Player Discussion Brady Skjei

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I remember Skjei showed some flashes of offensive ability at Minnesota. He has been better offensively than I thought he would be. The skating ability has always been there.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
His ability to skate the puck out of danger and make strong outlet passes is truly outstanding for a kid that should be in the AHL :sarcasm:

I know his secondary assists won't necessarily be repeatable, but damn has this kid found another gear that I didn't think he'd hit this year. We just need to get him to start utilizing his shot more.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
J.Moore had good skating abilities with average playmaking and MDZ had average skating abilities with good playmaking. Skjei has great skating abilities and good play making too. The only thing left is to tick the box of being able to make the correct defensive reads and defensive plays that neither MDZ or J.Moore could do. Brady is well on his way though.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Leddy played at the U. of Minnesota at 18 and NHL at 19....Skjei obviously was a big fan of Minnesota and watch him when he was 15-17 years old.

Also, High School hockey is pretty big in Minnesota. He probably watched some of his high school games as well, when he was just starting in HS.

Laine said something similar the other day. He looked up to Barkov when he started in Finland. It makes sense. These guys are impressionable from about 12-15, and with the exposure the U20 leagues get now, it's easier to watch those players.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
A few weeks back in one of the threads where people were over-hyping Graves' offensive ability, I said Skjei will have more assists in an average season that Graves will overall points. That comment was criticized because apparently, at the time, people thought Skjei couldn't pass.

I've been watching him for a long time and he sees the ice really wells, has good hands, and makes good decisions with the puck. If he had a better shot he'd be a perennial 40-point guy.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
With last season/playoffs and his full rookie year + playoffs, he'll be a great 2nd pairing guy to start next year. With the offensive play making skills and his superb skating, and age, he'll be an extremely valuable guy.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I remember Skjei showed some flashes of offensive ability at Minnesota. He has been better offensively than I thought he would be. The skating ability has always been there.

Considering his comparison was Hedican, and I definitely saw it at Minny, I'd go so far as to say that he's better offensively than anyone other than Skjei thought he could be.

He's one point away from surpassing Hedican's career high of 29 points (in 77 games). Hedican was much better offensively in college as well.

This is a very, very impressive rookie campaign from Skjei.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
its worth remembering that the Rangers, at one point, could score almost at will..that will drive up everyones numbers...especially when it was so balanced. but now, with the offense drying up a bit, hes play...arguably, even better.

so i think while his earlier point totals are likely inflated due to just...you know...playing hockey on a good team..i feel of late he's genuinely driving the play up the ice...hes been remarkably good when id say, earlier in the year, he was very overrated based on sheer numbers. hes improving game to game...the last few have been eye openingly good.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
The praise in this thread is definitely deserved, he is improving so quickly but also exceeding many expectations offensively. It's kind of funny thinking back to last summer how Skjei is not replacing Yandles production, and I was a Yandle fan.

Skjei thru 58 games, 2-26-28 and +13 and just starting to see a some pp minutes.
Yandle thru 59, 3-28-31 and -1.

So we do have management that knows what they're doing.

Skjei will only improve defensively with playing time, experience. He could try to work on his shot from the point a bit, stick handling, will only make him more dangerous offensively.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's hard to compare Yandle and Skjei's outputs when they play on different teams offensively. Yandle would probably have more points offensively with us.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's hard to compare Yandle and Skjei's outputs when they play on different teams offensively. Yandle would probably have more points offensively with us.

It's amazing that no one seems to grasp this concept.

Not to mention that 11 of Skjei's 28 points are primary (15/31 for Yandle).

But. Whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad