Braydon Coburn

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
10806267_10205507531233169_3326512705277683897_n.jpg

:facepalm:

Meh...he was just going to leap frog the other Flyer so he could catch the guy quicker on the other side :sarcasm:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
of course, but you wait until the deadline this year to do it

You might get a bigger return now. Look at the Vanik situation last year. The entire league is desperate for defensemen. The Flyers and their fans just have to except reality that they are not a good team and need to rebuild. I don't get the sense that upper management is there yet, although I do believe Hextall knows it even if the rest do not.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nah guys, you've got it all wrong.

They're being smart there and drafting so that Coburn can slingshot around him and take the forward by surprise.

I mean sure, it looks like they're being idiots and spooning in the middle of a game, but these guys know what they're doing... they're professionals.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
There are rumors that del zotto is back and that coburn could be the odd man out.

It's amazing if you look at our record and pk when he was out and how bad it was when he came back.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There are rumors that del zotto is back and that coburn could be the odd man out.

It's amazing if you look at our record and pk when he was out and how bad it was when he came back.

Haha thats hilarious. Coburn or Grossmann will NEVER be held accountable for their terrible play. Never.

Only way that happens is if Coburn is traded first.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

The PK was also terrible without him. Remember the game against Dallas?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The PK was also terrible without him. Remember the game against Dallas?

That was an anomoly amongst mostly solid performances.

The bottom line is this.

With Coburn in the lineup, the Flyers are a shocking 1-11-2.

Without Coburn in the lineup, the Flyers were 7-3-2.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That was an anomoly amongst mostly solid performances.

The bottom line is this.

With Coburn in the lineup, the Flyers are a shocking 1-11-2.

Without Coburn in the lineup, the Flyers were 7-3-2.

It wasn't an anomaly. The Flyers PK without Coburn was 79.5%. Not last in the league, but still terrible. The problems with it go way beyond one defenseman.

And your record stats aren't quite right. The Flyers are 2-10-2 with Coburn, 6-3-2 without him. His first game back was against Colorado.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

The Flyers record with Emery is 4-4-1, and only 4-9-3 with Mason. Does that mean Emery should be the starter?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It wasn't an anomaly. The Flyers PK without Coburn was 79.5%. Not last in the league, but still terrible. The problems with it go way beyond one defenseman.

And your record stats aren't quite right. The Flyers are 2-10-2 with Coburn, 6-3-2 without him. His first game back was against Colorado.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

The Flyers record with Emery is 4-4-1, and only 4-9-3 with Mason. Does that mean Emery should be the starter?

That's not fair..Emery played a bunch when Coburn wasn't playing. :sarcasm:

Reality is, Coburn isn't worth a raise when his contract is up. Trading him this year will get us a better return than next year.

I REALLY target Anaheim if I am Philly. You know they are in win now mode with adding Kesler and want to get by LA and Chicago. And right now, they have lots of guys banged up.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That's not fair..Emery played a bunch when Coburn wasn't playing. :sarcasm:

Reality is, Coburn isn't worth a raise when his contract is up. Trading him this year will get us a better return than next year.

I REALLY target Anaheim if I am Philly. You know they are in win now mode with adding Kesler and want to get by LA and Chicago. And right now, they have lots of guys banged up.

Yup I would wait until the trade deadline. There should be a pretty healthy arms race assuming teams stay close.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Coburn needs a partner with a great hockey sense to make the best use of his talents, which is Schultz-Coburn is a horrible pairing. On massive blunder against the Sharks, we see how a lack of communication and chemistry led to a defensive breakdown. Of course, Coburn shouldn't have made such a risky play at that moment, but someone like Timonen would have been able to focus on the play and read his partner at the same time, and let the puck go.
A lot of the typical Coburn "blunders" are caused by the same thing that made him effective in the past: he doesn't overthink things. He makes composed, instinctive decisions which often pay off when matched against top players, because a moment of hesitation against someone like Crosby, and the puck ends up in the back of the net. The truly great defenders can make elite-level plays without hesitation because they read the game so well, but Coburn isn't a "truly great defender". He's a quality #2 who's being misused.
He'll probably be traded to a contender, paired with a #1 and excel in a complimentary, 1st pair role. It's disheartening and unfortunate.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They could pair him with Streit, but we don't have any other better options than Schultz aside from that.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Coburn is not a #2 D, at least no longer in my books.

He relies heavily on his partner bailing him out when he turns the puck over which happens way too often. And he has struggled to build any chemistry with any other defenseman not named Timonen for many years now. Way too many IFs and Buts about his games - he's a floater. THat's not what to expect from one of your two best defensemen.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Last year was probably his best overall season all things considered. He did pretty well while asked to do more than he can.

This year has been pretty hideous. And it looks like there's a chance his already mediocre offensive abilities are starting to erode.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Coburn is not a #2 D, at least no longer in my books.

He relies heavily on his partner bailing him out when he turns the puck over which happens way too often. And he has struggled to build any chemistry with any other defenseman not named Timonen for many years now. Way too many IFs and Buts about his games - he's a floater. THat's not what to expect from one of your two best defensemen.

Despite his rough start, I'll still take him as a #2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad