Post-Game Talk: "Bounces didn't go our way"

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Pretty uninspired effort from more than half the team for more than half the game.
Like half the effort from last week.

Jones was pretty good.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Some of the over reactions here wow..they arent going to win every game. We are down our top 2 defensemen and still in a pretty comfortable playoff spot, and had just come off winning 4 of the last 5 games against some good teams including TB. Its not the end people.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
I like Campbell's attitude. He said after the game:

"I just think (Sharks goaltender Martin) Jones outplayed me. Bottom line. I'm not happy about that I feel responsible for this one,"

"When the second intermission came around I thought we had weathered the storm. But I wasn't able to shut the door on them."

Seems like he's way more accountable than Andersen even though he didn't play that poorly. I don't see Freddie owning up to losses like this.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

"I just think (Sharks goaltender Martin) Jones outplayed me. Bottom line. I'm not happy about that I feel responsible for this one,"

"When the second intermission came around I thought we had weathered the storm. But I wasn't able to shut the door on them."

Seems like he's way more accountable than Andersen even though he didn't play that poorly. I don't see Freddie owning up to losses like this.
Yeah deflecting the blame away from the team there. Good on him. :thumbu:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Because Sandin has really struggled lately even more then Lilly.
Not true, they just don't want Lil rotting in the press box, smart to interchange the two rookies with Rosen looking passable as a D man.

Everything doesn't have to be a compare and contrast...at least to some of us I suppose.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The last line I would be criticizing last night is the Matthews, Marner, Hyman line, which dominated in their end all night and was really the only positive.

Reactions: Rogie and ACC1224

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Exactly, good on Campbell to own it! He played really well tho, especially in that 2nd period where the score could have been 5 or 6 to 1.

Reactions: qqaz

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Marincin is playing far too aggressively, I hate him.

Kerfoot is absolutely lost on the 2nd line, should be anchoring the 3rd.

Nylander has looked great this year but that could have been his worst game. Allergic to the puck, was trying to let it come to him instead of going out and getting it.

Tavares absolutely needs to work with Underhill in the summer, you can’t be as slow as he is. He needed to be stronger on the puck last night, normally a strength but he was very weak.

Marner is probably the most frustrating player on the team, he’s meek without the puck, turns it over constantly, tries stupid selfish plays regularly. He used to have a non-stop motor and didn’t giveaway the puck half as much (already career high in giveaways this year). Paying a small passing winger as much as he demanded was a mistake.

Matthews wasn’t as competitive as I’d like but he doesn’t turn it over much and he’s generating shots/chances that would normally go in.

Spezza, Kap, Goat, Malgin and Holl has rough nights, but not significantly enough to cost us.

I thought Rosen, Hyman, Campbell and Clifford had good games. We’re not winning much when those 4 are some of our better guys lmao

Reactions: Al14

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'll admit that I didn't watch this one, mostly due to the start time. So I won't comment on specific players' performances.

But it doesn't sound like they got entirely outplayed. Sometimes you lose a game based on a single period where the other team pours it on, or maybe the bounces really don't go your way.

No reason to panic. The media was hyping up a 3-0 road trip, which was an unreasonable expectation. Losing one of them was never going to be a disaster. As long as the team wins in LA, then everything is still on track.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
JT line was awful. Nylander seems to react late so he doesn't have to get to the boards first. It's weird because he's actually good at working along the boards when he does do it. Kerfoot does nothing... Only 3 more years on that contract..

Campbell with a great 2nd period but those 2 quick goals were the difference.

the last few games Willie seems to be falling back into those lazy habits of, stick fishing, forgetting about the back-check, backing off of races to fore-check. On Marincin's goal the other night Nylander was open hanging up on the blueline, and JT decided to make the lateral pass to Marv the great generator of offense, seemed curious to me.

Well, he is not far off. Tavares has been a big disappointment.

no words

Is that a backhanded way of blaming Marner for the loss?

sure felt like it didn't it
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I didn't see the 3rd at all, the Leafs up until that point seemed to have mostly everything under control, some normal lackadaisical stuff in their own end which is bothersome, but for the most part they were pushing the pace without generating 2nd and 3rd chances. They cannot play like that nor be that team, they need to be on top of it, they need to be in control at both ends of the ice and mostly they need to show the will and desire to get the puck over the redline.

It's tough sledding in front of the net and few of them seem willing to pay the price. Net front presence is key to getting those 2nd and 3rd chances(I'm not talking about sliding in behind the D on the backside for tap in's) engage the Dman and create a distraction get the goaltender swimming and looking for pucks.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It was all night hockey for me on the coach. First Tampa v Bruins. then our Leafs.

To me when we play against bigger teams who stop us in neutral zone and force us to the outside we really struggle. and the faster the team is the harder time we have. Canes being really really bad matchup. Sharks are not quite as fast so we had a few chances. But these type of teams just keep us to the outside. Sure we have possession but nothing productive comes from it. The Kings are big but not as fast as Sharks so I think we will be able to create quite a bit more. It is not that we are not working - we are. It is just a bad matchup with our personnel.

Like Campbell's response post game and he was right. Jones outgoalied Campbell. The 2nd and 3rd goals just can't go in in the NHL. The 2nd especially no one should beat you from behind the net when you can't get to the post fast enough to cover it off. Our goaltending is ok but not great. A little better game and maybe we get a loser point. But that said it was not the main reason. Our forwards reverted to past bad habits on defensive end which I expected. Our defenders showed their inexperience which was bound to occur.

Tavares is not an end to end skater. Never has been. This possession system is new/hard for him. He is used to 2 big wingers creating down low on boards and then helping them cycle and to net to finish. We don't have personnel to help him play that game. Last year Hyman helped him do it. and Marner made more flashy plays for tap ins. This guy Kerfoot is a complete waste of time with JT. Willy is ok because he can hold puck longer and let JT get into position. Although Willy was off last night. Either Hyman or Mik but a bigger man who can create is required. Again this is not JT not trying. Hopefully Keefe can see it more clearly. I guess he will.

This playing with puck at offensive blueline thing with Keefe is not normal. and it leads to 2on1's like last night where we hang our goalie out to dry. I get we want possession but a bad pass in that spot leaves the D in a really really bad spot. I am not a fan of possession in offensive end like this. But again it is driven by personnel and teams like SJ just push us away from kill zone all the time. I think it needs to be reevaluated against certain types of teams.

Last night we would have been better off dumping it in and coming back hard in our end and playing a 2-2 tie type of game. Our skill we create a couple goals like it did last night. and we could have plodded along and got a loser point. Every point counts. Fortunately Kings and Ducks are slower than Sharks so I think we can play this way and still get the 4 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad