Post-Game Talk: "Bounces didn't go our way"

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
This team is full of losers.... feels bad man.

I have created 50+ theories.
Once again ( all theories are Proprietary)
I created 2 that identify the entire goal diff Human machine action SOE ( sequence of event) actions that show the large affect +/-ve actions.
50 yr ago as a high function autistic child ( recently established) I noticed the violence of Clarke, Leach, Stoughton Flin Flon Bombers was about attacking and defending in front of the Net.
Homeplate.

45+ yr ago, playing road hockey with a younger Ron Gunville ( Player Personell director PA Raiders WHL champs), I noticed he moved with the ball, the ball hit him at a high rate.
The ball had 0% chance of going in.

the 2 Nd half of Goal diff analysis is exclusion of all closed shots driven by elite defencemen.
They establish an xsave% to each side for a goalie to perform around. Elite 0% Corsi Dmen like Languay, Stevens, Russell.

Their are hybrid forward/ Dmen ( Rovers) who abandon def of Homeplate to their defensive side to try to generate evg production by occupying forward space stealing forward pocession.
They generate evg/60 at a #11 to PB forward pace.
Only 6 each yr generate Evp/60 at a better than 4 th line forward pace.

They yeild a high% of free path attacks to their abandoned side of Homeplate.

As a result they yeild high% of high success density SH% open shots to their side.

they have very bad evga/60 rates to Rovers side.

Toronto runs a high % of 3F - 1R -1D -1G structure.

When I looked at years of playoff performance teams with high 3F -2D - 1G structure% make final 4 7 of every 8 years.

you can win a cup as a #28 GF team.
But are usually not final 4 if you are not a top GA team.

when you look at the top Orgs.
Competing for Championships ( final 4)
They are high% of one type of structure teams.

Since 2000; Ottawa is the best Cdn Org.
3 Conf finals and 1 Conf Championship.

It is funny though that TSN and Sportsnet, Considers making the playoffs and making the owners money multiple years is better than competing for and winning championships.

bad for the fans!
I feel for you!
Not Steve Dangke though!
I pointed out my 2 theories on his YouTube comments section,
He ignored the basis for all hockey analytics.

Toronto trained MSM presented an article calling the most Championship Competative Canadian Organization an embarrassment.
Re from the 70’s show needs to walk up to them and say something.

Right up their when Servelli said Toronto is good a GF but bad at GA.
Button Mocked him!
Understood right away why Button failed as a GM!

Toronto like Calgary runs a high rover based structure.
Have bottom 5 Open shot defence.

When you look at edm 4 season of heavy 3-2-1 structure seasons.
05-06 Conf Champ
06-07 no playoffs.
16-17 2 clear goalie interference non calls cost them a final 4.
19/20 Injuries are slowing their results.

They have 4 top 60 open HD shot reduction Dmen.
Larsson, Benning, Russell, Jones.
And
EVGA results are only being dragged down by bottom level Rovers Nurse, Bear, Klefbom.

Go onto a Analytic Calculator site like Nat Stat trick.
They are important for the fans. But.
“Guys who create calculators are not creating hockey analytics theory.”

Evga/60 is reflective of the path of puck from release count to outcome.
Look at def pairs and dmens evga/60.

Corsi - (blocks + forced misses + closed shots ( hit goalie)) = open shots.
Open shots = goalie saves + goals

GF and GA are not luck.
They are a reflection of the battle between Opp forwards and home 2D - 1G.
A sequence of events as early as Rover leaving Homeplate to attack are the direct generator ( quite often) Of small sequence of events around the net on rovers abandoned side leading to a goal.

A lot of the time the Rover is one of the 2 last skaters and often changes, forcing another Dmen to try to re establish 2D - 1G def of homeplate.

Noesens was in a better position on a Rover side cause of structure.
Not Luck!
Pure multivariable human machine action SOE ( sequence of event) operational science.

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Yes with that line up of D-men.

If that’s the case it’s lights out either way.

The forwards also need to play with more assertiveness in their own zone...passes need to be done with more conviction and accuracy...too loose too often in their own end.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I was thinking how everything was going okay until Holl and Marincin made a couple nice plays and felt hype about themselves.

They were then a train wreck for the rest of the game after trying to do too much and the team seemed to follow the trend.

Marner's goal was absolutely sick but it sums up how everyone tried to play. Too cute. Dumb light passes instead of shooting or trying to create a rebound. Trying to dangle through people instead of getting the puck through or posting up etc (Tavares does this lately and obviously Holl went doughty-lite again trying to go end to end).

Reactions: Rogie

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
When we look at last decade of Cup champions.
Almost all the 4 wins in all the series are 2.00 GAA or less being as low as .75 GAA

With roughly 100 ev in needed to diferentiate evga/60 in a season.
99 ev min is top 301 dpair.
2.55 evga/60 is median ( middle)

Looking at qualified def pairs:
Russell - Benning #6 0.90 evga/60
Marincin - Holl #22 1.18 evga/60
Hainsey - Goloubef #23 1.19
Klefbom - Russell #37 1.50
Jones - Larsson #57 1.75
Russell - Larsson #64 1.82
——————————————- 2.00
Jones - Russell #87 2.09
Ceci - Reilly #92 2.13
Klefbom - Larsson #151 2.55 evga/60
Ceci - Dermott #151 2.55
—————————————— 2.55
Holl - Dermott #178 2.78
Muzzin - Holl #212 3.00
Muzzin - Barrie #227 3.22 bottom 75
Nurse - Bear #234 3.31 Bottom 70
Barrie - Rielly #262 3.73 bottom 40
Sandin - Barrie #290 4.66 bottom 12
Klefbom - Jones 299 5.21 bottom 3

Benning has a Lot of partners in the 75 min range all in the top 5 Oiler def pairs.
3 - sub 1.00 evga/60

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
I was thinking how everything was going okay until Holl and Marincin made a couple nice plays and felt hype about themselves.

They were then a train wreck for the rest of the game after trying to do too much and the team seemed to follow the trend.

Marner's goal was absolutely sick but it sums up how everyone tried to play. Too cute. Dumb light passes instead of shooting or trying to create a rebound. Trying to dangle through people instead of getting the puck through or posting up etc (Tavares does this lately and obviously Holl went doughty-lite again trying to go end to end).

Nice blaming your best def Dmen when your awful def Dmen who abandon the def of front of net is your teams problems.

it is a blend of video showing my Homeplate and Open/ closed shot theories.

So shooting a puck at a goalie and hitting them ( 0% chance of going in) ,which is not targeting the open space in net elevation ( greater than 0% chance of going in), to try for a low % chance of a rebound and even lower % chance of retrieval, and even lower % chance of getting a shot off, and even lower% chance of hitting open space in net Elevation.

final 4 teams try not to abandon homeplate but rather try to get the puck to forwards in transition. Cause 310 forwards are far superior at homeplate penetration and open net targeting than all but usually 6 Dmen each yr.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He went #1 overall in draft. He was granted exceptional status in junior. But bottom line he was never ever fast even as a kid. He wins with skill and IQ. This Leaf team needs to find him another LW like Hyman. He will be fine. Last year we had the Toronto guys playing together and they know how to play Toronto hockey. It worked great. Willy is fine on that line because he likes to hold pucks and that works great with JT who needs the extra time to get open.

Matty needs a Hyman type too. He does not like to get dirty for pucks in corners either. Hopefully Mik can help us out with Matty when he gets back. Mitch works well with Matty because they play give and go together. Matty likes to move puck quick with passes and get it back fast too.

Try
Hyman JT Willy
Mik Matty Mitch

Worth a shot. But get Kerfoot off. He is a waste of time as he does not bring the needed skills to the table for JT or Matty. They need puck battlers and retrievers.

How about Malgin instead of Kerfoot? I mean, there's a reason why Dubas traded for him...:sarcasm:

Leafsguard

Feb 1, 2018
Tavares is an average player with good hands around the net .
He is not a star and that contract will haunt them for years.
You know comments like that is the reason why STAR players never wanted to come here. Give JT a break he is making adjustments with being away from his new born, he is just under a point a game 60GP 58PTS. He has had a revolving door of wingers this year. Look I'm the highest paid guy at my work place and i'm not 100% everyday. Chill.
However I must agree with others Kerfoot needs to be stapled to the 3C spot and Keefe needs to learn that, hopefully with reinforsments coming back soon he can reunite the 3rd line

Reactions: Merrrlin

The90

Feb 27, 2017
You know comments like that is the reason why STAR players never wanted to come here. Give JT a break he is making adjustments with being away from his new born, he is just under a point a game 60GP 58PTS. He has had a revolving door of wingers this year. Look I'm the highest paid guy at my work place and i'm not 100% everyday. Chill.
However I must agree with others Kerfoot needs to be stapled to the 3C spot and Keefe needs to learn that, hopefully with reinforsments coming back soon he can reunite the 3rd line
I’ll take a ‘too slow’ point a game guy any day of the week. Thanks. Bit of a down year for sure, but he had 47 and 88 for career highs last year. Sheesh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad