Friedman: Boston Possibly Interested in OEL?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What I took from that quote was they needed to decide between a retool and going for it. OEL or Hall would be indicative of the latter which I'm sure is very much on the table. Honestly I'd consider a rebuild kind of disrespectful to their underpaid veterans.
I agree with you, but wonder about the term OEL comes with (and the young assets and picks he would cost to acquire) and Hall’s term too, when the team’s top two centres are 35. Bruins would be good for 1 or 2 years, but their top guys (excepting Pasta and Mac) would be on the decline. Like Neely said in his interview, the B’s have to make some very hard decisions about where their team really is. Can they retool and be a Cup contender by adding OEL, or are they better off to rebuild around their young guys?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Bostons biggedt need is to improve secondary scoring, and now they lose DeBrusk for s Dman?

Overall that seems pretty high value given the current situation
DeBrusk’s career points per game is 8% higher than OEL’s despite being a forward and playing for the leagues 7th best combined offense since his rookie season. Conversely, OEL has played for the leagues 29th ranked offense since he broke in.

If OEL and Jake DeBrusk traded teams, I’m sure OEL would be the bigger point producer.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have seen a bunch of offers from fans of various teams and the value has been wildly divergent. What needs does your team actually need to fill if they trade OEL?
Personally I think the Coyotes need to use what little trade value they have in their over 25 group to add to their under 22 group.

As for value, I’ll say it’s very easy to spot folks in these threads who’ve never paid attention to OEL’s actually on-ice play. Tons of hot takes from stat googlers.

I’d guess OEL’s value is probably a decent young roster player, a decent pick or prospect, and a contract balancer that doesn’t carry any value and isn’t too long.

Reactions: bernmeister

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Doubtful that would hurt their backend big time, Even gaining OEL while losing Carlo, Chara and Krug is going to hurt big time.
That is what I was thinking. The fans from Boston in this thread seem more concerned with adding up front, which may be a weakness for them in a year or 2 but right now defence looks weak to me.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
OEL is very good.
Chars can return easily on a similar contract he had

There are other Dman they can call up or sign as UFA to replace Krug.
So your saying no to an OEL trade or that with him you are fine?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That is what I was thinking. The fans from Boston in this thread seem more concerned with adding up front, which may be a weakness for them in a year or 2 but right now defence looks weak to me.
Maybe the Bruin fans recognize having your top two centres as 35 year old guys isn’t great going forward?

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Maybe the Bruin fans recognize having your top two centres as 35 year old guys isn’t great going forward?

Bruins fan here. The OEL rumor is perplexing. This team needs wingers on the 2nd line. We have decent depth on D if Chara returns and I suspect he will, though with reduced minutes. Hall makes the most sense to me. Not OEL.

Reactions: Luckylarry

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Arizona is going to have a really hard timing moving OEL and I think their fans are going to be disappointed with the return, particularly because AZ is seemingly not willing to take much if any salary back.

How many teams need a LHD, are in a position to absorb $8.25M in salary - and willing to do that for the next 7 years. And, OEL has a NMC, so he can basically dictate where he goes. And let's not forget teams planning to protect assets in anticipation of the expansion draft.

What teams fit that profile?

Boston - according to people in this thread.
Detroit - but not a contender - would OEL waive?
LA Kings - seems a bit early in the rebuild for this type of move.
Colorado - they really don't have long term cap space and they have a lot of d in the pipeline.
NJD - seems possible actually.
Winnipeg - seems possible - would OEL waive?
NYR - ?

Obviously, there are other options if Arizona will take salary back. But in that case, AZ is going to expect a pretty strong package of assets.

I'd add Vancouver to the list of teams that might be a good fit. Eriksson would have to go the other way to make salary work and it would leave the RHD cupboard a bit bare, but Canucks would be able to run with Hughes or OEL on the ice for 50 minutes per game.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I agree with you, but wonder about the term OEL comes with (and the young assets and picks he would cost to acquire) and Hall’s term too, when the team’s top two centres are 35. Bruins would be good for 1 or 2 years, but their top guys (excepting Pasta and Mac) would be on the decline. Like Neely said in his interview, the B’s have to make some very hard decisions about where their team really is. Can they retool and be a Cup contender by adding OEL, or are they better off to rebuild around their young guys?

Ya the Bruins rarely seem to commit too hard in either direction, see: Lucic, Seguin and Boychuk unloaded from the cup winning team, for a variety of immediate help and futures, I expect them to follow this trend with maybe a bit of a sharper turn to the rebuild or all in mentality than were used to. Just by the comments here.

I don't think they should make big future sacrifices since McAvoy and Pasta are two great franchise cornerstones to rebuild on the fly around. But I'd also be surprised if they let Bergeron and Marchand see out the twilight of their career without pulling off something.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Boston has numerous young players / prospects that I am sure would interest the Coyotes: DeBrusk, Ritchie, Frederic, Senyshyn, Studnika, Vaakanainen, Zboril...

If Tocchet remains coach (please NO) then players from Boston may be even more of interest. Good skating, solid defensively and limited offense.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

At 5 on 5 Krug was trick or treat. And more trick than treat against the best teams.

The Providence Bruins had the 2nd best defense in the AHL last year. The assumption is that one of Zboril or Vaak, the leaders of that team, will be able to step in as a puck mover sheltered by McAvoy/Carlo (knowing that there will be rookie mistakes, but knowing they aren't replacing a known defensive stalwart either).

The guys that actually follow the teams prospects closely (not like the Athletic people) say that, outside of Studnicka, the Bruins just have way better prospects on the backend than the front end, especially on the "near NHL ready" front and especially at LD.

On the power play? Yeah they will likely miss him. That being said, McAvoy has been out producing Krug at 5 on 5 for a few years now despite way tougher matchups. Can that translate to the power play?

The hope is the drop off from Krug to one of the ex-1st round picks that are NHL ready is less than how much making the teams 2nd line a real threat will improve the team.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
OEL is not getting moved unless he requests it. There are alot easier cap fixes on that roster other than their franchise D.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
If Sweeney trades Debrusk, I believe Bruins target Mike Hoffman.
Before the world fell apart I thought they should’ve targeted him at the deadline. Not sure is want him long term though.

As for OEL, didn’t Arizona just come up a little late on some player payments? If any team would be looking to shed salary and pick up guys on entry level deals it’s probably them. Basically meaning Debrusk probably wouldn’t be the guy. Or Carlo for that matter. Think more Vaak, Zboril, picks.

Still not sure Boston should be looking at OEL though. I’d rather they go mid money on a dman and finally fix their second line issues.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Before the world fell apart I thought they should’ve targeted him at the deadline. Not sure is want him long term though.

As for OEL, didn’t Arizona just come up a little late on some player payments? If any team would be looking to shed salary and pick up guys on entry level deals it’s probably them. Basically meaning Debrusk probably wouldn’t be the guy. Or Carlo for that matter. Think more Vaak, Zboril, picks.

Still not sure Boston should be looking at OEL though. I’d rather they go mid money on a dman and finally fix their second line issues.
AZ also just made a long-term offer to Hall.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40

I still believe the reason they were late was logistics. After all the GM just up and quit on them and the owners are still rather new.
I think the 'Yotes are only gauging value and not actively trading OEL. Same with Kuemper. They still haven't gotten a new GM yet.

Reactions: easton117

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad