Player Discussion Brady Skjei

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was surprised he didn't have a thread.

Brady played an excellent game today for team USA in tuneups for the World Championships.

I feel like his play has really come on in the last few months. He was one of the few bright spots for the Rangers in the second half. He seems to be a player who can legitimately be a top 4 shutdown defenseman, even if the offense doesn't come and he's only a 20-30 point player.

I really hope he gets a chance to play in the top 4 next season.

Clear out some defenseman to get this guy 20 minutes a game next season. I think thats an important objective for the offseason.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
He'll get his 20 minutes/game (or close) next season. The only question is if it will be due to the absence of Yandle or Staal. It's not common to see AV so quickly trust & play such a young player ... so I think Skeij is a shoe-in.

I fear it will be in place of Yandle, but pray that maybe something can be pulled off that results in M. Staal ending up on another team. Skeij is perfect to replace Staal.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He'll get his 20 minutes/game (or close) next season. The only question is if it will be due to the absence of Yandle or Staal. It's not common to see AV so quickly trust & play such a young player ... so I think Skeij is a shoe-in.

I fear it will be in place of Yandle, but pray that maybe something can be pulled off that results in M. Staal ending up on another team. Skeij is perfect to replace Staal.

Skjei :laugh:

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Was so very exciting for Skjei to play, one of my favorite prospects since he came on. Really happy about his dev and hope he gets some big boy minutes to try next year.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Pretty interesting player, hope he continues to develop. I feel like in some ways you could compare him to John Moore but he seems smarter defensively and more willing to engage and battle with guys in the defensive zone. The key is always going to be puck management in the defensive zone and he seems to be alright at doing that with the eye test so far but it'll still take some developing.

But really he is kind of the the perfect type of defensemen for the NHL these days and can definitely be a very valuable guy with some continued improvement

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I saw the match between USA - Canada this day, and I hope Brady Skjei will have a positive impact for the Rangers next season.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Pretty interesting player, hope he continues to develop. I feel like in some ways you could compare him to John Moore but he seems smarter defensively and more willing to engage and battle with guys in the defensive zone. The key is always going to be puck management in the defensive zone and he seems to be alright at doing that with the eye test so far but it'll still take some developing.

But really he is kind of the the perfect type of defensemen for the NHL these days and can definitely be a very valuable guy with some continued improvement

I see what you're saying, but if Skjei turns out to be John Moore...we're in trouble.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC

I see the comparison but he already seems smarter definsevly and has a stronger body build. John Moore turned out to be a decent number 5-6 defenseman. I think Brady has a higher ceiling though.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I see the comparison but he already seems smarter definsevly and has a stronger body build. John Moore turned out to be a decent number 5-6 defenseman. I think Brady has a higher ceiling though.

Yeah that's what I'm saying and I brought up John Moore because that's someone people compared him to back around the draft, but yes I think he's a smarter player and as I said seems to be better engaged defensively

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Am I the only one that thinks he can be a bigger McD? I think Skjei will have better numbers but not as good on the D side as McD(still really good though). This is in about 3 seasons.
He does not look lost in his zone, he makes really nifty plays with the puck and played both sides for the NYR and RD for team "USA". That is not easy for a first year player that is also a lefty.
Skjei-McI
will be nice

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Am I the only one that thinks he can be a bigger McD? I think Skjei will have better numbers but not as good on the D side as McD(still really good though). This is in about 3 seasons.
He does not look lost in his zone, he makes really nifty plays with the puck and played both sides for the NYR and RD for team "USA". That is not easy for a first year player that is also a lefty.
Skjei-McI
will be nice

I'd be surprised if he ever outscored McDonagh

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
John Moore?? Maybe skating wise.. Skjei is a mini McD.. I think with time he will be just as good..at the very least defensively as McD..

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Bret Hedican is the guy I see him as... look him up... guy was a top 4 guy for many years, with several deep playoff runs and a cup.

Just an absolute beautiful skater that played his position and did his job.

I think Sjkei is much stronger mentally than John Moore, and not soft like that guy. He's a harder working earnest player and not some man child still growing up.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hedican's a good comparison if he doesn't develop an offensive game, but he has McDonagh type potential, if he does. I think he's already improved his offense a lot in the last year. If he can improve it one more notch, he has #1D potential. At worst, I think he's a #2D because he's an elite skater and very good defensively.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Bret Hedican is the guy I see him as... look him up... guy was a top 4 guy for many years, with several deep playoff runs and a cup.

Just an absolute beautiful skater that played his position and did his job.

I think Sjkei is much stronger mentally than John Moore, and not soft like that guy. He's a harder working earnest player and not some man child still growing up.

Hedican is the player he's been most compared to because of his size and skating. Hedican was a severely underrated player in his time.

If Skjei can fit into that mold I'll be thrilled. Anything more than that, such as adding a little more offense to his game, is a bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->