Post-Game Talk: "Bounces didn't go our way"

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Honestly, I thought we played okay tonight for the most part. They had a stretch in the 2nd where they had us on our heels but we fended it off. Two very shitty and lucky bounces for them combined with some shitty bounces that didn’t go our way including almost tying the game at 3 but instead they go down the ice and score was the deciding factor. Thought the Leafs actually looked pretty good for a decent part of the game, Jones made some decent saves too. Honestly guys, I know everyone is gonna freak out but we can’t freak out over shit like this. It’s one thing if we were terrible, but we weren’t at all, far from it. Some guys need to adjust their game, definitely Marner even though his goal was absolutely disgusting. We’ll be good boys. I feel back to back wins in LA and Anaheim are upon us. Let’s hold our heads up high and try not being the most bipolar fan base on the face of the earth. See you guys Thursday, get ready for a dub. Cheers!

GLG!!!

Agreed for the most part. There were a few passengers but it was a decent team effort overall.

Campbell was fantastic again.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I like Campbell's attitude. He said after the game:

"I just think (Sharks goaltender Martin) Jones outplayed me. Bottom line. I'm not happy about that I feel responsible for this one,"

"When the second intermission came around I thought we had weathered the storm. But I wasn't able to shut the door on them."

Seems like he's way more accountable than Andersen even though he didn't play that poorly. I don't see Freddie owning up to losses like this.
Yup total opposites, Campbell always blames himself while Andersen always blames the team.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Agreed for the most part. There were a few passengers but it was a decent team effort overall.

Campbell was fantastic again.
Fantastic is not right word. He played ok overall but as he said he got outgoalied. The 2nd and 3rd goals should not happen in the NHL. He played great in 2nd period.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I'll admit that I didn't watch this one, mostly due to the start time. So I won't comment on specific players' performances.

But it doesn't sound like they got entirely outplayed. Sometimes you lose a game based on a single period where the other team pours it on, or maybe the bounces really don't go your way.

No reason to panic. The media was hyping up a 3-0 road trip, which was an unreasonable expectation. Losing one of them was never going to be a disaster. As long as the team wins in LA, then everything is still on track.

It really was the bounces. The funny thing is the Sharks poured it on in the 2nd period and the Leafs battled well, outscoring the Sharks 2-1 despite being outshot 18-6. The 3rd, and eventual GWG was a bad bounce. Such is life somtimes.

Reactions: qqaz

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Fantastic is not right word. He played ok overall but as he said he got outgoalied. The 2nd and 3rd goals should not happen in the NHL. He played great in 2nd period.
Do you mean the 4th? It was late so I may not remember but wasn't the 3rd Kanes snipe on the 2 on 1?

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
16-3 shots in the 2nd period tells you all you need to know about our effort level this game.

Feel bad for Campbell. They hung him out to dry BIG time

Reactions: ToMaLe

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Kane's snipe no goalie is saving that one. It was a missile in the kill zone top shelf. I could swore it was 4th goal but I could be wrong.
Just checked, Kane got the 4th. 50 seconds after Noesen scored the 3rd.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It really was the bounces. The funny thing is the Sharks poured it on in the 2nd period and the Leafs battled well, outscoring the Sharks 2-1 despite being outshot 18-6. The 3rd, and eventual GWG was a bad bounce. Such is life somtimes.
It was a bad bounce for sure but where is the communication from the D. Heh Soup pucking is bouncing to ur left side. or even turning ur head after shot to watch bounce. I mean getting caught on wrong side of net was poor positioning. At least stay in the middle at minimum.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

Should not happen as in he should expect odd bounces off the glass? I honestly don't know how you blame him (or any goalie) for those two. The literally bounced off the boards and right to spots by the posts.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Should not happen as in he should expect odd bounces off the glass? I honestly don't know how you blame him (or any goalie) for those two. The literally bounced off the boards and right to spots by the posts.
It went off glass not boards and puck was on its side but it was shot from far side of ice so it was going to bounce to his left side. He should have got over faster to that side. A better goalie makes that save most of time. I am not blaming him for loss but that was not great goaltending. and then a team scores on you from behind net where again you did not get to your post fast enough well again not great goaltending either. Sorry but call spade a spade. We have not been getting top flight goaltending except earlier on in the season.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
All in all it wasn't really a big loss. It's just annoying that they had a golden chance to create more separation, and only a couple players decided to show up

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
After just watching the game now I’m gonna say the most detrimental player this game was... Holl!
Bad defending. Bad IQ all around.
Runner up was Tavares.
Some players were good and bad like Matthews and Mitch where guys like Hyman and Engvall worked hard but didn’t get the results they deserved.
Special merit award in futility for Spezza as well tonight in failing on the complicated plays and missing in the simple plays.
Nobody was terrible I suppose but Holl was really off and needs to get it together.
I liked Marincin in this game lol.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Stew record 2-1 not bad. Campbell played unreal but had 2 bad bounces and a tip go in it happens.

Matthews marner played good but marner still t fancy fancy.

Nylander was invisible but so was his line.

Besides marincins bad pinch I liked his game to

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Lol. Mister backup who have wins against Ducks and Ottawa is suddenly Mirtle fans favorite goalie :D

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
Mike Babcock tried unsuccessfully for years to get this team to be more responsible in their own end of the ice and the new coach is having the same fate. Some are unwilling to win puck battles along the boards and some are simply unable. It was painful to see how easily Kerfoot was knocked off the puck behind his own goal line. This applies just as much if not more to the forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: stuart5035

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Disappointing loss

Things didn't run our way but we certainly didn't make things easy for ourselves with the effort in the 2nd

The game was there for the winning as well

Oh well, on to the nxt one
Agreed

They did not have quite the intensity and drive and desperation that they showed in their 3 wins last week.

that plus a relaxed opponent that came out pumped (I found myself asking “who is this team they are playing, where did they come from?”), with a goalie that made several superlative saves, add to that the mystique of the “shark tank” and the adjustment to the west coast-it led to a not surprising conclusion.

Yes, disappointing that they could not rise above that, despite the breaks not helping.

Biggest need imo, as I’ve worried all along, is some size and sandpaper on our defence-look at St. Louis-you can’t get near their net, every defenceman is a giant! How long until one of our frail defenders (Dermott, Sandin and Barrie) doesn’t recover from their latest plastering against the boards by a rampaging enemy forward?

Desperation needed in two remaining west coast games-just take a look at our schedule after that. Our saving grace may be the pathetic state of the Panthers (imagine playing in that environment what with arena half full, ownership trading prime player away for nothing because budget needs cutting).

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad