Confirmed with Link: Brandon Manning signs 2-year deal ($975K AAV)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Nobody think he'll get taken, it's about not needing to expose anyone else.

He's our expansion meat shield.

Exactly, there were discussions that if they didn't play MacDonald enough, they'd have to expose somebody like Gudas, which they clearly don't.

Now Manning is the sacrificial lamb, MacDonald will still be exposed, but Manning meets that criteria.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Nobody think he'll get taken, it's about not needing to expose anyone else.

He's our expansion meat shield.

Gudas and Gostisbehere are most definitely being protected so you only have one spot left anyway. Assuming Del Zotto is resigned it's him. Then you have AMAC for meat shield duties, along with Manning. Schultz and Streit are UFA's. If Del Zotto is not re-signed, I'd rather them protect Manning and pray Vegas takes AMAC.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think they will want to carry 8D so they could send MacDonald to the AHL again if Provorov makes the team, but then why sign veteran AHL dmen like Brennan and O'Neill if that's the plan?

Hextall can be easy to read sometimes, but I really don't know what he will do with the defense for 16-17.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Gudas and Gostisbehere are most definitely being protected so you only have one spot left anyway. Assuming Del Zotto is resigned it's him. Then you have AMAC for meat shield duties, along with Manning. Schultz and Streit are UFA's. If Del Zotto is not re-signed, I'd rather them protect Manning and pray Vegas takes AMAC.

MacDonald may not qualify.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Keep Shultz and get rid of Streit.

I would rather have the choice not to insert Schultz or Macdonald into the lineup if they are a drag on their partners.

Edit: Streit's value could also recover some between now and the deadline, which is another reason to keep him. And although he's not a right shot, he's also used to playing RD with proficiency.

Last edited:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Overpaid by about 950K per year....

Quite apparent the GM and coach like this guy and also seems he gets along well with the core, so it is what it is !!

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
I think they gave him a little more than he would've normally got because it's understood he's the expansion draft sacrificial lamb

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Has to be a plan. Way too many d men and provorov just should not be back in juniors next year

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Has to be a plan. Way too many d men and provorov just should not be back in juniors next year

It wouldn't be outrageous to have Macdonald in the AHL and Schultz in the press box most of the year if they have to be. There will be time missed by the regulars and it means Sanheim and Morin don't have to be forced onto the big squad. If someone goes before the season I would prefer Schultz but they don't have to make any moves right now, and because of this signing they don't have to give Macdonald 40 games this year if he doesn't earn the spot.

I think that's all there is to this. Letting performance alone dictate how the roster is shaped out of camp.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
It wouldn't be outrageous to have Macdonald in the AHL and Schultz in the press box most of the year if they have to be. There will be time missed by the regulars and it means Sanheim and Morin don't have to be forced onto the big squad. If someone goes before the season I would prefer Schultz but they don't have to make any moves right now.

Please no. Streit first hes done

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
So how is Manning going to be eligible either? He better not be getting 10 games let alone 40

Different points in their career

Charlie has a great point. 14 games of Manning and he qualifies as our exposed D-man for the expansion draft. This still allows Hextall to send MacDonald to the AHL if Provorov makes the team. So now you can expect Ghost/Gudas/Morin to be protected as D-men next year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Last edited:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
So now we know who the 2 players who will have to qualify for playing X amount of games plus be under contract.

Read & Manning will be those guys.

MacDonald?

Edit: I see it's been addressed above.

There's really no reason to send MacDonald to the AHL and play Manning at this point. They don't need the cap and MacDonald is a much better player. But this does give them another option in case MacDonald gets hurt or they make a move that requires burying his salary.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
MacDonald?

Edit: I see it's been addressed above.

There's really no reason to send MacDonald to the AHL and play Manning at this point. They don't need the cap and MacDonald is a much better player. But this does give them another option in case MacDonald gets hurt or they make a move that requires burying his salary.

Agreed. If MacDonald blows his knee out in game 5 and is done for the season, without a Manning deal, they would be forced to expose Gudas or sign Schultz to a deal and expose him.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I don't think they will want to carry 8D so they could send MacDonald to the AHL again if Provorov makes the team, but then why sign veteran AHL dmen like Brennan and O'Neill if that's the plan?

Hextall can be easy to read sometimes, but I really don't know what he will do with the defense for 16-17.

I am at this point I am pretty sure someone is traded after camp.

Del Zotto -- Gostisbehere
Provorov -- Gudas
MacDonald -- Streit
Schultz -- Manning

Morin -- Brennan
Sanheim -- O'Neill
Hagg -- Alt
Pettersson -- Willcox
Lamarche

Is just a hell of a lot of D to have contracted for 2 teams!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad