Friedman: Boston Possibly Interested in OEL?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is probably a little of column A and column B here. Your team has been search for a real #1C since... man... when was the last time the Habs had a real #1C? Bruins have had a pretty good run of finding a number 1C from Oates to Allison to Thornton to Savard to Krejci to Bergeron for a good 30 years with only a few Jozef Stumpel flavored blips along the way. Bruins obviously feel very good about Studnicka and they think Coyle is just hitting his stride as a Kevin Hayes like #2C. Is Studnicka/Coyle good enough? Probably not. But they have some time to figure that out.

I just don't see them having being as strong up the middle and with Chara gone. I've played hockey and know the importance of centers and a beast like that at the back end. He's still a force to deal with. Probability is it takes them longer than 3 years to find centers that keeps them as contenders. Best pieces are Pasta, Marchand, and McAvoy. Not saying the others suck but trying to sell that into more than what it is? I'm doubtful and teams don't stay contenders that long.

Coyle is a 3C. That's not going to change at the age of 28. Studnicka has not had substantially better development than Evans with the Habs in the AHL. If everything goes very very well with him, he might be a 2C (maybe). He appears to be a better talent than Evans yes.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think the idea of the Coyotes moving OEL is to not take salary back and recoup futures. Right now they have 17 players signed with $1M in cap space. And the rumors are they want to get to a certain budget level. Doubt the budget level is $81.5M. Probably more like $70M.
They only have $40M in salary still due (they've payed out ~$20M in bonuses already). There's not much fat left to trim. Cap number is meaningless as long as we're under $81.5M.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They only have $40M in salary still due (they've payed out ~$20M in bonuses already). There's not much fat left to trim. Cap number is meaningless as long as we're under $81.5M.

The money already paid might be part of the budget bud. That was not free money. That money is paid up front for the following season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Haha. Serious man, I’d have to go look for it, but I believe it was.

I didn’t think the consensus would be B’s fans going for that.
I’d do OEL and Fischer for Carlo, DeBrusk and Ritchie. I think it’s more likely we only get one of Carlo or DeBrusk, though. Then we get some futures along with them.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For what it's worth... Friedman is one of the biggest click bait speculation guys out there. He has to keep his job someway right? How often is he right? :sarcasm:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The money already paid might be part of the budget bud. That was not free
Right, "bud". It definitely is. But that means payroll currently is ~$60M with a few spots to fill at the bottom of the line up. Should be easy to get under $70M.
It also means dealing guys whose contracts are mostly paid out like OEL, Demers, Hjalmarsson, Stepan, etc isn't going to save them a bunch of money despite their cap hits, "bud"-- especially when you consider a replacement eats a bunch of it even on an ELC. OEL will save them money next year, so there's a rationale there. The others just drop off or are dealt at the deadline with retention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Right, "bud". It definitely is. But that means payroll currently is ~$60M with a few spots to fill at the bottom of the line up. Should be easy to get under $70M.
It also means dealing guys whose contracts are mostly paid up like OEL, Demers, Hjalmarsson, Stepan, etc identical isn't going to save them a bunch of money despite their cap hits, "bud"-- especially when you consider a replacement eats a bunch of it even on an ELC. OEL will save them money next year, so there's a rationale there. The others just drop off or are dealt at the deadline with retention.

I believe the idea of moving him now is to unload the contract commitment and get futures and avoid any further slip down where it's harder to move next year? What the new owner and new GM are thinking is undetermined. All we know is the Owner was late on Bonus payments right?

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I’d do OEL and Fischer for Carlo, DeBrusk and Ritchie. I think it’s more likely we only get one of Carlo or DeBrusk, though. Then we get some figures along with them.
I’d do that too

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I have a good understanding but you got your Bruins glasses on and think you will be contenders forever. You listed Bergeron at 38 as your #1C in 3 years. Coyle as your 2C. I think you are in for a rude awakening in 3 years if you think your contender years are prolonged

I’m not the one here expecting Sweeney to make zero moves, signings, draft picks in the next 3 years, c’moon now.

Bergeron is 35y next season, 36y the year after.
Bergeron today is elite.

Marchand is one of the best wingers in the game.
Pasta is 24y and one of the best wingers in the game.
That’s an elite top line for you.

Hall is 29y, Coyle 28y, there’s an elite 2nd line for you, tough to play against.

DeBrusk is 23y top6winger, Studnicka had 49 points in his 1st 60 pro games (ahl).
Potential 2nd line C.

McAvoy is 22y franchise Dman,
Carlo 23y shutdown top4.
Grzelcyk top4
Boston has plenty of quality Dprospects in the AHL to fill up the bottom roles.

Krejci 7.25M is off the books soon, Moore 2.7M is off the books soon, Backes 50% retained as well.

The only big contracts to sign are McAvoy in 2 years and Pasta in 3y.

There doesnt’t need to be a 1-3 year window and act like trades are not allowed

But sure come back with a reply that expects Boston to keep the exact same roster for 3 years, make zero trades, zero signings and make no picks

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’m not the one here expecting Sweeney to make zero moves, signings, draft picks in the next 3 years, c’moon now.

Bergeron today is elite.

Hall is 29y, Coyle 28y, there’s an elite 2nd line for you, tough to play against.

DeBrusk is 23y top6winger, Studnicka had 49 points in his 1st 60 pro games (ahl).
Potential 2nd line C.

Carlo 23y shutdown top4.
Grzelcyk top4

Krejci 7.25M is off the books soon, Moore 2.7M is off the books soon, Backes 50% retained as well.

But sure come back with a reply that expects Boston to keep the exact same roster for 3 years, make zero trades, zero signings and make no picks

Three years ago the Habs won the division with the Sens in 2nd place.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I just don't see them having being as strong up the middle and with Chara gone. I've played hockey and know the importance of centers and a beast like that at the back end. He's still a force to deal with. Probability is it takes them longer than 3 years to find centers that keeps them as contenders. Best pieces are Pasta, Marchand, and McAvoy. Not saying the others suck but trying to sell that into more than what it is? I'm doubtful and teams don't stay contenders that long.

Coyle is a 3C. That's not going to change at the age of 28. Studnicka has not had substantially better development than Evans with the Habs in the AHL. If everything goes very very well with him, he might be a 2C (maybe). He appears to be a better talent than Evans yes.

Evans is 24y Stud 21y, major diffrence

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Bergeron today is elite.

Potential 2nd line C.

Carlo 23y shutdown top4.
Grzelcyk top4

Don't waste your time. I am aware of the context at play and you think I don't know the Bruins system and pipeline. I know more about it than you think. Hate to burst your bubble but the Bruins won't be contenders forever. Keep dreaming

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
So Boston won't sign Krug because he will want like 8 million but they are interested in an older defender who is much like Krug and makes 8.25 million for 7 more years?

Yeah makes sense!

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
So Boston won't sign Krug because he will want like 8 million but they are interested in an older defender who is much like Krug and makes 8.25 million for 7 more years?

Yeah makes sense!
they are the same age.......

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Yeah makes sense!

Same age. One is 6'2" and skates well. One is 5'9" and does not have great speed. One goes against top competition. One is the most sheltered d-man in the NHL. One scores 15-20 goals a season. One has a career high of 14 goals.

I don't mean all those comments to crap on Krug. I love him. Great PP player. Great leader. So so so easy to root for as a guy who uses his smarts and moxy to succeed. He really gets "it" and he loves playing in Boston. It's honestly heartbreaking to see him go, but the Bruins can't afford the luxury of being able to shelter someone that much anymore with Chara on the way out the door.

Reactions: _Del_ and Hookslide

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Same age. One is 6'2" and skates well. One is 5'9" and does not have great speed. One goes against top competition. One is the most sheltered d-man in the NHL. One scores 15-20 goals a season. One has a career high of 14 goals.

I don't mean all those comments to crap on Krug. I love him. Great PP player. Great leader. So so so easy to root for as a guy who uses his smarts and moxy to succeed. He really gets "it" and he loves playing in Boston. It's honestly heartbreaking to see him go, but the Bruins can't afford the luxury of being able to shelter someone that much anymore with Chara on the way out the door.
not worth the money he wants ......very overrated player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad