Player Discussion Brady Skjei

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Europeans and Canadians tend to shoot left a lot more than U.S. born players. Nobody really knows why.

(Edit) and a little simple math: 89% of people are right handed and about 65-70% of NHL players shoot left regardless of what a thread/poll on HFB says.

A decent article on it: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/righty-lefty-don-shooting-nhl-puck-article-1.2655568

That article is exactly the sort of insight I was looking for. Awesome find, thank you!

Sorry for the OT, can move these posts wherever if it's too far off, but have there been any prominent "switch-hitters" in hockey?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
85% of HF is going to be right-handed so this is a terrible sample.

It's not a terrible sample, you said rightys shoot left, when that clearly is enough of a sample size to show that only about 50% of rightys shoot left. It has nothing to do with HF boards or not.

And only 12% of the world is left handed, so I don't know what the problem is that 85% of that poll are rightys since its on HF?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
That article is exactly the sort of insight I was looking for. Awesome find, thank you!

Sorry for the OT, can move these posts wherever if it's too far off, but have there been any prominent "switch-hitters" in hockey?
Gordie Howe apparently used a straight blade and could shoot both ways.

Trhg3mRl.jpg

I'm kind of surprised we don't see some centermen switch handedness for a faceoff on their wrong side.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I've played hockey for many years and I think the beer league #'s are about the same as the NHL - 2/3 of the people that play shoot left for whatever reason.

Also, 65-70% of all hockey sticks sold worldwide are LH sticks. 90% of people are right handed.

This article from 2010 (and others that I've seen) show U.S. players are more likely to shoot right than European/Canadian players. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/sports/olympics/16lefty.html

It's interesting. FWIW, I shoot left in golf, too, despite being RH.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
In Canada and Europe the dominant hand stays on top.

Bergeron is a true lefty, Babcock loves that in his line up.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's amazing so many people on here know how they shoot when I was told that 90% of HF DOESN'T EVEN WATCH THE GAME.

I'm right-handed and a lefty-shot, btw.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I don't play hockey because I can't skate. That being said, when I am fencing, I use a righthanded grip, but when I do karate, I primarily use my left hand when doing weapons work. So I guess I can do either?

But since I don't play hockey, feel free to disregard my comments around HF in the future :naughty:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't play hockey because I can't skate. That being said, when I am fencing, I use a righthanded grip, but when I do karate, I primarily use my left hand when doing weapons work. So I guess I can do either?

But since I don't play hockey, feel free to disregard my comments around HF in the future :naughty:
Which is your draw hand when you bow hunt?

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Getting back to Skjei. I was pretty down on him through preseason and camp but he keeps getting better and better. Very solid 5-6 huge bonus that he is exempt from expansion.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
In Canada and Europe the dominant hand stays on top.

Bergeron is a true lefty, Babcock loves that in his line up.

I am so surprised that no one seems to know this...

Why is everyone surprised about the it being heavily left handed shots over right?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I am so surprised that no one seems to know this...

Why is everyone surprised about the it being heavily left handed shots over right?

I can possibly buy the more power argument with this method...but it really seems that accuracy would be affected having your dominant hand so much further from the puck.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It gets tricky when you don't necessarily have a "dominant" hand. I write, cut, play paddle/racket sports and a few other things left-handed. I throw, bat, shoot, swing, kick and do most other things right-handed. I also shoot right-handed. And unlike most things where I have someone degree of ambidexterity, it feels awful to shoot left-handed. It's actually my feet and midsection that feel the most "wrong" when shooting lefty. My upper body feels okay.

I think there are quite a few things that go into determining which hand you shoot with. It's more than just your dominant hand, I think.

EDIT: My father shares almost the exact same incongruous hand use patterns as me. However, he shoots left in hockey--but right in golf. Go figure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad