Friedman: Boston Possibly Interested in OEL?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Pasta 24
McAvoy 22
Carlo 23
DeBrusk 23
Coyle 28
Studnicka 21

Throw in OEL 29y and a u30 forward and why would the window be 1-3 years?
The roster as is build today won't compete, with aggressive offseason hell yeah
Because teams need a very strong #1 and #2C.

There isn't either one of those there.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
The Bruins are in serious trouble. For starters they are a one line team. They need to build a second scoring line. Vaakanainen should replace Chara and they can probably find a cheap UFA righty defenseman. I would buyout Krejci if they can't deal him. I'd be all in on RNH if he was available.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
What would Arizona get in return?

Debrusk+1st+prospect?

They could probably do better.

Considering his cap hit and his declining numbers over the past 3 year in a flat cap I think that offer is more then enough . He is currently make more real dollars then his 8.250 million dollar cap hit .

Reactions: bernmeister

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Because teams need a very strong #1 and #2C.

There isn't either one of those there.

The thing that group is missing a 1C
But Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta is a legit top line for few years.
Add Hall, Coyle, DeBrusk, Studnicka behind them and they have strong midd6 as well.

If you have Marchand, Hall, Pasta on wing I don’t think you need both an elite 1C and elite 2C, you do need a 1C though but Sweeney would have couple of years to figure it out or rebuild

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Would Arizona take back salary for ONE YEAR? Meaning Krejci being part of the deal. They would get a 1st+ back at the deadline for Krejci easily.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If Ekman-Larsson gets moved, I’m really curious to see what it’s for. I don’t think that contract is very attractive.

Reactions: duckpuck

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
The Bruins are in serious trouble. For starters they are a one line team. They need to build a second scoring line. Vaakanainen should replace Chara and they can probably find a cheap UFA righty defenseman. I would buyout Krejci if they can't deal him. I'd be all in on RNH if he was available.
Trouble? A one line team who is one forward short from having a strong 2nd line. Krug walks they have cap space to add a forward. Pastrnak McAvoy Marchand Carlo, this team is hardly “in trouble”.

I haven’t watched much of OEL so I can’t speak on that, but my hope is teams need to move out some players to get under the flat cap this offseason, and maybe Sweeney will be right there ready to take advantage

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Bruins still have a couple good years left in them imo. OEL would be a solid addition depending on what goes the other way. Once Rask, Bergeron, and Krejci either retire or start to decline sharply, then the Bruins are in trouble.

Reactions: bernmeister

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Serious trouble? Bad take by you there.
They don’t need a righty d-man. McAvoy/Carlo/Clifton and Moore can play the right side.
Why would they buy out there second line center?
Only thing you have said that makes any sense is more offense.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
What would Arizona get in return?

Debrusk+1st+prospect?

They could probably do better.

They could also definitely do worse. Debrusk, late 1st, and a middle prospect gets them a solid Mid 6 winger and two assets for a very young ARZ team.

The Coyotes are in a funny position as their current build clearly isn't cutting it and they haven't landed gold, yet, with their youth. The jury remains out on Keller but it seems Schmaltz and Dvorak are gonna be keepers. Stepan and Kessel have 1 and 2 more years. Hall is likely gone and if OEL gets moved ARZ has a very weak defense.

Interesting position for ARZ

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Which prospect is Boston willing to offer up? If it's a roster forward coming back, gotta think it's a D prospect, and if a roster D coming back, then likely a forward prospect.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Would have to be strictly futures given AZ’s cutting salary, no?

Depends, but OEL isn't likely the only one moving. Kuemper, Raanta, Stepan, and maybe another D are good bets.

Also hard to imagine Boston taking on ~8 mil in one shot and not sending at least some money back.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
To get ORL you need to give up a decent Dman...otherwise no deal can happen.

Ari needing to cut budget lowers his value.

Moore+ Dprospect+ is pick/forward prospect

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Pasta 24
McAvoy 22
Carlo 23
DeBrusk 23
Coyle 28
Studnicka 21

Throw in OEL 29y and a u30 forward and why would the window be 1-3 years?
The roster as is build today won't compete, with aggressive offseason hell yeah

Agree.
Prob is not 1-3, maybe 4 yrs,
Prob is yrs 4 thru 7.
Short term gain, long term pain.
But works for BOS right now.

Why is that so hard to believe? They think OEL is worth it and Krug isn't.

The thing to note with OEL is that he has an NMC. If Arizona wants to get rid of him, he can dictate the location.
Concur, but I think he waives for Bs.

Arizona is going to have a really hard timing moving OEL and I think their fans are going to be disappointed with the return, particularly because AZ is seemingly not willing to take much if any salary back.

How many teams need a LHD, are in a position to absorb $8.25M in salary - and willing to do that for the next 7 years. And, OEL has a NMC, so he can basically dictate where he goes. And let's not forget teams planning to protect assets in anticipation of the expansion draft.

What teams fit that profile?

Boston - according to people in this thread.
Detroit - but not a contender - would OEL waive?
LA Kings - seems a bit early in the rebuild for this type of move.
Colorado - they really don't have long term cap space and they have a lot of d in the pipeline.
NJD - seems possible actually.
Winnipeg - seems possible - would OEL waive?
NYR - ?

Obviously, there are other options if Arizona will take salary back. But in that case, AZ is going to expect a pretty strong package of assets.

1. Rangers not interested
2. Obv, the more 'yotes retain, the more Bs will add.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Which prospect is Boston willing to offer up? If it's a roster forward coming back, gotta think it's a D prospect, and if a roster D coming back, then likely a forward prospect.
Jake DeBrusk and Urho Vaakanainen? Maybe they toss in Nick Ritchie for cap reasons? Maybe we toss in Christian Fischer as cheap roster option?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Do we think this goes down basically small package or do we think it gets larger w/Raanta added for more swag?

Streamlines rebuild for AZ
covers B ass in G for next year, maybe 2.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Jake DeBrusk and Urho Vaakanainen? Maybe they toss in Nick Ritchie for cap reasons? Maybe we toss in Christian Fischer as cheap roster option?

Bostons biggedt need is to improve secondary scoring, and now they lose DeBrusk for s Dman?

Overall that seems pretty high value given the current situation

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Ari needing to cut budget lowers his value.

Moore+ Dprospect+ is pick/forward prospect
No, they don't need to trade OEL. Next season will suck but then numerous high priced veterans will be off the books (Stepan, Goligoski, Hjalmarsson...). The idea of trading OEL is to recoup some picks/prospects and start a rebuild.

Pretty sure the ask will be a 1st round pick and a player or very good prospect. Maybe all three.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Didn’t Can Neely just say the B’s management has to take a very hard look on where their team is at, and if they are still able to compete for a Cup? From his comments it sounds like they are more interested in rebuilding, than adding OEL.

What I took from that quote was they needed to decide between a retool and going for it. OEL or Hall would be indicative of the latter which I'm sure is very much on the table. Honestly I'd consider a rebuild kind of disrespectful to their underpaid veterans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad