Friedman: Boston Possibly Interested in OEL?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Who plays centre in two years? Bergeron and Krejci play a lot of key minutes. I think Neely is pointing out the Bruins want to be a Cup level team, and they are not be an OEL addition from beating the other top teams. Neely imo is pretty much telling the Bruin fans the team is looking hard at rebuilding. I agree, that rebuild would be around Pasta and MacAvoy, which speeds things up. But imagine trading future assets (prospects and picks) for OEL, when Neely believes they need to rebuild around the young guys. It’s just not a move h3 would even consider.

I’m personnally on the mind of Hall’s a must add to Boston.
Bergeron/Coyle/Studnicka at C with Pasta, Marchand, Hall driving play from wing.

It would give Sweeney couple of years to find a C replacement and keep the team going

Reactions: BTO

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
What would Arizona get in return?

Debrusk+1st+prospect?

They could probably do better.

If I had to guess, it would be Vaakainen involved. Vaak+Frederic+1st?

I think Grecylk is underrated around here, and I know he's an RFA. Tough to see him moving the same year as Krug, but he'd be a LD possibility going back.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Maybe because Krug wants 7 x 8 and Sweeney wont give him that much. But yet he'd trade for OEL making $8,25m for the foreseeable future.

Why is that so hard to believe? They think OEL is worth it and Krug isn't.

The thing to note with OEL is that he has an NMC. If Arizona wants to get rid of him, he can dictate the location.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I’m personnally on the mind of Hall’s a must add to Boston.
Bergeron/Coyle/Studnicka at C with Pasta, Marchand, Hall driving play from wing.

It would give Sweeney couple of years to find a C replacement and keep the team going
Boston with another real finisher and no Krug to abuse would have been something else this year.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
OEL replaces both Krug and Chara. They lacked size with Krug and mobility with Chara. OEL will equal both of those guys salaries and he is 29 and better then both guys.

Reactions: bernmeister

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
OEL replaces both Krug and Chara. They lacked size with Krug and mobility with Chara. OEL will equal both of those guys salaries and he is 29 and better then both guys.

LOL. I guess being half as good offensively as Krug and half as good defensively as Chara equals better than both?

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
LOL. I guess being half as good offensively as Krug and half as good defensively as Chara equals better than both?

Krug is too small for the playoffs and yes he is offensive but a slower skater who gets physically out matched a lot. Chara is all but cooked, they may not even sign him, even though he wants to play again.

OEL is at least 6'2" and at 29 yrs old, he can fill the gap till the younger guys are ready - Urho Vaakanainen and Zboril. The other two spots on left dee will be Matt Grzelcyk and bottom guy in rookie Lauzon. Keeping John Moore as the extra vet lefty. One of those could be picked up in the Seattle draft, making room for Vaak or Zboril.

They also picked a couple College puck movers Copper Zech and Jack Ahcan, who are Krug clones. So losing those 2 guys is no big deal. It will happen anyways without them going after OEL, it may well be Taylor Hall.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Bruins i think would be better off inquiring about Yandle. Can replace Krug on the PP and would come much cheaper than OEL.

There is no bigger passenger in the league, doesn't scream a Cassidy player to me.

They also picked up sought after College puck mover Jack Ahcan, who some say is a Krug clone. So losing those 2 guys is no big deal. It will happen anyways without them going after OEL, it may well be Taylor Hall.

I just can't believe some people see losing Krug "no big deal". I guess we will see next year, though. In my opinion, he's a top 10 offensive defenceman in the NHL, possibly top 5.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Pasta 24
McAvoy 22
Carlo 23
DeBrusk 23
Coyle 28
Studnicka 21

Throw in OEL 29y and a u30 forward and why would the window be 1-3 years?
The roster as is build today won't compete, with aggressive offseason hell yeah

Bergeron 35
Krejci 34

That's why

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They have to be interested in OEL and they pretty much have to get him, because if not then there could be some MASSIVE holes left on Krug and Chara leave

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
OEL can shoot the puck on net and get it thru. A skill the Bruins were severely lacking against Tampa. Heck he can even score when he shoots. Would be an upgrade on Krug, will age better than Krug and can be used in more situations than Krug. Not sure how it helps the forward group, but I guess you have to see what the package would be to get him and how much cap room you have left after.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Not sure how Coyote fans feel about that but if I'm the Arizona gm, I would jump at that in a heart beat. I love Carlo.
I’m a Coyotes fan and I’d do it. It basically erases the league sanction and gives us a quality young D to help somewhat make up for the loss of OEL. The team gets a lot worse but gains a little flexibility and might be able to mitigate the loss in other areas as well.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trading Carlo in OEL trade makes no sense

Bergeron 35
Krejci 34

That's why

Bergeron is the guy you worry about, not Krejci.
Krejci leaving in a year gives you 7.25M in cap space

Marchand/Hall/Pasta can drive the top6 for years with Bergeron& Coyle in the middle

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Neither do I but I think that would be the best offer that Arizona will see for OEL.

They should’t see it though
You can’t lose Krug, Chara, Carlo in short amount of time and just add OEL.

The goal is to try to get better and not destroy the depth fully

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Arizona is going to have a really hard timing moving OEL and I think their fans are going to be disappointed with the return, particularly because AZ is seemingly not willing to take much if any salary back.

How many teams need a LHD, are in a position to absorb $8.25M in salary - and willing to do that for the next 7 years. And, OEL has a NMC, so he can basically dictate where he goes. And let's not forget teams planning to protect assets in anticipation of the expansion draft.

What teams fit that profile?

Boston - according to people in this thread.
Detroit - but not a contender - would OEL waive?
LA Kings - seems a bit early in the rebuild for this type of move.
Colorado - they really don't have long term cap space and they have a lot of d in the pipeline.
NJD - seems possible actually.
Winnipeg - seems possible - would OEL waive?
NYR - ?

Obviously, there are other options if Arizona will take salary back. But in that case, AZ is going to expect a pretty strong package of assets.

Reactions: bernmeister

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Here's what Boston's defensive depth looks like if we're sending Carlo+ for OEL:

OEL/McAvoy
Grzelcyk/Lauzon
Chara/Clifton
Moore (@ $2.75m)
(Zboril/Vaak)

That's two top pairing d-men and seven bottom-pairing d-men (for now - Lauzon could certainly be top-4, and Zboril and Vaak could also be, maybe, possibly, if they ever actually get more than a half a dozen games in the NHL).

Unless you go:
Chara(lol)/Mac
OEL(8.25m)/Lauzon

Sorry, OEL's $8.25m is going to Hall!

Edit: Sorry, forgot Steven Kampfer. Make that 8 bottom-pairing d-men.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
On last week’s 31 Thoughts Podcast, both Friedman and Marek were emphatic that Boston was highly interested in OEL before he re-signed and stated that Boston was ready to make a very large offer if he hit UFA. They then speculated that Boston might have interest in OEL now that he’s on the trade market.

On today’s episode, they again reiterated that they think Boston is a “Big OEL team”.

I found this interesting. Both hosts seemed very confident about all of this and agreed with eachother.
Krug and Chata gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad