Player Discussion Brady Skjei

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
If he can work on improving his shot he definitely has #2 potential.

Hard to say who's going to be better in the long run - him or Trouba, but I would personally put my money on Trouba

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Winnipeg wants a comparable LD for Trouba. If Winnipeg calls this June before the expansion draft offering Trouba straight up for Skjei,do you make the trade if you are Gorton? Skjei is no longer an unknown quantity with a cup of coffee of NHL experience like he was in the fall.

Yeah absolutely. Lets even say that they top out as equals, I'll take the RHD over the LHD.

Ideally, I'd like to have them both.

Skjei should see a bump in ice time. There is no reason for Staal to average 2+ minutes a game more than him.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The thing Skjei really needs to work on is kinda the opposite of what Kreider had to. He needs to play the game at a pace where he can think and pass. He knows he's a tremendous skater and it bails him out of a lot of situations, but then he'll enter the offensive zone, by himself, with the puck, and have no idea what to do with it. he comes across as a very dumb player but I'm not sure if he just lacks the vision i'd hoped he'd have, or he just doesn't know at what speed he needs to play the game.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The thing Skjei really needs to work on is kinda the opposite of what Kreider had to. He needs to play the game at a pace where he can think and pass. He knows he's a tremendous skater and it bails him out of a lot of situations, but then he'll enter the offensive zone, by himself, with the puck, and have no idea what to do with it. he comes across as a very dumb player but I'm not sure if he just lacks the vision i'd hoped he'd have, or he just doesn't know at what speed he needs to play the game.

Don't see how anyone can really call him dumb with some off the passes hes made in the offensive zone this year. Put those John Moore comps to rest real quick.

The vision is there. Dumping pucks in deep when you're by yourself isn't necessarily a low IQ play, especially when it seems like a player on this team does it after spending a minute+ skating around in their own end and need a change.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Don't see how anyone can really call him dumb with some off the passes hes made in the offensive zone this year. Put those John Moore comps to rest real quick.

Well, I never made that comparison lol

Again dumb is likely not the right word, but something up there is off. He needlessly carries the puck into bad spots too frequently for it to be a coincidence.

The vision is there. Dumping pucks in deep when you're by yourself isn't necessarily a low IQ play, especially when it seems like a player on this team does it after spending a minute+ skating around in their own end and need a change.

It's not the dump in necessarily that is the bad play, it's more that he would take initiative to be the first man in with the puck frequently, with no idea of what to do with the puck when he realizes his teammates are still a step or two behind.

I wonder if it's a problem with Skjei's game, or the system we employ; which is very anti-puck support and is a lot more about winning individual battles and catching teammates in soft spots of coverage, considerably more than high volume shooting and rapid offensive movement.

Think it's both.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'd hesitate to discredit that comparison so quick.

Skjei is in his 22-23 year old season right now. That was 2012-2013 for Moore. Lockout shortened year. Traded to NYR mid-season.

5v5 via Corsica:

TOI:
Skjei: 790 [14.6 per game]
Moore: 366 [12.2 per game]

G/60
Skjei: 0.15
Moore: 0.16

A160
Skjei: 0.68
Moore: 0.66

A260 [included for integrity, but **** A2s]
Skjei: 0.61
Moore: 0.33

relSA%
Skjei: 1.52
Moore: 0.86

relxGF%
Skjei: -1.42
Moore: 2.6

relGF%:
Skjei: 2.27
Moore: 9.32

Individual attempts per 60:
Skjei: 8.97
Moore: 10.18

So, in my defense, this isn't the most ridiculous comparison.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
And tbf, John Moore was pretty good as a Ranger. Really dropped off when we traded him to ARI. Never really progressed from his 12/13 season.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
I'd hesitate to discredit that comparison so quick.

Skjei is in his 22-23 year old season right now. That was 2012-2013 for Moore. Lockout shortened year. Traded to NYR mid-season.

5v5 via Corsica:

TOI:
Skjei: 790 [14.6 per game]
Moore: 366 [12.2 per game]

G/60
Skjei: 0.15
Moore: 0.16

A160
Skjei: 0.68
Moore: 0.66

A260 [included for integrity, but **** A2s]
Skjei: 0.61
Moore: 0.33

relSA%
Skjei: 1.52
Moore: 0.86

relxGF%
Skjei: -1.42
Moore: 2.6

relGF%:
Skjei: 2.27
Moore: 9.32

Individual attempts per 60:
Skjei: 8.97
Moore: 10.18

So, in my defense, this isn't the most ridiculous comparison.

It's not a ridiculous comparison, but I'd still say Skjei is a much more complete player, and someone I'd take 10 times out of 10 over Moore.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
And tbf, John Moore was pretty good as a Ranger. Really dropped off when we traded him to ARI. Never really progressed from his 12/13 season.

He was great when he first came over that lockout shortened year but he really plateau'd in the 13-14 season and going forward. He was pretty much a serviceable 3rd pairing dman which was very disappointing based on what we had seen from him in that stretch after he got dealt here.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He was great when he first came over that lockout shortened year but he really plateau'd in the 13-14 season and going forward. He was pretty much a serviceable 3rd pairing dman which was very disappointing based on what we had seen from him in that stretch after he got dealt here.

Precisely.

I've never gone from liking a player to hating them as fast as J. Moore.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016

He looked like the Diet McDonagh at first, and he tailed off hard after that.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's not a ridiculous comparison, but I'd still say Skjei is a much more complete player, and someone I'd take 10 times out of 10 over Moore.

Sure, but also....

He looked like the Diet McDonagh at first, and he tailed off hard after that.

Is exactly what I said about Skjei. I asked will he be more of a McDonagh or more of a John Moore? And thus, the comparison narrative was born.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Sure, but also....

Is exactly what I said about Skjei. I asked will he be more of a McDonagh or more of a John Moore? And thus, the comparison narrative was born.

Hey I said the comparison wasn't ridiculous haha, he could very well end up on that side of the scale, I just don't see it happening, I already think Skjei is a better player than Moore, a much better passer, hell he even has more assists in 54 games than Moore has had season high point totals.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hey I said the comparison wasn't ridiculous haha, he could very well end up on that side of the scale, I just don't see it happening, I already think Skjei is a better player than Moore, a much better passer, hell he even has more assists in 54 games than Moore has had season high point totals.

He's feasting on secondary assists. They are less repeatable year over year than A1s. He also plays on a team that scores a ridiculous amount of goals, but he's a part of that, so it shouldn't be used against him.

But yes, it's been nice.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
From a profile standpoint, I can understand the Moore and Skjei comparisons.

But when you watch them play, its easy to see that its a not really an accurate one. Skjei has made a ton of plays in the offensive zone that Moore just doesn't make. He's been better (or at least more willing/confident) at rushing the puck up the ice and does a better job at getting his shot on net, even if he lacks the velocity that Moore has.

He isn't flawless and there are mistakes that he definitely needs to iron out in order to reach the lofty #2 ceiling that some see, but even if you want to throw out the idea that Skjei and Moore had similar ceilings at the same stage of their careers (now that is fair IMO), Skjei is already closer to reaching it than Moore has ever been.

A2 schmay2, Skjei has already produced more this year than Moore has in any professional season. As long as he stays healthy, that gap is only going to continue to grow. I agree that playing on a strong offensive team will inflate your numbers some, but I don't believe that it's really that big of an issue (See: G has 10 points and Staal has 7 points.)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
From a profile standpoint, I can understand the Moore and Skjei comparisons.

But when you watch them play, its easy to see that its a not really an accurate one. Skjei has made a ton of plays in the offensive zone that Moore just doesn't make. He's been better (or at least more willing/confident) at rushing the puck up the ice and does a better job at getting his shot on net, even if he lacks the velocity that Moore has.

He isn't flawless and there are mistakes that he definitely needs to iron out in order to reach the lofty #2 ceiling that some see, but even if you want to throw out the idea that Skjei and Moore had similar ceilings at the same stage of their careers (now that is fair IMO), Skjei is already closer to reaching it than Moore has ever been.

A2 schmay2, Skjei has already produced more this year than Moore has in any professional season. As long as he stays healthy, that gap is only going to continue to grow. I agree that playing on a strong offensive team will inflate your numbers some, but I don't believe that it's really that big of an issue (See: G has 10 points and Staal has 7 points.)

So we are 'eye-testing' Brady Skjei this year to your memories of John Moore in 2013?

Or, are you comparing Brady Skjei this year, to John Moore this year, where he plays on a Devils team whose entire system is based around suppressing offense for and against? Have you watched enough Devils game to make this comparison of the eye-test?

Or perhaps before declaring anything of substance either way, which you'll notice I have not done, is that maybe we agree that their underlying numbers, and the way they both played at age 22 are similar, and perhaps the book has yet to be written on whether Brady Skjei will definitively have a better NHL career than John Moore has.

I am not comfortable making that declaration just yet.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Skjei makes some really pretty plays..and makes some really ugly turnovers.

young player still learning.

Trouba would be a great grab..but looking at our cap situation....

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Brady Skjei was never billed as an offensive d-man. If I recall correctly, we drafted him as a defensive d who was a tremendous skater with the hope that he could be a 2-way d-man. Offensive upside was gravy.

In my opinion, he's pretty much been as advertised. Better defensively than offensively, and he can skate. I was never sure where the OFD thing came from.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well I still wouldn't say that Skjei is an offensive D. He still profiles as a 2 way D, though hes exceeding expectations on the offensive side of the puck.

He never really produced in college, but that was more of a function of how he was used. A guy like Mike Reilly was force fed minutes both at ES and on the PP. I've always been very confident that Skjei would be a much better pro (more so because Reilly is a space cadet in his own end, partially because stretch pass city doesn't work in the NHL) and so far thats played out.

So we are 'eye-testing' Brady Skjei this year to your memories of John Moore in 2013?

Or, are you comparing Brady Skjei this year, to John Moore this year, where he plays on a Devils team whose entire system is based around suppressing offense for and against? Have you watched enough Devils game to make this comparison of the eye-test?

Or perhaps before declaring anything of substance either way, which you'll notice I have not done, is that maybe we agree that their underlying numbers, and the way they both played at age 22 are similar, and perhaps the book has yet to be written on whether Brady Skjei will definitively have a better NHL career than John Moore has.

I am not comfortable making that declaration just yet.

Its Skjei 2016-17 vs Moore post 2013 really.

If you want to wait and see thats fine and fair, but I'm confident than I've seen things in Skjei's game that have appeared consistently to determine that those things are a part of his game and that he is already better than Moore has ever been and will continue to be so. If I'm wrong, you're welcome to rub my face in it but I won't be :p:

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Brady Skjei was never billed as an offensive d-man. If I recall correctly, we drafted him as a defensive d who was a tremendous skater with the hope that he could be a 2-way d-man. Offensive upside was gravy.

In my opinion, he's pretty much been as advertised. Better defensively than offensively, and he can skate. I was never sure where the OFD thing came from.

From him putting up points at an impressive pace since the start of the season basically

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

I believe he was always billed as a 2 way defenseman since he was drafted.

edit - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1458134-ny-rangers-everything-you-need-to-know-about-brady-skjei here an an article with a few scouting reports of him 4 years ago.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I believe he was always billed as a 2 way defenseman since he was drafted.

edit - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1458134-ny-rangers-everything-you-need-to-know-about-brady-skjei here an an article with a few scouting reports of him 4 years ago.

Fair enough!

I looked back at a few, and it's funny because some praised his offensive game while others said he was lacking on the offensive side and wasn't expected to be a force there. I guess I read a few of the latter back then.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Skjei has been tremendously impressive for us this season. I actually think he is underrated, sure he isn't a teenager, but what D plays this well their rookie season?

His 1 on 1 work defensively is -- besides a few gaffs -- simply world class. Extremely good. Good overall defensively. Offensively, like he doesn't have that 6th sense. But he is jus very very well trained. The kid has obviously worked tremendously hard to get to where he is now.

I am a very big Trouba fan, but I wonder if Skjei basically shouldn't be untouchable. Like have we had a better rookie since Lundqvist? Skjei might not necessarily become as good as McD, but he is a lock to become a very very good defender in this league.

It's easy to miss, but I think we are tremendously fortunate to have guys like McD, Kreider, Skjei and so forth. To such a large extent, these guys are a product of working harder than their peers in the NHL. And it's continuous, someone like Hayes got to feel like a real bum if he shows up in a camp in average to a little below average shape.

And when it comes to the odd gaffs, please just forget about them. What 80% of the goals are scored after gaffs. The kid is a young rookie. Like the other day against Anaheim Skjei had a bouncing puck bounce like 3 feets off his stick behind the net and a second later it's in the net. Crap will happen for any D, and especially a young D. Just like a young forward will miss an open net, misfire a direct shot, have a 2 on 1 pass broken up.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Management is low key very high on him. You can tell Skjei's continued ice time and lack of benching is a top down organizational dictum. Brady has made mistakes one on one and given pucks away that shouldn't have been given away, like the Silfverberg goal a few games ago. He was out right away after that goal. Vigneault speaks highly of him similar to how he speaks about McDonagh. Vigneault's urges to bench a rookie this season is being completely lashed out against Clendening at this point. Can't bench the college UFA signing in Jimmy Vesey and shoot the organization in the foot going forward. Can't bench the #1 prospect in the organization who has options for the KHL. Can't bench #1 defensive prospect* with the terrible defensive core we have. So Clendening will get all the benchings and healthy scratches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad