Brad Marchand jumps Lars Eller part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
LOL wait what? Why would the Caps be happy?

We're supposed to be happy our guy isn't out with an injury and that's comparable to the B's having a guy who should be suspended netting 2 points? Weird equivalency there.
whats the record of guys getting the instigator or the aggressor getting suspended in the NHL for a fight ?

i

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Just watched the entire sequence, and Marchand was definitely in the wrong. Maybe Eller shouldn't have had words with the bench, but Marchand trying to show Eller that he should be more respectful by jumping him without even so much as a challenge is peak Marchand (read: f***ing stupid). If either of them deserves any respect for that it's Eller for trying to square up and have a go anyway despite having been suckered.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Point stands.
Eller isn’t in Marchands league when it comes to physical altercations. Call it fighter or just being a weasel with a severe case of little man syndrome, Marchand should have been suspended for what he did.
so fighter and weasel are not synomymous ?

man I learn something new everyday. And I asked another poster, what's the track record of guys getting suspended for an instigator penalty ? methinks, its pretty thin. but sure lets suspend one of the bruins better/softer players because he punched up against a bigger guy who ended up counting sheep. seems entirely fair.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I love how BOS fans got on Kadri for laying out a hit on their player. But couldn't smell their own poop with Marchand constantly running around pulling this kind of crap.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
Hopefully the Bruins players get the counseling they need to get over too many goals scored on them in hockeyball. In the future perhaps the NHL can automatically end games after 3-0 so on one feels bad

I’ve heard the NHL has a new trophy this year for the team the loses in the finals too.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
whats the record of guys getting the instigator or the aggressor getting suspended in the NHL for a fight ?

i
I mean I think using past precedent isn't really relevant now because the NHL is trying to argue that player safety is evolving.

In 2002 I'm probably not making this argument because it is a different league and the messaging around it is different. But if we're going to be consistent and say shennanigans like Wilson's need to be booted from the game, I don't really get why this is allowed.

Like for as bad as some of the Wilson hits are, they are still in the context of hockey plays. The sport is fast so a fraction of a second and inch is literally the difference between a clean hard hit and a dirty one. So if we're rightfully holding guys who make those hits accountable because the argument is player safety and respect, how the hell is a thing like this not a slam dunk?

We see an unwilling combatant jumped and we see several direct blows to his head. In the Wilson hit you had people saying that Sundqvist put himself in that position by skating with his head down, but the consensus seemed to be that even if that's the case the onus is still on Wilson to have respect and protect his fellow players. In this case people are saying saying Eller deserved it for celebrating, again I ask even if that's true why is the onus not on Marchand to respect and protect his fellow players if he doesn't want to fight?

The issue is there is a glaring double standard regarding player health in fights vs player health in actual game hits. And let me be clear this is not me making an argument against the Wilson ruling, to the contrary this is me saying the idea is valid, it's just shoddy execution because it's literally only being applied to situations where it's part of the game and not deliberate assault.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
Uh... 6'3 vs 5'9... intent to injure... sad nonsense.

If anything Eller needs to look at himself. He must be utterly embarrassed. The only player in the NHL who cannot handle midget Marchy?

Domi got two games for blowing up Ekblads nose with ONE punch because Ekblad didn’t want to fight, Marchand pops Eller 4 times before he dropped his gloves and because Eller didn’t go down there’s is no suspension. Defending yourself against being punched in the face and actually wanting to fight someone are not the same thing. Eller didn’t want to fight any more than Ekblad did, only difference was that Ekblad went down easier.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Funny coming from Marchand who taunted the Canucks bench a few times during a blowout regular season game in 2013. I guess it was ok cause the Bruins were losing that one.

Lowrez

Oct 10, 2007
Maine
Funny coming from Marchand who taunted the Canucks bench a few times during a blowout regular season game in 2013. I guess it was ok cause the Bruins were losing that one.

And if someone had popped him for it it wouldn't have been a surprise...

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I mean I think using past precedent isn't really relevant now because the NHL is trying to argue that player safety is evolving.

In 2002 I'm probably not making this argument because it is a different league and the messaging around it is different. But if we're going to be consistent and say shennanigans like Wilson's need to be booted from the game, I don't really get why this is allowed.

Like for as bad as some of the Wilson hits are, they are still in the context of hockey plays. The sport is fast so a fraction of a second and inch is literally the difference between a clean hard hit and a dirty one. So if we're rightfully holding guys who make those hits accountable because the argument is player safety and respect, how the hell is a thing like this not a slam dunk?

We see an unwilling combatant jumped and we see several direct blows to his head. In the Wilson hit you had people saying that Sundqvist put himself in that position by skating with his head down, but the consensus seemed to be that even if that's the case the onus is still on Wilson to have respect and protect his fellow players. In this case people are saying saying Eller deserved it for celebrating, again I ask even if that's true why is the onus not on Marchand to respect and protect his fellow players if he doesn't want to fight?

The issue is there is a glaring double standard regarding player health in fights vs player health in actual game hits. And let me be clear this is not me making an argument against the Wilson ruling, to the contrary this is me saying the idea is valid, it's just shoddy execution because it's literally only being applied to situations where it's part of the game and not deliberate assault.
The point you make is very valid! Well said! There is politics lurking about in the background on these matters. Consistency is not the goal!
Everyone saying Eller deserved it is a hypocrite because that's 'old time hockey' mentality. On ice justice is being phased out ,so this cannot be tolerated... Eller could have/may have suffered more damage than Sundquist,so 20 games and loss of pay for Marchand would send the message that the League isn't dickin' around! But we all know that isn't going to happen. Yet both acts are a disregard of players safety!

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
LOL wait what? Why would the Caps be happy?

We're supposed to be happy our guy isn't out with an injury and that's comparable to the B's having a guy who should be suspended netting 2 points? Weird equivalency there.
Yes.

3 points for Marchand now. Clearly he has great karma and the hockey gods love him. Who are the Caps fans to rise against the gods?

Stand up for your team and ye shall receive.

Eller has learned the hard way that if you wave to the bench you'll receive a punch in the face.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I love how BOS fans got on Kadri for laying out a hit on their player. But couldn't smell their own poop with Marchand constantly running around pulling this kind of crap.

I love how Leafs fans are still upset about losing in the playoffs and pretending that a standard fight is anything like what Kadri did.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
What does height have to do with anything?
Jet Li is 5’5. You wanna go up against him?
Eller isn’t a fighter, Marchand is.
Marchand jumped Eller over something ratboy Marchand does regularly.
Wait til Wilson returns. [mod]
Marchand couldn't beat Subban. He's not a fighter. Eller apparently is less of one

Last edited by a moderator:

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I love how Leafs fans are still upset about losing in the playoffs and pretending that a standard fight is anything like what Kadri did.
Sure a standard fight, where you punch a guy who's not fight you. Got it. Unfortunately, this fight is just another notch in Marchand's belt in his pursuit of the NHL record for the most suspensions.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Sure a standard fight, where you punch a guy who's not fight you. Got it. Unfortunately, this fight is just another notch in Marchand's belt in his pursuit of the NHL record for the most suspensions.

Eller threw two punches

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
All I want is some consistency from the dops. Give Wilson 20 fine, I get it, but this gets zero? Give me a f***ing break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->