Confirmed with Link: Brandon Manning signs 2-year deal ($975K AAV)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Best news of the day. Manning was generously rewarded for being a team player and for his improved play after being paired with Gudas. Luckily the H & H duo use their own judgement instead of the warped thoughts of posters on this board. I predict he will have a strong camp and be ready to lace 'em up as the #6 D.

AMac should go back to the minors and either Streit/Schultz should be gone before the season. That further opens the slot for the one and only ManDog. Congrats again to Brandon!!

You're gonna be mad when he's not playing by the end of the year and all of those things have happened.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe Manning is not as bad as some think around here..

I don't mind the contract; other #7s have gotten similar deals in the recent past. And it can be buried in the AHL if necessary, and used in the ED.

I just don't want to see him given prime offensive minutes again when he hasn't displayed the ability to take advantage of them and we have guys like Ghost, Streit, MDZ and MacDonald who have. Plus Provorov and Sanheim on the way. Manning played 56 games and started in the OZ 295 times last season - that's far too much for a #7 with such limited puck skills and offensive awareness.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I understand him getting re-signed for 2 years due to expansion. But I still think he is overpaid by a bit...like 100,500-200,000.

On game days where we have a long layoff afterwards, we should dress an extra Dman and let our good forwards get a few extra shifts a period.

Get Manning's 14 games played out of the way early if possible.

But what this also means, is that Manning is on the team all year folks. They won't risk losing him to waivers because of needing him to expose to Vegas. So of any Dman is moved down, it's going to be AMac. And poor Alt. If there was no expansion, he might of had the #7 spot. Now, it's not available.

I expect Schultz to be traded before the season. Certain people want it to be Streit but he can at least play he right side. I don't trust AMac of Schultz to do so.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
It'll be funny when 14 games elapse and Manning is sent down.

Unless he outplays two or three of the other guys and shows he belongs on the big club...don't count your Manning chickens before they hatch, my friend. I have a feeling he could surprise a few folks this year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We can't take the chance he would get claimed...and thus not being available for Vegas. We are having Manning on the roster for the year...sigh.

Who would even claim him? What team by game 14 will have a D so devastated that they'd need a guy with AHL offense and ECHL defense?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Read the below explanation on exactly what the signing is

For $1 million I think they could have found someone better as a UFA or for less they could have Brennan around to play 14 games. Schenn at $1.2 million to me is better than Manning at $975k. At the very least, no matter how you feel about Schenn, plays at least passable NHL-level defense. Doesn't do himself any favors offensively, but if there's a need for a guy to play I'd rather have Schenn out there than Manning. There's a couple guys on this list still available that would do the job better IMO too. At the end of the day, I don't think it is a big deal because Manning or whomever was signed is not going to have any serious impact on the season one way or another, I just would have preferred someone else.

http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=D&shoots=Both&team=all&UFA=1

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unless he outplays two or three of the other guys and shows he belongs on the big club...don't count your Manning chickens before they hatch, my friend. I have a feeling he could surprise a few folks this year.

Common sense tells us that wont happen.

And again, you apparently need to be reminded that Manning is easily the worse defensemen on the roster. Streit, Schultz, and MacDonald are all better than him (disregarding contracts).

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It's like some people forgot Manning had to be played. MDZ was hurt and MDV couldn't play D.

There were no other options.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's like some people forgot Manning had to be played. MDZ was hurt and MDV couldn't play D.

There were no other options.

Medvedev played D no worse than Manning and boosted the teams offense. I would have preferred he played.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

what is the air like on your planet ???

i suspect its got a high helium content...:shakehead

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Medvedev was easily better than Manning.

Decent offense and terrible defense > terrible offense and terrible defense.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
For $1 million I think they could have found someone better as a UFA or for less they could have Brennan around to play 14 games. Schenn at $1.2 million to me is better than Manning at $975k. At the very least, no matter how you feel about Schenn, plays at least passable NHL-level defense. Doesn't do himself any favors offensively, but if there's a need for a guy to play I'd rather have Schenn out there than Manning. There's a couple guys on this list still available that would do the job better IMO too. At the end of the day, I don't think it is a big deal because Manning or whomever was signed is not going to have any serious impact on the season one way or another, I just would have preferred someone else.

http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=D&shoots=Both&team=all&UFA=1

None of those guys on that list are signing 2 way deals...

You're looking at it in a way too short term outlook

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Medvedev was easily better than Manning.

Decent offense and terrible defense > terrible offense and terrible defense.

Meds was light years better then Manning..

Meds would make a mistake then get benched for multiple games..

Manning would make constant blunders every game, yet keep getting the next game as a reward... its one HUGE glaring issue with Haks, he is god awful at selecting his roster for game nite.

Meds was never given the chance to make a mistake or two and be trusted to learn and play the next game...its no wonder he never got a chance to learn here...

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I must've been watching a different MDV. When he wasn't pushing offense, he was a disaster, easily worse than Manning.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
lol...regardless MDV is gone and Manning will most likely be outplayed by MacDonald and/or Provorov and be eating popcorn. THAT I am confident in.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
In Medvedevs defense, I probably would have turned to drugs and alcohol too if I had to watch Manning play ahead of me.

Both were trash defensively, so that's a wash, but you never saw Manning do anything productive offensively like this:

But yeah, neither of them have/had a future here so it doesn't matter where they are now or who was/is better. Manning will be gone soon enough and we'll be a better team without them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad