Confirmed with Link: Brandon Manning signs 2-year deal ($975K AAV)

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Manning absolutely has to be one of the best No. 6-7 defensemen in hockey. He's actually a positive possession player in a limited role.

Getting worked up about this or even angry about it is insanity.

Exactly. He played well the last 1/4 of the season and into the playoffs. I would dare say he and Gudas were our best 5v5 duo against the Craps. But let's be sure to bury him on this board before training camp even starts.

Look, if he's outplayed in camp, so be it. However, there's always a chance that he comes in motivated by the new contract and feeling uplifted and positive by the way the season ended for him. It's simple to me...start the best 6 from preseason. If Manning is in that group, great. If not, he's a number 7 ready to step in.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm happy our important players will be protected in the expansion draft in part because of this.

That's literally all I have to say on this.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Exactly. He played well the last 1/4 of the season and into the playoffs. I would dare say he and Gudas were our best 5v5 duo against the Craps. But let's be sure to bury him on this board before training camp even starts.

Look, if he's outplayed in camp, so be it. However, there's always a chance that he comes in motivated by the new contract and feeling uplifted and positive by the way the season ended for him. It's simple to me...start the best 6 from preseason. If Manning is in that group, great. If not, he's a number 7 ready to step in.

He didn't even play well 1/82 of the season, let alone 1/4.

And the last thing in the world that you should want is for the best 6 defensemen to make the roster, because that would be no Manning. If spots were 100% on merit then he wouldn't be on the NHL or AHL roster.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Defensemen that can't skate is not what Hextall or Hakstoll are looking for.

Please move on.

This is not a contract being worked up over, and this is from someone that despises Manning.

Too much money? Its less than a million ****ing dollars! Too much term? That's so he meets expansion exposure requirements. Why don't you ever seem to absorb what others tell you?

I'm not worked up about it. I just think it's a bit much. I've repeatedly said that it isn't a big deal. I even posted in my first post that I had no issues bringing him back, just that the cap hit (higher than guys like PEB, VDV, and Gordon) is tough to swallow and if they really did sign him just for expansion draft reasons, there are other guys I'd prefer. I'm not allowed to have an opinion?

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Manning absolutely has to be one of the best No. 6-7 defensemen in hockey. He's actually a positive possession player in a limited role.

Getting worked up about this or even angry about it is insanity.

Lol boxcar you made another username just to attempt to make manning more likable? Btw he's FAR from the best 6 or even 7th dman in the league, he wouldn't really make it on any nhl roster outside of ours (somehow)

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
How do you placate a Knight?

First, you start by Manning up.

Then show him a kindness by taking him to MacDonalds.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
If(or when)he plays well this year, I expect formal apologies from everyone. In addition, I will expect premium seats when I come up to Philly from Richmond for a couple of games this year. Beer would be nice as well :cheers:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm surprised Hextall didn't go to arbitration. Manning's numbers were objectively poor.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
MacDonald could play the game requirement for the expansion draft but it's best to give yourself multiple options so you're not banking on one player to reach it.

#7 defensmen typically play around 15-20 games so Manning should reach the number unless of an injury even if in that role.

Yeah, one bad injury could easily cost a player half the season or more.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm surprised Hextall didn't go to arbitration. Manning's numbers were objectively poor.

Yeah but they did play him in 56 regular season games & 6 playoff games last year. It's tough to argue that you see him as a spare player after you played him that much (speaking from an organizational standpoint).

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
maxresdefault.jpg

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
He is a cheap 6th/7th d that knows the system. I'm sure they're planning on scratching him but at least once in he shouldn't be too lost like some others could be coming in off and on.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
He didn't even play well 1/82 of the season, let alone 1/4.

And the last thing in the world that you should want is for the best 6 defensemen to make the roster, because that would be no Manning. If spots were 100% on merit then he wouldn't be on the NHL or AHL roster.
Manning is a very good AHL dman. He's a AAAA player. Good player for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL on a consistent basis.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's able to score at the AHL level, but even there his defense is bad.

So AHL offense and sub-AHL defense doesn't belong in the NHL and he shouldnt replace anyone we have in the AHL right now since they're all prospects or AHL stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad