Confirmed with Link: Brandon Manning signs 2-year deal ($975K AAV)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I am at this point I am pretty sure someone is traded after camp.

Del Zotto -- Gostisbehere
Provorov -- Gudas
MacDonald -- Streit
Schultz -- Manning

Morin -- Brennan
Sanheim -- O'Neill
Hagg -- Alt
Pettersson -- Willcox
Lamarche

Is just a hell of a lot of D to have contracted for 2 teams!

TP said they tried to trade Streit and couldn't, so I'll confidently say it'll be Streit. :laugh:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't like this log jam for mediocre defensive players, while we have this influx of ridiculous talent knocking on the door.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
You can argue Provorov & Morin could be effective on this team, definitely over guys like MacDonald/Manning/Streit

I don't think anyone is in Provorov's way, and Morin won't be hurt be more time in the AHL. Trying to cram both of them and Gostisbhere into the lineup right now is shortsighted.

Manning is an extra D--no one wants Morin up just to sit in the press box. Schultz may well end up in the same role of Provorov makes the team.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Lace'em up Mandawg.

xTCBZjv.jpg

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
This deal is perfect and smart. manning was either getting a two year deal or no deal at all. He or Amac will have 6th D duties until one reaches 40/70 rule and then the D can be upgrade if needed.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just thinking about watching Manning next year has put me in a funk today.

So depressing.

I feel like a little kid who has to eat his lima beans (Manning) before he gets his desert (all of the defensive prospects). Except the lima beans are covered in Drano and there's a whole bucket of them.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yeesh. I mean, I think I'd prefer Brennan to Manning. I get the feeling that with this contract, Hextall/Hakstol do not anticipate any rookie making the team out of camp. I don't have a problem with them bringing him back (though I would have just let him walk), but for two years at more money than a guy like Gordon or VdV or PEB...ouch. Luckily it is such small potatoes that it doesn't really matter but it is tough to see that. **** I would have preferred to bring back Schenn at $1.25 million over Manning at $975k.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I have a feeling Manning will be buried in the AHL. We have no more cap issues and we have someone like Provorov coming in and MDZ being healthy. We have no room or need for Manning on the Flyers. Even with the signing, we can still bury him easily.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Worst news of the summer.

I understand it.

But I still hate it.

Hakstol's love for him and VandeVelde are literally my only concerns heading into the season.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Well the basic stats, advanced stats, and eye test all say that he is hot garbage.

Yet somehow the god Ron Hextall thought enough of him to bring him back for 2 more years.

He's a depth defenseman. Nothing more or less.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Best news of the day. Manning was generously rewarded for being a team player and for his improved play after being paired with Gudas. Luckily the H & H duo use their own judgement instead of the warped thoughts of posters on this board. I predict he will have a strong camp and be ready to lace 'em up as the #6 D.

AMac should go back to the minors and either Streit/Schultz should be gone before the season. That further opens the slot for the one and only ManDog. Congrats again to Brandon!!

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He's being paid almost as low as you can possibly get a player. lol.

I get don't bring him back at all, sure that is definitely an option. But they know what they got in him. Not a bit risk here.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yet somehow the god Ron Hextall thought enough of him to bring him back for 2 more years.

He's a depth defenseman. Nothing more or less.

As others mentioned, they have to expose a defensemen under contract for 17-18 that plays in either 40 games in 16-17 or 70 games combined in 15-16 and 16-17. If Manning plays in 14 games in 16-17, he reaches the 70 game threshold and meets our exposure requirement. It is insurance in case MacDonald doesn't meet the requirement and can't be exposed. Yes, he can also be used as a depth defensemen..and i'm fine if he is the 7th or 8th and is used sparingly..

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Yeesh. I mean, I think I'd prefer Brennan to Manning. I get the feeling that with this contract, Hextall/Hakstol do not anticipate any rookie making the team out of camp. I don't have a problem with them bringing him back (though I would have just let him walk), but for two years at more money than a guy like Gordon or VdV or PEB...ouch. Luckily it is such small potatoes that it doesn't really matter but it is tough to see that. **** I would have preferred to bring back Schenn at $1.25 million over Manning at $975k.

Read the below explanation on exactly what the signing is

Philly HAD to give him 2 years to make sure they have at least 1 Dman UNDER CONTRACT to expose to Vegas. We need to play him 14 games this year...or 40 to AMac. If AMac got hurt, we would have no one to expose....so would have to expose Gudas instead of protecting him.

That's all this is. If there was no expansion, Philly only signs him for 1 year....or maybe not at all. Who knows. But we HAD to have someone to expose to Vegas.

MDZ: no contract....protect if he re-signs.
Ghost: protect
Gudas: protect
Streit: UFA next summer
Schultz: UFA next summer
Provy: obviously protected

AMac: needs to play 40 games to expose to Vegas if Manning doesn't play 14
Manning: needs you play 14 games to expose to Vegas if AMac doesn't play 40

So again....this is just as much an expansion move as it is a hockey move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad