Post-Game Talk: "Bounces didn't go our way"

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
well...positive takeaways from last night: Matthews looks like the player that he was before the Trouba hit and has for a few weeks now. Campbell gives me a hell of a lot more confidence than Hutchison did, nice calm composure and always in position like Andersen is when he's on, that's a big hole that's plugged for a while. Dermott continues to look like he's worthy of the role that he's playing now, which I think there's an argument to say is the #1D role in the last few games...he was always a good bet to right the ship given what he did in his first two seasons, but another top 4 D who's reliable in his own end and physical is another huge hole filled if he continues this and especially if he can play the right side.

Agreed

They did not have quite the intensity and drive and desperation that they showed in their 3 wins last week.

that plus a relaxed opponent that came out pumped (I found myself asking “who is this team they are playing, where did they come from?”), with a goalie that made several superlative saves, add to that the mystique of the “shark tank” and the adjustment to the west coast-it led to a not surprising conclusion.

Yes, disappointing that they could not rise above that, despite the breaks not helping.

Biggest need imo, as I’ve worried all along, is some size and sandpaper on our defence-look at St. Louis-you can’t get near their net, every defenceman is a giant! How long until one of our frail defenders (Dermott, Sandin and Barrie) doesn’t recover from their latest plastering against the boards by a rampaging enemy forward?

Desperation needed in two remaining west coast games-just take a look at our schedule after that. Our saving grace may be the pathetic state of the Panthers (imagine playing in that environment what with arena half full, ownership trading prime player away for nothing because budget needs cutting).
"stout" is a better description of Dermott than "frail", he's built like Rielly. He does get run from behind a lot which is apparently legal against the Leafs, but he fits the stylistic mold of what you say you're looking for - strong, physical, etc. He's just a little bigger than Vince Dunn who looks to be a big part of St. Louis's future on LD

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i honestly don't know why y'all were watching the San Jose game to begin with.
we almost always look like hot garbage vs. San Jose.

Reactions: mclaren55

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
He's too easily knocked off the puck. It's getting comical
Yes
This preference for small, smurf like skilled players is showing its warts (Dennis Malgin being the latest example). So many of our Leafs are being knocked off the puck at will, it’s especially worrisome when it’s one of our defense in a dangerous area.

Sad but toughness and will to win can be present but body size can be the key

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Honestly, I thought we played okay tonight for the most part. They had a stretch in the 2nd where they had us on our heels but we fended it off. Two very shitty and lucky bounces for them combined with some shitty bounces that didn’t go our way including almost tying the game at 3 but instead they go down the ice and score was the deciding factor. Thought the Leafs actually looked pretty good for a decent part of the game, Jones made some decent saves too. Honestly guys, I know everyone is gonna freak out but we can’t freak out over shit like this. It’s one thing if we were terrible, but we weren’t at all, far from it. Some guys need to adjust their game, definitely Marner even though his goal was absolutely disgusting. We’ll be good boys. I feel back to back wins in LA and Anaheim are upon us. Let’s hold our heads up high and try not being the most bipolar fan base on the face of the earth. See you guys Thursday, get ready for a dub. Cheers!

GLG!!!

Holy cow thank God for this post...I'm going stop reading this thread now.

Reactions: SnizzNasty16

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
He does get run from behind a lot which is apparently legal against the Leafs, but he fits the stylistic mold of what you say you're looking for - strong, physical, etc. He's just a little bigger than Vince Dunn who looks to be a big part of St. Louis's future on LD

Dermott isn't doing himself any favors going down like he's been shot then skating away perfectly fine 5 seconds later.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
I find Tavares just mediocre. He's not a bad player. He tips alot of pucks in and scores in front of the net. Good shot. Other than that he's just meh. Not great speed. Hands are okay. Decision making is questionable this year atleast. Not earning his worth thats for sure. Thought AM shoulda been captain. JT is going to turn into Phaneuf he can't handle it but pretends he can.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Dermott isn't doing himself any favors going down like he's been shot then skating away perfectly fine 5 seconds later.
I guess, he does get run a lot from behind though which is what should be in the infraction, the injury outcome shouldn't have an effect but it clearly does

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I find Tavares just mediocre. He's not a bad player. He tips alot of pucks in and scores in front of the net. Good shot. Other than that he's just meh. Not great speed. Hands are okay. Decision making is questionable this year atleast. Not earning his worth thats for sure. Thought AM shoulda been captain. JT is going to turn into Phaneuf he can't handle it but pretends he can.

This year sure but last year he was a much more impactful player for us. A lot of the year he was better than Matthews. This year it has never been close. And when JT isn't scoring he doesn't bring anything else. No grit, not great defensively, gives the puck away.

He needs to regroup this offseason and realize that this season is not acceptable, and it will be a very long 5 years for him in TO if he doesn't rebound.

Reactions: LeafsRus
Sep 18, 2009
He is too slow for the current NHL

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dermy is a good Ontario trained hockey player. He gets up close to boards to absorb the blow. When he goes down he gets up as quick as he can and then to bench. Often you see stars for a second and you lose your sense of balance. You do a quick double check to make sure you are ok. This is the right way to handle head hits. What is more troubling is why guys are elbowing him in head into glass. and why are these refs letting it go? It is troubling.

Reactions: Rogie and LeafsRus

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He is too slow for the current NHL
He went #1 overall in draft. He was granted exceptional status in junior. But bottom line he was never ever fast even as a kid. He wins with skill and IQ. This Leaf team needs to find him another LW like Hyman. He will be fine. Last year we had the Toronto guys playing together and they know how to play Toronto hockey. It worked great. Willy is fine on that line because he likes to hold pucks and that works great with JT who needs the extra time to get open.

Matty needs a Hyman type too. He does not like to get dirty for pucks in corners either. Hopefully Mik can help us out with Matty when he gets back. Mitch works well with Matty because they play give and go together. Matty likes to move puck quick with passes and get it back fast too.

Try
Hyman JT Willy
Mik Matty Mitch

Worth a shot. But get Kerfoot off. He is a waste of time as he does not bring the needed skills to the table for JT or Matty. They need puck battlers and retrievers.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This year sure but last year he was a much more impactful player for us. A lot of the year he was better than Matthews. This year it has never been close. And when JT isn't scoring he doesn't bring anything else. No grit, not great defensively, gives the puck away.

He needs to regroup this offseason and realize that this season is not acceptable, and it will be a very long 5 years for him in TO if he doesn't rebound.

honestly, (and i'm not using it as an excuse, just a matter of perspective) - JT is such a creature of habit and what not, i wonder if the baby is throwing off how he prepares etc, cultivating in a mediocre, unacceptable season (by the standards by everyone). he does have to be a lot better, and I think he'd be the first to tell you that, and it wouldn't surprise me if next year he will be

Welcome back to the board. You've been missed.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Agreed

They did not have quite the intensity and drive and desperation that they showed in their 3 wins last week.

that plus a relaxed opponent that came out pumped (I found myself asking “who is this team they are playing, where did they come from?”), with a goalie that made several superlative saves, add to that the mystique of the “shark tank” and the adjustment to the west coast-it led to a not surprising conclusion.

Yes, disappointing that they could not rise above that, despite the breaks not helping.

Biggest need imo, as I’ve worried all along, is some size and sandpaper on our defence-look at St. Louis-you can’t get near their net, every defenceman is a giant! How long until one of our frail defenders (Dermott, Sandin and Barrie) doesn’t recover from their latest plastering against the boards by a rampaging enemy forward?

Desperation needed in two remaining west coast games-just take a look at our schedule after that. Our saving grace may be the pathetic state of the Panthers (imagine playing in that environment what with arena half full, ownership trading prime player away for nothing because budget needs cutting).

Dubas idea did not anticipate strong men outwilling boys. He did not anticipate willpower seeping from his players after getting hit, bucked, and roughed up without anyone returning the favour.

He reversed this ideology with Clifford. But we need real D MEN. Thats going to cost us.
But if we get some crash and Bang at the Blue line. Our forwards might do the job.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dubas idea did not anticipate strong men outwilling boys. He did not anticipate willpower seeping from his players after getting hit, bucked, and roughed up without anyone returning the favour.

He reversed this ideology with Clifford. But we need real D MEN. Thats going to cost us.
But if we get some crash and Bang at the Blue line. Our forwards might do the job.
Great post. Best chance at that in 2 years after mega US cable deal done and CAP skyrockets.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Not true, they just don't want Lil rotting in the press box, smart to interchange the two rookies with Rosen looking passable as a D man.

Everything doesn't have to be a compare and contrast...at least to some of us I suppose.
Or, need an explanation for everything that shows management in a positive light?

Reactions: ACC1224

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Or everything in a negative light.

Ah, my shadow has arrived.

Why doesn't my shadow go through my last 20 posts and point out all of those "negative light" posts.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Ah, my shadow has arrived.
What shadow? Huh?

I've replied to very few of your posts, and believe me, there is a veritable wasteland of kneeslappers to choose from.to choose from. I usually laugh, shake my head, and move on.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
What shadow? Huh?

I've replied to very few of your posts, and believe me, there is a veritable wasteland of kneeslappers to choose from.to choose from. I usually laugh, shake my head, and move on.

You = shadow = stalker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad