Player Discussion Brady Skjei

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Who the heck is this guy?!

I was browsing rookie point leaders and there he is at 11th as a defenceman! 24 points and a +8 to boot.

Please tell me more about this guy

He's a rookie LHD, Rangers 1st round pick in 2012. Played extremely well for us last playoffs vs. Pitt, arguably our best defenseman in that series. He's still learning the NHL but so far this year is showing more offensive prowess than most give him credit for, has had a few highlight reel assists this season. He was never a big scorer in college, more of a steady, defensive dman with fantastic speed and skating. He's definitely not great defensively at this point however I think he'll round that into form as he gains experience. Big believer in the theory that it takes most young defensemen 300-400 NHL games before they really figure out the league.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So he's not projected to be some fantasy stud and just more a solid 3/4 d man?

I think he has legit #2 potential. He also has good vision and passing and should always have a good number of assists. He doesn't have the shot to score a lot of goals. He's also a fantastic skater.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I think he has legit #2 potential. He also has good vision and passing and should always have a good number of assists. He doesn't have the shot to score a lot of goals. He's also a fantastic skater.

Thanks. I'll be keeping my eye on him. Was surprised to see him so high up on the rookie chart

Thanks mod for moving my thread. I checked 2 pages deep and didn't see anything

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Never would have thought he'd have 23 assists in his rookie year, he's been up and down defensively, but I really like his play overall for a rookie.

So far so good with this draft pick.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Skay-Jay. And I think he is already the rangers Number Two. He is terrific. I'm happy with the Top Four of Skjei, McDonagh, Staal, and Holden. I, for one, think the Rangers defense problem is a team thing. Not specifically a failure of the Defensemen.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Winnipeg wants a comparable LD for Trouba. If Winnipeg calls this June before the expansion draft offering Trouba straight up for Skjei,do you make the trade if you are Gorton? Skjei is no longer an unknown quantity with a cup of coffee of NHL experience like he was in the fall.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Winnipeg wants a comparable LD for Trouba. If Winnipeg calls this June before the expansion draft offering Trouba straight up for Skjei,do you make the trade if you are Gorton? Skjei is no longer an unknown quantity with a cup of coffee of NHL experience like he was in the fall.

Duh and or hello?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Absolutely. I love Skijeej and think he's going to have a great career, but adding Trouba on the right solves such a major problem on the defense. I'd even throw in a Kovacs or Gropp-level prospect to make that deal happen.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Yes. Even if adding a 4th or later draft pick to the deal.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Definitely.

And that's no knock on Skjei.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
If I had the software, I'd make an avatar of Skjei playing hockey with a squeegee instead of a hockey stick.

zuddqk4.jpg

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016

I'll be the minority that says no thanks. I think Skjei has the potential to be a better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad