Confirmed with Link: Brandon Manning signs 2-year deal ($975K AAV)

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
they could have Brennan around to play 14 games.

Brennan would need to play 40 games to satisfy the requirement, not 14. Manning qualifies after 14 games because he played 56 games last season; anyone who wasn't on an NHL roster for more than 30 games last year wouldn't qualify before the 40 game mark.

The requirement is a defenseman signed for the 2017-18 season who played either 40 games in 2016-17 or 70 games combined between 2015-16 and 2016-17. Neither Brennan nor MacDonald played more than 30 games in the NHL last year, so they'd need to hit the 40 games requirement.

I am, however, absolutely with you on the "we should have just signed Luke Schenn" bandwagon.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
So f****** funny to read this thread and hear everybody complaining about Manning and then about him being a meat shield for expansion about how is going to be sticking around but nothing really positive of him and it's absolutely hilarious.

I like him as a meat sheild too.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Brennan would need to play 40 games to satisfy the requirement, not 14. Manning qualifies after 14 games because he played 56 games last season; anyone who wasn't on an NHL roster for more than 30 games last year wouldn't qualify before the 40 game mark.

The requirement is a defenseman signed for the 2017-18 season who played either 40 games in 2016-17 or 70 games combined between 2015-16 and 2016-17. Neither Brennan nor MacDonald played more than 30 games in the NHL last year, so they'd need to hit the 40 games requirement.

Gotcha. The expansion draft rules are not my forte.

I am, however, absolutely with you on the "we should have just signed Luke Schenn" bandwagon.

Yeah, Manning is pretty bad.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I love how it's had to be explained 50 times in this thread why a 2 year deal was necessary. Read the thread, guys. Hextall isn't stupid. There's an easy explanation for this. Don't just lash out with no background info like a ****ing WIP caller.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I love how it's had to be explained 50 times in this thread why a 2 year deal was necessary. Read the thread, guys. Hextall isn't stupid. There's an easy explanation for this. Don't just lash out with no background info like a ****ing WIP caller.

Yup....I thought this sums it up nicely:

Philly HAD to give him 2 years to make sure they have at least 1 Dman UNDER CONTRACT to expose to Vegas. We need to play him 14 games this year...or 40 to AMac. If AMac got hurt, we would have no one to expose....so would have to expose Gudas instead of protecting him.

That's all this is. If there was no expansion, Philly only signs him for 1 year....or maybe not at all. Who knows. But we HAD to have someone to expose to Vegas.

MDZ: no contract....protect if he re-signs.
Ghost: protect
Gudas: protect
Streit: UFA next summer
Schultz: UFA next summer
Provy: obviously protected

AMac: needs to play 40 games to expose to Vegas if Manning doesn't play 14
Manning: needs you play 14 games to expose to Vegas if AMac doesn't play 40

So again....this is just as much an expansion move as it is a hockey move.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

There were other options available. It isn't like Manning was the only possible guy that could have filled this role (both on the team and in terms of expansion draft exposure).

Interesting side note. In reviewing the rules for the expansion draft I noticed this on the NHL's site...

Regulations Relating to Expansion Franchise
* The Las Vegas franchise must select one player from each presently existing club for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

How do they get extra players as a result of violations???

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
The ONLY way bringing this turd back makes sense is if they're ready to jettison at least one of Schulz or Streit. I hope they both go.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
MacDonald could play the game requirement for the expansion draft but it's best to give yourself multiple options so you're not banking on one player to reach it.

#7 defensmen typically play around 15-20 games so Manning should reach the number unless of an injury even if in that role.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
There were other options available. It isn't like Manning was the only possible guy that could have filled this role (both on the team and in terms of expansion draft exposure).

Like who? This is so insanely convenient. You are only committed to playing him 14 games this year. Then you can do whatever. Even stash him in the minors for no cap hit. It's a no-brainer. Who else offers that much flexibility?

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How do they get extra players as a result of violations???

It's a function of "well, the players have to go somewhere." The thinking as I understand it is that if a team is going to submit an invalid list, the league reserves the right to assign additional players from that team to Las Vegas, to penalize the team that tried to cheat. This likely is being done to prevent the opening of a can of worms that would come about by making those players free agents instead.

Functionally, this won't come into play unless someone is godawful stupid (so Vancouver might want to worry about this); it's just a warning from the league to the teams not to play fast and loose with the protection requirements.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Why the hell would we make it any more than 1 year!? I know it's not much money but hes a waste of an nhl roster spot outside of the 14 games to expose his ass

Didn't realize he had to have a 2 year deal to be exposed

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The ONLY way bringing this turd back makes sense is if they're ready to jettison at least one of Schulz or Streit. I hope they both go.

Please read all of the dozens of other comments prior to yours explaining the logic behind it.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
I feel like half the posts in this thread are from the people who comment on the Facebook and hockeybuzz.com articles...holy hell

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Manning absolutely has to be one of the best No. 6-7 defensemen in hockey. He's actually a positive possession player in a limited role.

Getting worked up about this or even angry about it is insanity.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Like who? This is so insanely convenient. You are only committed to playing him 14 games this year. Then you can do whatever. Even stash him in the minors for no cap hit. It's a no-brainer. Who else offers that much flexibility?

Luke Schenn and Eric Gryba come to mind off hand. Gryba is still unsigned (idk what he'll get but probably somewhere in this ball park I'd guess). I'd prefer both to Manning even at an increased cost (I also think both have more appeal in an expansion draft).

Like I said, this isn't some terrible move. It's not going to cost them a playoff game spot, I just think it's too much money and too much term for a ****** player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Manning absolutely has to be one of the best No. 6-7 defensemen in hockey. He's actually a positive possession player in a limited role.

Getting worked up about this or even angry about it is insanity.

I don't give two flying ****s about his possesion metrics being inflated by playing with Ghost and Gudas for big chunks of the season, the guy is horrific. Calling him one of the best 6-7 defensemen in the league is an insult to all defensemen everywhere.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Luke Schenn and Eric Gryba come to mind off hand. Gryba is still unsigned (idk what he'll get but probably somewhere in this ball park I'd guess). I'd prefer both to Manning even at an increased cost (I also think both have more appeal in an expansion draft).

Like I said, this isn't some terrible move. It's not going to cost them a playoff game spot, I just think it's too much money and too much term for a ****** player.

Defensemen that can't skate is not what Hextall or Hakstoll are looking for.

Please move on.

This is not a contract being worked up over, and this is from someone that despises Manning.

Too much money? Its less than a million ****ing dollars! Too much term? That's so he meets expansion exposure requirements. Why don't you ever seem to absorb what others tell you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad