Friedman: Boston Possibly Interested in OEL?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Carlo and Krug (and potentially Z) seems like way too much turnover in Boston's d core for 1 season.

Which means this deal would need to centre around picks, prospects and forwards, and I am not sure Boston should be moving any of those for OEL right now. I do love the idea of him and McAvoy, though.

Might be we need to wait and see where Hall falls.

Reactions: BB88

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Carlo and Krug (and potentially Z) seems like way too much turnover in Boston's d core for 1 season.

Which means this deal would need to centre around picks, prospects and forwards, and I am not sure Boston should be moving any of those for OEL right now. I do love the idea of him and McAvoy, though.

Might be we need to wait and see where Hall falls.

The Dcore needs to be

#1 McAvoy
#2 X
#3 Carlo

No need to just fully destroy it

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pasta 24
McAvoy 22
Carlo 23
DeBrusk 23
Coyle 28
Studnicka 21

Throw in OEL 29y and a u30 forward and why would the window be 1-3 years?
The roster as is build today won't compete, with aggressive offseason hell yeah

Who's the centers? Goalie? I think you will be surprised to the results without being strong up the middle. Unless you can find two impact centers to replace the ones you got in 3+ years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bruins can't compete with the Habs over OEL if the Coyotes don't want a contract back and only futures. Habs have better picks and prospects to dangle. 6 pages so far... What are the Bruins offering in a potential trade?

19 players signed with $14.4M in cap space. After OEL, it's 20 players signed with $6.15M in space left to sign Debrusk and Grzelcyk. Seems like it might fit?

OEL also has a NMC so he dictates where he goes

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Who's the centers? Goalie? I think you will be surprised to the results without being strong up the middle. Unless you can find two impact centers to replace the ones you got in 3+ years.

We've heard this time and time again now.

Marchand- Bergeron- Pasta
Hall- Coyle- x
DeBrusk- Studnicka- x

Is a contending top9 right now, and gives Sweeney time to add to C group, yes #1C will be a major issue if Sweeney does nothing to address it.
To start he could do it by adding a premiun winger who with Marchand& Pasta would drive play from the wing.

Behind that offense is a franchise Dman.

Neither Vegas or Dallas are where they are today because of an elite C group.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Boston needs to kill two birds here,getting both some secondary scoring and some defensive help....In saying this its likely they dont have the means to get both Hall and OEL....So getting two lessor players is likely the play here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We've heard this time and time again now.

Marchand- Bergeron- Pasta
Hall- Coyle- x
DeBrusk- Studnicka- x

Is a contending top9 right now, and gives Sweeney time to add to C group, yes #1C will be a major issue if Sweeney does nothing to address it.
To start he could do it by adding a premiun winger who with Marchand& Pasta could drive play from the wing.

Neither Vegas or Dallas are where they are today because of an elite C group.

Sorry... I don't agree. I'm not saying you are left with garbage but in 3 years Chara is gone for sure, Bergeron is 38, and Krejci is 37. You listed a 38 year old Bergevin as your #1C in 3 years with Coyle as the 2C? And you also listed Hall who you don't have signed yet. Chara is still playing 20 min a game and I think you are underselling the impact he still has.

Bruins have work to do if they want to continue to be as good as they are today in 3+ years. Reality. You can have your own opinion of hope. Your prerogative

Who you adding? Hall or OEL? You can't have both?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Boston needs to kill two birds here,getting both some secondary scoring and some defensive help....In saying this its likely they dont have the means to get both Hall and OEL....So getting two lessor players is likely the play here

Don't have the means would be about cap space right? Right now they have 19 players signed with $14.4M in cap space. Key RFA's to sign are Debrusk and Grzelcyk. Only room to add one $9M contract.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Don't have the means would be about cap space right? Right now they have 19 players signed with $14.4M in cap space. Key RFA's to sign are Debrusk and Grzelcyk. Only room to add one $9M contract.
That and parts to move,Boston also needs to have some cap space available to facilitate depth moves

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just curious, why is Krug gone? Surely if you are willing to give OEL 8.25 you could give Krug that

Krug starts 70% of the time in the offensive end. That might be the highest by far in the NHL. And the funny part is he still manages to be the worse +/- guy on their back end. Go figure eh? Krug is great with the puck but not so so good without the puck. This is why the Bruins won't pay him as a complete top pairing guy. I don't blame them

Bruins have sheltered Krug clearly with his usage

Reactions: Mr Positive

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That and parts to move,Boston also needs to have some cap space available to facilitate depth moves

Not many depth moves to make though. After Debrusk and Grelcyk, it's 21 players signed. Add one of Hall or OEL and then Chara for a $1M deal and that's a 23 man roster.

I hate the Bruins but they do appear to have room for a $9M contract. Tight but workable. Depends on what Dubrusk and Grelcyk ask for though? $3M each too low or high or just right?

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I’ve seen a couple proposals from B’s fans at:

Debrusk
Carlo
1st

for

OEL
Fischer

Feels like that favors AZ, no?

Thoughts from Bruins fans?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Not many depth moves to make though. After Debrusk and Grelcyk, it's 21 players signed. Add one of Hall or OEL and then Chara for a $1M deal and that's a 23 man roster.

I hate the Bruins but they do appear to have room for a $9M contract. Tight but workable. Depends on what Dubrusk and Grelcyk ask for though? $3M each too low or high or just right?
Yeah they are tight....Iam just not sure adding one player is enough though....They really need more consistant scoring after the big line,and will likely need to replace the offense from the blueline once Krug leaves....Going to be interesting how they do this for sure

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’ve seen a couple proposals from B’s fans at:

Debrusk
Carlo
1st

for

OEL
Fischer

Feels like that favors AZ, no?

Thoughts from Bruins fans?

I think the idea of the Coyotes moving OEL is to not take salary back and recoup futures. Right now they have 17 players signed with $1M in cap space. And the rumors are they want to get to a certain budget level. Doubt the budget level is $81.5M. Probably more like $70M.

Reactions: SR

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins can't compete with the Habs over OEL if the Coyotes don't want a contract back and only futures. Habs have better picks and prospects to dangle. 6 pages so far... What are the Bruins offering in a potential trade?

19 players signed with $14.4M in cap space. After OEL, it's 20 players signed with $6.15M in space left to sign Debrusk and Grzelcyk. Seems like it might fit?

OEL also has a NMC so he dictates where he goes

The bolded is the big question mark. You would think teams like EDM or WPG would be most motivated to make a deal, but will OEL go there? Same could be said about BOS or MTL for that matter. How much OEL wants to drive anything matters a lot here, but it's completely unknown.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The bolded is the big question mark. You would think teams like EDM or WPG would be most motivated to make a deal, but will OEL go there? Same could be said about BOS or MTL for that matter. How much OEL wants to drive anything matters a lot here, but it's completely unknown.

Put yourself in his shoes. He probably wants to play with a real RD partner. Both the Bruins and Habs have that. Both the Bruins and Habs have the cap space too.

Coyotes won't trade him to a team that tries to dump salary back or ask for retention. They are trying to get down to budget level in my opinion so they are after futures.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sorry... I don't agree. I'm not saying you are left with garbage but in 3 years Chara is gone for sure, Bergeron is 38, and Krejci is 37. You listed a 38 year old Bergevin as your #1C in 3 years with Coyle as the 2C? And you also listed Hall who you don't have signed yet. Chara is still playing 20 min a game and I think you are underselling the impact he still has.

Bruins have work to do if they want to continue to be as good as they are today in 3+ years. Reality. You can have your own opinion of hope. Your prerogative

Who you adding? Hall or OEL? You can't have both?

You really just have no understanding of the team, you just keep beating the same drum.

That was lineup listed for 20-22 seasons

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You really just have no understanding of the team, you just keep beating the same drum.

That was lineup listed for 20-22 seasons

I have a good understanding but you got your Bruins glasses on and think you will be contenders forever. You listed Bergeron at 38 as your #1C in 3 years. Coyle as your 2C. I think you are in for a rude awakening in 3 years if you think your contender years are prolonged

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
On last week’s 31 Thoughts Podcast, both Friedman and Marek were emphatic that Boston was highly interested in OEL before he re-signed and stated that Boston was ready to make a very large offer if he hit UFA. They then speculated that Boston might have interest in OEL now that he’s on the trade market.

On today’s episode, they again reiterated that they think Boston is a “Big OEL team”.

I found this interesting. Both hosts seemed very confident about all of this and agreed with eachother.
Adding to the Friedman and Marek comments today was the Arizona Coyotes beat-writer Craig Morgan (really the only guy in the state who covers the team professionally). He said Boston was a possibility and speculated that Carlo and/or DeBrusk could be involved.

I’d link it, but it’s paywalled and I’m sure only Coyotes fans would pay for the content. Haha.

EDIT:
Link to paywall. At least give him a follow. Only Yotes newsbreaker our there:

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I have a good understanding but you got your Bruins glasses on and think you will be contenders forever. You listed Bergeron at 38 as your #1C in 3 years. Coyle as your 2C. I think you are in for a rude awakening in 3 years if you think your contender years are prolonged

There is probably a little of column A and column B here. Your team has been search for a real #1C since... man... when was the last time the Habs had a real #1C? Bruins have had a pretty good run of finding a number 1C from Oates to Allison to Thornton to Savard to Krejci to Bergeron for a good 30 years with only a few Jozef Stumpel flavored blips along the way. Bruins obviously feel very good about Studnicka and they think Coyle is just hitting his stride as a Kevin Hayes like #2C. Is Studnicka/Coyle good enough? Probably not. But they have some time to figure that out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad