacDonald-Streit
Schultz-Morin
xxxx

That would be a much better unit than we field now. This is a lineup with Coburn as well. I would be in favor of keeping him unless a team pays a hefty price tag for him. At the deadline, when defenseman are a commodity, Coburn's value might be sky high. Especially with teams seeing his extra year on the contract they would be willing to pay much more for a player with term instead of a rental.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
That doesn't add up and actually shows that he's being underrated. He was bad for the first few games since he came back from injury, but since then he's been much better.

You could make a case that Grossmann's been the better player, just like I could make a case that the sun is cold. The problem is that we'd both be wrong. Coburn's at least as good defensively and he's miles and miles ahead in both skating and passing. The reason he could be moved is because he's going to want a lot for his next contract and his our most valuable non-core piece. Getting a pick instead of overpaying for an aging defensemen is a good thing, especially because we need to make room for prospects. Definitely want to get rid of Grossmann, but that's because he's just plain bad and not worth much.

I worked with a girl who had an MBA, and felt the need to tell me on more than one occasion that she had a 3.9 GPA, ask me why it was cold in the winter if the sun was out. I actually explained it to her...I still don't know why I did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad